Topic: Volume too low in Pianoteq

I have an issue with Pianoteq that I hope you guys can help me resolve. I am currently using Pianoteq Stage on my Windows 10 PC with a Casio Privia PX-850 as a controller. I am using the computer's on-board sound card with the ASIO4ALL driver. The problem I have is with the volume in Pianoteq: it is quite low and unplayable, even when I set my computer to maximum volume. I can listen to other sources (Spotify, iTunes, etc.) with sufficient volume on this computer. It is only with Pianoteq that I can't get enough volume. As a test, I tried Pianoteq with the exact same settings on my 2015 Macbook Pro, and the volume is more than sufficient. I am guessing that the problem is due to the ASIO4ALL driver, because:

1) I can get sufficient volume through my Windows PC using other sources (iTunes, Spotify, etc.)
2) I can get sufficient volume using my Macbook Pro with the exact same settings in Pianoteq

Anyone else run into this problem? I am thinking that I may need an external sound card that has a native ASIO driver. Before I spend money on a new sound card, are there any recommendations on things I can try? What can I do to fix this volume issue on my Windows 10 PC?

Thanks!

Last edited by winterwind_23 (17-12-2015 06:48)

Re: Volume too low in Pianoteq

I am using a Windows 10 desktop as is thru a Casio PX-780 and have no problems with volume.  In fact I have to turn the volume down from the setting I would use for the PX- 780 internal sound.

Bill

1. What are you running the Pianoteq VST under? Whatever it is, it will have its own output (and perhaps input) gain levels. Perhaps these are set too low.

2. What midi levels are you getting in Pianoteq? You can view these note for note on the equalization graph as you play. If you can achieve high levels (100+), then look to gain issues.

3. Pianoteq itself has a volume/gain adjustment. Where is it set?

Last edited by NormB (17-12-2015 18:33)

NormB wrote:

1. What are you running the Pianoteq VST under? Whatever it is, it will have its own output (and perhaps input) gain levels. Perhaps these are set too low.

2. What midi levels are you getting in Pianoteq? You can view these note for note on the equalization graph as you play. If you can achieve high levels (100+), then look to gain issues.

3. Pianoteq itself has a volume/gain adjustment. Where is it set?

1. I am running Pianoteq under the standalone player. The volume setting is at 0 dB. (The volume setting is also at 0 dB on my Macbook Pro, though, where I get sufficient volume.)

2. I don't believe the midi levels are the problem. The equalization graph becomes red when I play loudly, and I even have to turn the limiter on to avoid distortion.

3. I think you are referring to the Volume slider? It is set at 0 dB.

Also, the problem is with both using headphones and external speakers. Thanks.

I would think that the next thing to do is to call up the ASIO4All control panel, first with a source that does play loudly, and then with Piantoteq. In each case have the control panel in the advanced mode and see where the output from ASIO4All is going. It should be the same in each case (for your setup). If not, change the output under Pianoteq to match that of the other, 'loud' input.

NormB wrote:

I would think that the next thing to do is to call up the ASIO4All control panel, first with a source that does play loudly, and then with Piantoteq. In each case have the control panel in the advanced mode and see where the output from ASIO4All is going. It should be the same in each case (for your setup). If not, change the output under Pianoteq to match that of the other, 'loud' input.

How do I call up the ASIO4ALL control panel? I checked in the Windows Control Panel but can't find anything. Can you give me step-by-step instructions on how to access the ASIO4ALL control panel? Once I get to the ASIO4ALL control panel, what do I need to do?

Thanks.

Last edited by winterwind_23 (17-12-2015 21:44)

billd wrote:

I am using a Windows 10 desktop as is thru a Casio PX-780 and have no problems with volume.  In fact I have to turn the volume down from the setting I would use for the PX- 780 internal sound.

Bill

I have another Windows 10 PC that I will test. Hopefully it works better on this PC.

Last edited by winterwind_23 (17-12-2015 21:46)

winterwind_23 wrote:
NormB wrote:

How do I call up the ASIO4ALL control panel? I checked in the Windows Control Panel but can't find anything. Can you give me step-by-step instructions on how to access the ASIO4ALL control panel? Once I get to the ASIO4ALL control panel, what do I need to do?

Thanks.

This is easy in Windows 7. I suspect it isn't different in Win 10.

The control panel only makes itself visible when ASIO4All is running.

1. Open Piantoteq in its standalone mode, if that is what you are doing. A small green square with a right-facing triangle will appear either in the lower right of your windows taskbar or in the "show hidden icons" sub-menu on the taskbar.

2. Hit on that green square and the control panel will open.

3. There is a little symbol on the lower right of the control panel that looks like a little two sided open end wrench. If you click on it you will find the view changes from simple to complex or the other way around. Select the complex mode.  You will now see what ASIO4All is hooked up to. Also interesting info re: sample rates and such.

Last edited by NormB (17-12-2015 22:21)

Winterwind
I'm using Windows 7 which has a Volume Mixer. This allows you to assign the volume for each device using sound individually. I don't know if Windows 10 retained this feature. However, maybe you'd want to check that Pianoteq isn't set at a lower volume.

On my PC I could access this by 'Right-Clicking' the Speaker Icon in the tray on the taskbar.