Topic: Pianoteq makes me spend money

I think this is true of fine acoustic instruments as well, in principle , but since I installed Pianoteq a couple of months ago, I find I keep spending money. The software is great, but the set up I was trying to use it with, it became gradually apparent, was just not really good enough. First I bought a much better controller, then some somewhat better powered speakers, then a slightly better audio interface, then new cables because there was always this hum. And now I've sprung for better quality speakers, a better audio interface, and xlr cables. I didn't really believe there would be that much difference, but there is. So anyone thinking about upgrading their set up to use with pianoteq, take my advice. Don't skimp. Spend the money to get a good controller (I bought a Kawai VPC1), and get at least decent quality components across the board. The sound produced by the software is very good, but if you use cheap equipment, the results will not match the software in quality.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

Re: Pianoteq makes me spend money

Well said and true

Welcome to the world of electronic music! <g>

There's always _something_ that can be upgraded . . .

.          Charles   (PX-350 / Pianoteq / EV ZXA1 speaker)

"A Man's Got to Know his Limitations."
Clint Eastwood

Its getting to the stage where my midi controller needs replacing.

Put your credit card in a glass of water.  Put it in the freezer.

Unthawing before you can order introduces a handy 4 hour delay to stop the buying impulses.

Mossy wrote:

Unthawing before you can order introduces a handy 4 hour delay to stop the buying impulses.

What to do or not to do when you got PayPal?

SveinPetter wrote:
Mossy wrote:

What to do or not to do when you got PayPal?

Freeze your mouse and keyboard and smartphone.

Mossy wrote:

Haw haw. I shouldn't admit this in public, but this subterfuge would not work for me. I buy most stuff online, and even though I'm old as hell (almost 63; and please no, that's not old; it's not VERY old, but it's beyond the tail end of middle age).... I readily memorize a credit card number just by using it a few times, including the CCV on the back. So freezing the damn thing wouldn't help.

Now if I could only learn how to memorize MUSIC the same way. For some reason my brain just doesn't work that way. I put a tabletop music desk on top of my VPC-1 to enhance the somewhat skimpy music stand that comes with it, and I'm good to go. I admire people who can improvise or just play from memory, but I'm not one of them.

Any case, I believe I've actually finally arrived at a pretty good set-up, so I think I can settle in and stop changing it every week. I have a few pieces of useless junk as a result of the process, but that's pretty much par for the course.

Last edited by oldionus (07-01-2016 17:06)
Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards