Topic: New instruments in Pianoteq

Hello,

I have just bough Pianoteq and I am new to it. I really enjoy it

There are plenty of instruments available and I am sure new will be coming. Because PT has so many parameters to fiddle with I was wondering about it for some time.

How is it possible to create an instruments that would sound similarly or like as any instrument or set available to buy? I guess the first thing I would needed would be a full and PRO version of PT. However, providing I have a full version with all parameters available regarding, Voice, Tune, Note Edition, etc., can I do it? Can I create sound of let's say Model B or even more, as far as the program allows, can I create sound of a grand piano at my school? Or do you think developers leave this one part of simulation for themselves and we can only alter what has been created by developers?

Could someone clarify this for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by Celdor (12-02-2016 10:30)

Re: New instruments in Pianoteq

Quick answer: no. Even if you own the Pro version of Pianoteq you cannot completely modify a piano model to sound like another one. The core of the piano is not available to the user so the model D will never sound like the model B or the U4 Upright. What you can do is modify some parameters (in the Standard and Pro version) and get almost a completely different sound in terms of inharmonicity, overtones and stuff like that. Each model is unique in that regard.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Some aspects of the model are beyond user control. You cannot turn one instrument model into another, but with the Pro version there are a lot of parameters you can tweak and probably get close to what you're after.

A real instrument also has more subtle physical characteristics that Pianoteq includes "under the hood". These go beyond what you can control even in the Pro version. From what I understand, there is so much more to a real instrument that it would not be possible to give the user full control over the model because it would be too complex for them to manage.

You'd basically end up having to deal with too many cross-correlated parameters. There are already roughly 20000+ parameters in the Pro version but they don't have an unmanageable degree of cross-correlation. In practical terms this means that you can get to a desired outcome by incrementally adjusting one or two parameters at a time. You can navigate the many-dimensional parameter space a few parameters at a time and get to your destination. For the full-blown model you'd need to do some of the most difficult aspects of the programming yourself. 

There is only so far a user-friendly flexible interface can go before it becomes easier to just go open source and tell users to learn the maths/physics and learn how to program. I think Pianoteq strikes a good balance with the Pro version and you can create some amazing new instruments with it.

And to a large extent you can probably achieve what you're asking, but it won't be perfect. Depends on how fussy you are.

PS. I recommend you have a browse in the FXP Corner to see what other users have managed to create. If you have the Std version, that will load any preset made in Pro.

Last edited by SteveLy (12-02-2016 16:39)
3/2 = 5

Thanks guys. I really like the new model B and was wondering if I could achieve anything similar by fine tuning/fiddling with the parameters.

Celdor wrote:

Thanks guys. I really like the new model B and was wondering if I could achieve anything similar by fine tuning/fiddling with the parameters.

No. Just buy the model B. If you can afford the Pro but not the model B to go with it, then just stick with the Std and grab the model B instead and maybe also Kremsegg #2; check out the 1899 Bechstein. You can always upgrade to the Pro later if you wish. The Pro version is a luxury; you don't really need it (and it will take some time to learn to take advantage of it). But new instruments are instant gratification.

Last edited by SteveLy (12-02-2016 14:48)
3/2 = 5