Topic: Updates to Bluthner & D4?

I bought the Bluthner add-on about a month before the Model B came out and loved it. However, since I got the Model B I don't enjoy playing any if the other pianos anymore as they feel lacking in something. So, well done to Modartt on the Model B, but is there any chance of getting updates to the other pianos to make them enjoyable again? I feel like buying the Bluthner was a bit of a waste atm. Any idea of when they might get updated? Can they be updated?

Re: Updates to Bluthner & D4?

Do you mean to say that something changed about the Bluthner and the D4 or that the Model B set a new standard that you'd like the others to match?

If it's the former, you can always go back to an earlier Pianoteq version without the Model B. That is, have two versions installed and run whichever you feel like using. (I don't know how easy this is on systems other than Linux but it should also be feasible on Windows or Mac OS. More knowledgeable folks should be able to help you out. Or you can contact support.)

If it's the latter, then patience is a virtue. I'm sure the team are working on making every model the best it can be ASAP. R&D takes time.

Last edited by SteveLy (20-02-2016 02:38)
3/2 = 5

Human nature get used fast with good things...
I'm sure he refers about the new standart of quality, that now makes hin feel more critical to the older models.

I presume Modartt will update the instruments that are the most required. Maybe the Bechstein from Kremesegg collection could be a good option too.

Talking about old pianos, I found the oldest surviving piano (Bartolomeo Cristofori) is still working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2WdjyKQ57A

Would that be agood choice for the KIViR Project ?

It looks closer to a harpsychord than to a piano as we know.

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-02-2016 03:15)

I meant the latter. It would be nice to hear something official from Modartt on this if possible. Confirmation that they will be upgraded would suffice for now.

me to I also want improvement but I think the difference between Bluethner, D4 and Model B is only due to different piano.

Hi Aidan,

I think I should chime in and tell that we do indeed regularly improve our products. However, we currently cannot tell when/if a certain instrument will
be updated.

Do not hesitate contacting our support team if you have any further questions.

Beto-Music wrote:

I presume Modartt will update the instruments that are the most required. Maybe the Bechstein from Kremesegg collection could be a good option too.

That is a very nice unique one for sure.

Beto-Music wrote:

Talking about old pianos, I found the oldest surviving piano (Bartolomeo Cristofori) is still working

Love it! It's the clunkiness of it though that makes it so charming. There are a lot of mechanical noises and imperfections there that might be difficult to include in a physical model (except as sampled extra sounds, but that probably would not do it justice). Also I'm not sure I'd be playing it very much. It's very nice to listen to, much like the very earliest professional photos are a pleasure to look at, but one would not want to use the same equipment these days.

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

... one would not want to use the same equipment these days.

Well ...

http://www.penumbrafoundation.org/workshops/

Pretty much every photographic process ever invented has made a comeback. Not an exact parallel with the HIPP movement in music, but there is some overlap.

I'd guess Cristofori's piano sounded rather different when it was new, nearly 400 years ago. Sounds amazingly good now, though. I wonder what kind of restoration has been done on it.

Do you know how to clean old negatives for scanning?

In my dumb city, I went to a photo service, that do something similar to Kodak photo CD, to try scan 35mm negatives to restore digital myself, and they said they only work in JPG.  I tried to explain about bit depth, importante specially to restore faded 35mm film negative image. I said everything need, gave example that if a layer is 80% faded, a JGP that have only 256 tonalities per channels and would get just just 1/5 of it (51 tonalities) after enhance the blue channel to recover the color.

I explained that they just needed to gime the fotos scanned in at least 10 bit per channel, that all good scanner could do, and they only needed to adjust to save the image in a good format.  But the dumbness was all around there, and they only keep saying:  We only work in JPG.
I could hang someone there this day...

If these silly guys don't even give a damn to bit depth quality to recover color, what would I expect about cleaning the negatives prior scanning. I would not even risk to let they do it.

Some sites talk about isopropyl alcohol, but other said it would destroy film emulsion.

SteveLy wrote:

the very earliest professional photos are a pleasure to look at, but one would not want to use the same equipment these days.

It would be interesting to compare the sound of the original (probably restored) with the sound of a new (recreation folowing Cristofori design):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB5RwVuQack

SteveLy wrote:

I'd guess Cristofori's piano sounded rather different when it was new, nearly 400 years ago. Sounds amazingly good now, though. I wonder what kind of restoration has been done on it.

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-02-2016 18:41)

I think the difference between Bluethner, D4 and Model B is only due to different piano.

As far as I know they updated the main engine to accommodate the new Model B - this was mentioned before anyways somewhere in this forum. What I was hoping for was that these updates of the engine would be incorporated into the other piano instruments. Again I'm not sure if this will be done or not or is possible or not.

They already explained this.

The new algorithms are used in Steinway-B, but to use in all other isntruments this would require considerable work to preserve 99,9% of the sound of the old models as we know.
There were other past changes that was easier adressed to all models when it was update, like when they changed the soundboard algorithm model.

Somehow this last technologic goal require more modifications in older models, more rework for each model, in orther to preserve their sound characteristics, character etc..

They will probably update some more models, but will take some time.
Be patient.

PunBB bbcode test

Aidan wrote:

I think the difference between Bluethner, D4 and Model B is only due to different piano.

As far as I know they updated the main engine to accommodate the new Model B - this was mentioned before anyways somewhere in this forum. What I was hoping for was that these updates of the engine would be incorporated into the other piano instruments. Again I'm not sure if this will be done or not or is possible or not.

Ok thanks that's good info. Will be patient...

Beto-Music wrote:

They already explained this.

The new algorithms are used in Steinway-B, but to use in all other isntruments this would require considerable work to preserve 99,9% of the sound of the old models as we know.
There were other past changes that was easier adressed to all models when it was update, like when they changed the soundboard algorithm model.

I've got version 5, but I still run version 4, so I'd go for it, update them all, as it shouldn't affect your ability to play previous version. Improving it can't ever be a bad thing.

I think version 5 is fine as it is. The only thing I'd really like to see added is a dedicated way of adding more timbre to the sound, its easier to achieve this on the Bluethner than on the other models. Also, more effects combinations than the current three.