Topic: Two Feature Requests

I believe these are both feature requests, but I could easily be overlooking something:

1) I would really love it if in the MIDI section under "options" there were a "default" option for the ranges. I've been using several expression pedals to adjust things like "strike point," where I type in the default strike point value for one end of the range, and then 1/2.0 or 1/64.0 for the other end of the range. This way I can use one pedal to go from an extreme strike point back to the default position. However, when I switch to a different instrument, the default strike point is different which means must again enter its specific strike point value into one of the MIDI ranges. It would be fantastic if you could simply type in 'D' for default and have it automatically set that specific end of the range to whatever is the default value for that particular instrument. Seems like that might be simple to program. Or maybe there is another solution?

2) When turning on the "pedal wah-wah" effect, the original sound of the instrument is altered and there is no point within the wah-wah's range where it returns to the original sound. I know this is by design, however I would love to be able to set the wah-wah effect to have the original sound at one extreme end of the pedal's MIDI range. That way you could turn on the wah-wah effect without altering your sound, but still control it with a pedal. I understand this would likely mean changing the concept of what a wah-wah pedal does, but it would be a very useful feature. As it is I haven't been able to find many effects or parameters which allow you to change the sound during sustain (after a note has been struck). The ones I have found tend to not be very dramatic. Perhaps I'm overlooking a better way to get a similar effect?

So you can get an idea of why I'm interested in these things:

I see a huge potential with Pianoteq in creating unreal instruments which unlike traditional synthesizers (and pipe organs for that matter) have a very dynamic response from ppp to fff. Where timbre, changes with intensity, in an organic way. So far Pianoteq is the only software I've come across that can do this in a satisfying way. Amazing program, and this is the reason I purchased it. Anyway, as a classical composer who has only written for acoustic instruments in the past, I've been experimenting with these synthetic instruments and just finished a collection of three pieces specifically for Pianoteq. Here's the latest if anyone's interested (based on the Bluthner):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WaPmjfvLjM

Re: Two Feature Requests

Hi Nathan,

Just some ideas that may be useful:

a) I believe your's Behringer FCB1010 is capable of sending user defined ranges of controller data and saving different presets for different situations.

b) Ableton Live is capable of mapping MIDI controllers and setting custom ranges for them.

c) This sure may be an overkill but just in case anyway. As a modern composer you may be interested in getting and learning some "visual programming" softwares such as Max/MSP or Reaktor. The idea is that you don't need to know a programming language to create your own specific VST Instrument or Plugin, you may do it inside such programs in a much user friendly way, though reasonable degree of knowledge is certainly required. The most widely used are Max/MSP and Reaktor. You may also want to check Plogue Bidule (which I'm not familiar with but pretty sure it is totally capable of doing things right). Max/MSP can act as a host for VST's (Pianoteq) so you can route your incoming MIDI and process it before it arrives to Pianoteq. Reaktor (which I'm very familiar with) can't host VST's but still can route and process MIDI to other VST's inside another host software or DAW such as Ableton, Cubase, Logic, etc. And please note that processing MIDI is a very small part of what this programs can do about audio. But even if you still want to use it just as a MIDI addition to Pianoteq the potential is just huge. It can not only process but actually generate, randomize, etc. MIDI and so on...

Last edited by AKM (05-02-2016 16:04)

Thanks for the suggestions Andrei,

a) Yes, I believe you are right about the FCB1010 (I'm still learning these things). And of course I know you can save different MIDI configurations in Pianoteq itself. However this would still requiring adjusting these things for every single instrument and every single parameter I'm interested in controlling this way. The beauty of having a "default" option would be you could have a single MIDI configuration which would act the same no matter what instrument (or instrument variation) you are using. Also, reassigning one of these expression pedals (or MIDI buttons for that matter) could be done very quickly, and again take effect across all instruments.

Also, this is not directly related, but it would also be nice if after messing with a slider, you could quickly reset a parameter (like soundboard impedance for example) back to its default with a double click. Lots of programs have similar functions. I realize you can undo changes, but this would be a nice way to reset something you changed much earlier, especially if you have forgotten its specific default value. However, for me personally this would not be nearly as useful as the "default" MIDI range option. Both features would be fantastic.

c) Yes, definitely overkill, for me at least! Actually I did research Reaktor before discovering Pianoteq. It seems that it likely would be capable of just about anything. However, the learning curve looks like it would take years of time out of my life. And even if I was able to more or less master it, there is certainly no guarantee I'd be able to come close to the musicality of Pianoteq (regarding not just Reaktor's MIDI capabilities, but instrument design/manipulation as well). This is one of the really remarkable things about Pianoteq, for a musician it's incredibly intuitive. I love how its parameters are instrument based -- overtones, string length, strike point, hammer hardness, direct/reverberant sound, etc. Most synth software seems stuck in the past, using the original terms for how sound was altered through electrical manipulation -- oscillators, patch cables, voltage, etc. That's not exactly a criticism of Reaktor, which is most definitely great for countless reasons, but I don't think it's a practical tool for most musicians.

Anyway I do appreciate the recommendations and will at least take a look at Max/MSP and Plogue Bidule too.

Last edited by NathanShirley (05-02-2016 20:54)

I like very much the idea of double clicking a slider to reset it to default saved preset position.

I don't change MIDI settings any way frequently so can't really comment on your "default" request. Maybe it could be future implemented it the same way as recent "freezing" the parameters, just by adding MIDI section to that settings page also?

Last edited by AKM (06-02-2016 02:08)

Pianoteq does resetting values via Alt+click.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Pianoteq does resetting values via Alt+click.

Ah, cool, thx!

Arrghh! I didn't know about Alt-Click either. Doh.  Mind you, every now and then I had tried double-clicking, to see whether that had been implemented yet......

Greg.

Not sure how I missed that, yes, thanks. Of course that isn't too handy on a tablet, but not a big deal.

AKM wrote:

Maybe it could be future implemented it the same way as recent "freezing" the parameters, just by adding MIDI section to that settings page also?

Well the 'current MIDI mapping' (or whatever your default MIDI settings are) are already universal, or 'frozen' across the various instruments. Which is how it should be (you can also choose to 'attach' a certain MIDI mapping to a specific instrument -- a really nice feature). That parameter freezing feature is great by the way.

So that doesn't exactly address my "default" parameter request, which would enable you to simply type in 'D' (or some other method) to set a midi range to the instrument's default value. This would actually cause (unseen) MIDI mapping CHANGES instrument to instrument. Since we now know that you can alt-click to reset a parameter to default, it seems like it would be especially easy to allow a default value in the MIDI mapping ranges. Of course I'm no programer!

Going back to my 'wah-wah' request, I have found that turning on the 'mallet bounce' effect enables you to change the timbral quality of a note after it's struck, for all parameters. Of course this works because each mallet bounce is actually a new note, so it's not really changing the sound being sustained like the wah-wah pedal does. It's also much more limiting sonically since it's an odd effect, so really not ideal for what I'm trying to do. Actually, if it were possible to alter the sustained sound with more parameters, this would also be great.

Last edited by NathanShirley (07-02-2016 01:48)