Topic: Suggestion: cords per note settings

Hi, you may want to check this video about a custom made acoustic piano and a Native Instruments sample library, Una Corda: https://youtu.be/gfHK7_lSY-0

So, it's just some minor idea that it could be nice to have a possibility to set the number of strings per note, say, 1 or 5 or more. Sure the bass notes are already a single string or a two strings, so there could be some conceptual difficulties in this regards.

Re: Suggestion: cords per note settings

I've checked out this instrument, and found it pretty easy to emulate in Pianoteq using mainly the una corda "Soft pedal" setting and permanently leaving the una corda pedal on (using the GUI). Either Std or Pro version will work for this.

I agree though that it would be nice to be able to explicitly select the number of strings per note (e.g., have three strings all the way down like e.g. on the V-Piano).

Last edited by SteveLy (29-01-2016 21:30)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

I've checked out this instrument, and found it pretty easy to emulate in Pianoteq using mainly the una corda "Soft pedal" setting and permanently leaving the una corda pedal on (using the GUI). Either Std or Pro version will work for this.

Not sure how you made it work, I just checked it, I set the unison width to the maximum and while the una corda pedal is on there is clearly unison detune audible absolutely the same way as if the una corda is off. So it makes the whole una corda pedal recent realization very questionable. Or am I missing something? Oh, wait, is that is why it's called just a soft pedal?

You're absolutely right. The unison width is still in effect when the soft pedal setting is at max. Even on lower notes with two strings per note.

The only reason I figured out that the "Soft pedal" controls una corda is because of the pop-up tooltip when you hover the mouse over it. (And there is no other soft pedal on grands; something I'm not that used to, having grown up mostly with uprights, where soft pedal is a bit of felt between hammers and strings.)

I guess for now the best you can do to emulate a single string per note is to set the unison width to 0 and adjust the soft / una corda pedal setting and/or tweak the hammer hardness.

If you muck around for long enough you can get a sound very similar to the Una Corda instrument (or at least the way it sounds in the demos I was going by). I spent longer on making it than it took me to get bored with the sound and want the proper piano sound back. But I encountered other useful/interesting virtual instruments along the way, like pizzicato strings-like sounds and plucked double bass.

Oddly enough there seems to be no note-by-note adjustment for the soft pedal setting in the Pro version.

Last edited by SteveLy (29-01-2016 22:28)
3/2 = 5

Regarding una corda regulation, please see the new thread starded by AKM: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...20#p941320.

I too would like to see the option to change the course # of each note.
A good first candidate to test this would be to recreate the Borgato L282,
since that piano is indistinguishable to the standard Steinway. Only difference;
it has 4 notes per unison in the middle and treble registers.

Or, why not trichords in the bass register? It has already been done with the C3/M3, (w/ bichords)
so why not test this on the D4/K2?