Topic: What does "string length" mean on earth?

I have just purchased the Pianoteq 5 Standard recently, and found a slider called 'string lngth'. But one of my friends said that there's no 'string length' slider in his Version 2. Alternatively, there  was one named 'piano length'. So what does 'string length' in Version 5 actrually mean? The distance between keys and the other end, or the length of the A0 string?

Gnusmas

Re: What does "string length" mean on earth?

Read the manual.

Hard work and guts!

It's the size of the instrument (perhaps the length of the longest string, but I'm not sure on that). All strings have different lengths to fit the given physical model and they change in proportion with the "string length" parameter. It's explained in other threads (I looked it up previously because I was curious too). I haven't saved the links so you'll have to search for yourself. The info is not hard to find. Easy way to narrow the search is to restrict it to Philippe Guillaume's posts.

EvilDragon wrote:

Read the manual.

Unfortunately the manual is not very clear on what is meant by string length. It talks only about "inharmonicity" but does not state anything about the actual length of individual strings and how they (almost) all are different from the "string length" parameter. Maybe soundboard length, or instrument length for grands, or instrument height for uprights would be a less confusing term...?? Buy actually I think "string length" is fine but needs to be better explained in the manual and maybe also in the mouse-hover-pop-up hint.

Last edited by SteveLy (09-02-2016 12:14)
3/2 = 5

Hi
In my opinion, the stringlength is perfectly explained in Mr. Guillame`s Youtubevideo  Episode 9(part 2) tuning voicing and design parameters.

See also http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...93#p928593