Topic: Need for a midi thru feature (PTQ or Linux)

I have a setup with PTQ on a Linux box (w Mint) using Focusrite scarlett 2i4 as midi in and as sound module), and need to chain it to an organ module. The organ module only has a midi in, no midi through, and I was wondering if it was possible to copy the midi in signal to the midi out on the Focusrite, preferably through PTQ. The alternative, to set up something on Linux would also require a setup that splits the midi in signal internally, as I expect that only one program can listen to the midi in signal at a time.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
VST host: Cantabile
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

Re: Need for a midi thru feature (PTQ or Linux)

MIDI can be used to send the same signals to more than one unit (ie two sound producing units responding to the one keyboard source (or even two units both responding to multiple inputs).
So far as your circumstances go - I would suggest a visit to the MIDISolutions website http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm they will have a comparitively cheap solution for you, alternatively try and find an MOTU MTP AV on eBay (8 MIDI ins 8 Out + USB to a computer) - should allow for any further expansion:-).
Good luck with it - as a side issue what organ module do you have?

Use Jack on Linux.  With QJackCTL which is installed automatically if you install Rosegarden, or you download it by itself.  In Audio Setup in PianoTeq choose Jack instead of Pulseaudio. When using, you must start the Jack audio program before you launch PianoTeq if you want to set Jack to autoconnect next time you use it.  Click on the Connect button on the Jack window and you can route your MIDI incoming and outgoing connections any which-a-way you want them to go. Pianoteq will listen to whichever input you choose and all the other MIDI connections just work in Jack in the background and you don't have to do anything further. Hope this helps. There are plenty of resources online about Jack, Linux and MIDI. Rosegarden is a great program as well.  You can do sheet music and edit your MIDI files and its output can be sent to Pianteq, giving you a huge array of ways to view, edit and tweak your recordings and MIDI files.

Last edited by edhastie (03-01-2016 05:51)

Ah, sorry, I tried to simplify things a bit - actually my problem is a keyboard that only has USB out, not midi out, and therefore I wanted PTQ or Linux to help on that transformation. I am aware of Midi Solutions (already have the Event Processor Plus and the Midi Merge), so JACK seems like the right approach. I had considered it, and tried to read all I could find about it, but could not determine if it had any chances to accomplish what I wanted - now with the input from edhastie I think that it will be worthwhile to install Linux on and old spare PC and start experimenting. The Linux box I use for the piano sounds is a FIT PC (very small and easily carried around to gigs) with a 7" touch screen attached, but definitely too small for any serious work.

Regarding organ module, I have the Viscound DB3, review here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov02/a...ntdb3.asp, I have the module, not the keyboard. I run it through a Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere, and then I am all set regarding Leslie. However, the vibrato/chorus still is a drag, and therefore I am strongly considering the KeyB Expander module (http://www.keyborgan.com/products/expander/), which I hope will provide me with more flexibility in terms of two sets of drawbars plus less to carry around and setup when gigging.

Thank you very much for the help and suggestions, I will look into JACK and QJackCTL. Then I might also be able to add a synth to the setup :-).

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

Here is an intro to Jack: http://libremusicproduction.com/article...arted-jack which is definitely what you want to use on linux since it allows interconnecting audio and midi signals and control over audio latency.   One confusing thing is that there are 2 flavors of midi: Jack midi (the Midi tab of QJackCtl), and Alsa Midi (Alsa tab of QJackCtl).   A USB audio device such as a Focusrite scarlett 2i4 will work with Alsa midi.   Pianoteq works with both Jack and Alsa midi.

Thanks, varpa. I am right now installing Linux on the spare PC, while it installs and upgrade I will read the intro.

Another vote for JACK and QJackCtl. Use as edhastie described.

3/2 = 5

I managed to get Linux Mint up and running, and installed Jack and started QJackCtl, and so far everything went smooth. And then I had to go to work :-(. I will keep you posted, but I am quite certain that this is a good solution - so far my only concern is the capabilities of the CPU, i.e. if the Jack server will put too much strain on the CPU and then affect PTQ.

Some tips.

You need to make sure that your normal user account is in the audio group (the default in Mint 17.2 is that it is not) for JACK's realtime scheduling to work. To check, run the command groups in a terminal window. If you don't see the word audio in the output then you'll need to add yourself to the audio group with the command:

sudo usermod -a -G audio <your_username>

where <your_username> is your login name (also the output of the command whoami). You may need to log out and log back in for the changes to take effect. (Run groups again from a new terminal, and see if audio now appears in the output. If not, then logout/login or reboot.)

When using Jack, Pianoteq no longer controls the latency or the output sample rate. You have to set these up using QjackCtl (before starting JACK). Click on the Setup button. Make sure Realtime is checked. Choose your Sample Rate (I use 48kHz, but up to you), and then "Frames/Period" and "Periods/Buffer" (128 and 2 respectively works well on my Mint 17.2 laptop). The resulting minimum latency will be displayed in the bottom right corner of the Setup window.

3/2 = 5

Thanks, SteveLy.

I found this intro: http://lievenmoors.github.io/jack.html, which is a nice supplement to http://libremusicproduction.com/article...arted-jack suggested by varpa.

There are minor discrepancies, e.g. whether or not to set the nice value, and which user group to use for the realtime scheduling, I will try a few combinations and see what works.

And it required quite a bit of patience and fiddling to find out how to use the mapping and connection features, but when I finally decided that the best option was to believe in it being very simple, then I managed :-). Works like a charm, thank you all for input and help on this.