Topic: Pianoteq with Focusrite 24 DSP and OSX

Hello everybody,

This is my first post here

I am thinking of downloading a trial version and test Standard Pianoteq a little bit but I have a problem with connections.

My current configuration:
- computer: OSX on MacBook Pro
- audio interface: Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP with old MIDI In/Out and FireWire connection to computer
- digital piano with MIDI keyboard via USB
- digital audio workstation on OSX: Reaper

I am planning to use more MIDI devices later on. I would like to use the Pianoteq with connection of a DP to the audio interface but I am not sure how to configure everything with the computer. I have never done it before! My guess is I would need to connect a piano to the audio interface, the audio interface to the computer. I believe signal would be send back to AI and I can then connect audio signal from the AI back to the DP via Line Out/in and listen to everything on DP.

First, do you think this would work?
Second, piano uses USB MIDI whereas the audio interface has an old MIDI In/Out. What adapter would you recommend? Shall I connect both MIDI In/Out using the same USB cable?

Thanks.

Re: Pianoteq with Focusrite 24 DSP and OSX

Celdor wrote:

I am thinking of downloading a trial version and test Standard Pianoteq a little bit but I have a problem with connections.

Don't think about downloading it, just download it and see how it goes. If you run into problems then come back and let the forum know.

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:
Celdor wrote:

Don't think about downloading it, just download it and see how it goes. If you run into problems then come back and let the forum know.

There's a second part of this message, very important as I am not a technical person. I'd prefer to understand how to connect everything, at first. If I do, then I will definitely download it and test. Before downloading anything, I would like to have solid understanding regarding equipment configuration.

Last edited by Celdor (08-02-2016 00:19)

I suggest you start by connecting the DP via USB directly to your computer with the Saffire interface connected to the computer too. Later you might wish to connect the DP to your interface - USB to DIN MIDI connectors are not dear. However in my experience some of them don't play the game properly so I would suggest waiting until you have a little more familiarity with how things are working before making your setup more complex.

Thanks.

I don't understand why audio interfaces have old MIDI connectors and DPs use USB-B for that.

I can connect DP directly to computer and I know it's going to work. The problem is I will have to use headphones connected to the computer to listen to what I play. My piano has quite good speakers and I would prefer somehow to connect signal back to the DP and listen to everything on piano. My DP has input for external audio devices. Do you think I should connect back computer to DP using this input? Since I have the audio interface, wouldn't using audio interface be better and give me higher quality of sound?

I did try to connect DP to a computer via USB and simultaneously the audio interface via FireWire and I noticed quite distinctive noise which disappeared when I disconnect DP.

MIDI connectors are a safer connection than USB-B, which is very easy to unplug inadvertly, unless there's a mechanism to lock it in place (which is very rare on hardware devices).

Celdor wrote:

I did try to connect DP to a computer via USB and simultaneously the audio interface via FireWire and I noticed quite distinctive noise which disappeared when I disconnect DP.

Common USB issue - connector not grounded correctly.

Last edited by EvilDragon (08-02-2016 13:38)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

MIDI connectors are a safer connection than USB-B, which is very easy to unplug inadvertly, unless there's a mechanism to lock it in place (which is very rare on hardware devices).

Celdor wrote:

Was your MacBook on mains or battery at the time - some people over at sounds seem to have 'solved' the issue by either disconnecting or connecting the mains power.

EvilDragon wrote:
Celdor wrote:

+1

I had similar issues with flaky USB connections. It's especially bad with USB mikes. For me it's always been the cable, but it could also be the socket (solder joints) coming loose on the PCB. If you've tried several USB ports and the problem persists, then try a better cable. Use a single cable with no extension leads.

3/2 = 5

Everything is connected to power: DP, MacBook Pro and Focusrite.

I have tested another piano yesterday and it seems to be my old piano that has this issue that is Yamaha P-105 which has the problem. I did not try connecting/disconnecting from mains. Either MacBook can work on battery or in Focusrite the power may be supplied via FireWire. I'll test it later today. Some mentioned a ground loop isolator to get rid of the noise. So my next problem to solve is this.
Thanks.

I have also managed to get everything working. The reason why I struggled was I did not realised the audio interface, Focusrite, is simply an external sound card with MIDI from which I could simply supply an analog signal to any device/equipment such as headphones / speakers, or even DP via audio input. Once that was cleared in another forum I used everything's become simpler

Hello again,

I have manage to configure everything. I had to take analogue signal from headphone's output to the DP "Audio In" input. I found out there is a sort of buzz high frequency noise which changes whenever I operate the laptop (MacBook Pro). I tried to disconnect main power from the Interface and the laptop and the high frequency noise disappeared but it was replaced with low frequency hum noise   Now, I don't know which one is related to ground loop noise.

I am totally clueless

Could someone please advice on that?

The interface can work without powering as FireWire can supply power to the device. However, I would prefer the laptop to be connected to mains.

Thanks