Topic: dirty sound - Model B... Why???

What happens with the note C5 and surrounding it? Where such a dirty sound?

https://soundcloud.com/yuripavl/pianote...5-problem/

Re: dirty sound - Model B... Why???

Not sure exactly what you're referring to but try it with Duplex scale turned down (if you have the Std or Pro model; if you have Stage, you could still try it on the demo version of the Std). Do you still hear it?

It's probably some resonance + dissonant interference effect that happens to be stronger near that note. Real instruments are not uniform either as far as subtle (and occasionally not so subtle) characteristics of each note is concerned. It may very well be part of of the physical behaviour of the acoustic instruments on which the Pianoteq model is based.

Last edited by SteveLy (14-02-2016 05:44)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

Not sure exactly what you're referring to but try it with Duplex scale turned down

O! Thanks! Duplex Scale:0 clean the sound (I use STD ver)!
But it is very strange that only on this piano (model B), this problem is present. I tried this same MIDI to U4, D4, Bluethner - no problem.

This is track with Duplex Scale:0 with normal sound -
https://soundcloud.com/yuripavl/model-b...ex-scale-0

Glad that worked. It's not really that strange, since each piano will have its own characteristics. Duplex scale resonance is from part of the string that extends beyond its normal full length, across a bridge and a supporting pin past the bridge. I think it's called duplex because each string is doubled up (goes around the pin and runs back across the soundboard the other way). But I could be wrong about the details and the terminology.

In any case, the distance between the bridge and the pin determines what duplex scale resonant frequencies there will be and those are normally fixed by the manufacturer. Each model of piano will be different and it's virtually impossible not to have some variations/anomalies here and there. There are some pianos (but not many) with tunable duplex scale and perhaps that would be a nice additional parameter to include in Pianoteq (whether the original acoustic instrument has it or not).

Meanwhile, you could also experiment with tweaking the hammer strike point and the string length and see if you can tune out unwanted resonances that way.

btw. in Pro you can adjust Duplex scale note by note. Having it set to zero across the whole instrument will kill some of the tonal richness of the instrument as a whole. I'm sending you an email shortly.

Last edited by SteveLy (14-02-2016 09:34)
3/2 = 5