Topic: Smallest computer device for gigging with PianoTeq?

I have a Casio PX-360 for solo cocktail piano gigs and am considering using PianoTeq on these gigs.
What is the smallest lightest, most portable, easiest computer device for using PianoTec on live gigs?
The mini-laptops are the current solution? A USB memory stick would be ideal, but I think that's impossible.

Last edited by Jazz+ (07-12-2015 19:15)

Re: Smallest computer device for gigging with PianoTeq?

Intel NUC.

Hard work and guts!

NUC, yes, but + keyboard + screen... = laptop ! ;-)

If you just temporarily plug a keyboard, mouse and monitor at home just to install Pianoteq and do your live setup, you won't need them on stage at all. Just gotta program MIDI program changes for patches and stuff like that... So then all you need is NUC, power cord and audio cables to connect it to a mixer.

Hard work and guts!

This is a strictly personal opinion but I will never trust a computer. Never. Not being able to see what happens within a NUC and no screen nor a keyboard to react in case of failure, would stress me much too much, certainly before a gig !!! Don't forget Murphy's law ! ;-)

Then I suggest you shouldn't drive your car, either

Hard work and guts!

Personally, in your situation I'd go with a NUC.

I'd use a Linux not Windows since there's a lot less stuff to get in the way. Plus I'd only make changes when I absolutely have to and carefully re-test whenever I do make changes.

I've got a NUC (DC3217BY) running Ubuntu Studio and set up to automatically start Pianoteq when I press the power key. Unless I upgrade or change something it's 100% reliable.

If I wanted to be paranoid I would set up a USB stick to boot Linux and run Pianoteq, and use that as a backup in case the disk in the NUC failed or some other calamity. That would take longer to boot but since Pianoteq runs in memory would be fine once it's up and running.

I'd use a small Windows laptop.

To Evildragon: I'm not planning to let me drive by a Google car either ! :-) I want to be able to (re-)act by myself ! Yeah, I'm probably old school...
Linux on a NUC however looks to me as a more viable option, even if I don't use it "for real".

@skip
Why would you use a windows laptop? And which one would you use?

@Evil Dragon

Why a NUC? Does it have other pros except it's small size?

MichaelQK wrote:

@skip
Why would you use a windows laptop? And which one would you use?

Damn - I was hoping to get away without having to justify this.

The reason I would use a laptop is for the same reason someone else mentioned - just in case I wanted to do any changes.  If I was absolutely sure I wouldn't, I suppose I'd be willing to use that NUC or similar, yes.

The reason I'd choose Windows is due to familiarity. Nothing more.

EDIT: I don't know which one - sorry.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (10-12-2015 01:22)

MichaelQK wrote:

@Evil Dragon

Why a NUC? Does it have other pros except it's small size?

Yep, small size does it. With some DIY skills you could even have it built into your MIDI controller, almost.

Hard work and guts!

@spfenwick

Was it hard to run pianoteq with linux?

MichaelQK wrote:

@spfenwick

Was it hard to run pianoteq with linux?

If you're completely new to Linux, then maybe. Otherwise no. You just download a 7-zip file, unpack it, find the appropriate Pianoteq executable for your system and run it.

3/2 = 5

@SteveLy

Where would  I find the zip file?

MichaelQK wrote:

Where would  I find the zip file?

That's what you download from Pianoteq's site.
You unzip this file and there you will find the "Pianoteq 5" application to run Pianoteq.

BTW, if you plan to use a Linux system for audio, I suggest you to try a ready to use distribution, for example, Ubuntu Studio or KX Studio.
The Linux way asks some learning but it is worth to try because these audio prepared distributions are very stable and strong.

I am wondering if I can use a Lumia 950 XL with Windows 10 to run Pianoteq on it; I don't see anything that would prevent this.

That's an interesting idea. But I'm not sure - if it uses an ARM processor, that might not quite work.

But hey, try it and let us know

Hard work and guts!

Meantime I learnt that Lumia's Windoz 10 is not like THE Windows 10 as Microsoft have claimed so intensely in the last months. A developer should pass their application through a special SDK before it can run on Lumia's Windoz. So is not that simple from my side, maybe would be if PTQ guys will use that SDK an build a specific release for this purpose.

Well, the Windows 10 KERNEL is the same across all the devices. But apps must be compiled towards CPU type: it's not the same if it uses an x86 CPU or an ARM CPU. Microsoft did outline that all, and they did say that to make use of all the new W10 features, applications need to be developed as Universal Apps - then the same app can be ran on any W10 device, and it would automatically change its UI to fit that particular device.

Pianoteq isn't a W10 Universal App as of yet.

Hard work and guts!

This is my new computer:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Small-Co...24344.html

Small, fanless.  I got the i5-4220Y version w/ 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD for $185 USD (my price in China).

A laptop makes more senses in being able to control it but a i5 laptop will start at $600.  So if you want to go the cheaper headless route, you can setup Linux/Windows to auto-login, auto-launch Pianoteq, auto-launch VNC/remote desktop for control via your tablet/smartphone.

Hi Mossy,

Can you share with us at which buffer value and polyphony do you play with you pc, and which distribution?

Thanks,

SK

You could read through his thread here: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4149

Hard work and guts!

I use a Fit-PC 2 with Linux Mint, very small and easy to bring around. I always bring a touch screen (a 7" Lilliput), as I always have to tell the system that I want to use the same soundcard as last time, plus there might be other issues.

The CPU is not optimal for PianoTeq, so I would also go with the NUC if I was to choose today, I just happened to have a spare Fit-PC.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
VST host: Cantabile
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

May I again suggest the Muse Receptor.
This is a 2U rack mount plugin host.
I'm lucky to have loads of fantastic keyboards
(Hammond, Wurlitzer, Bechstein grand, Oberheim, Moog, Solaris, Virus, Kurzweil, Hohner D6 etc)
But the Receptor runs emulations of all these with super low latency and great roadworthyness for touring.

I'm lucky enough to be playing stadiums and these Receptors are superb.
You can control them via wifi using a iOS device etc cannot speak highly enough.
Strangely they're not very popular here in Europe but in the USA all the pros seem to use them.

PS I don't work for Muse - but I do endorse them 'cos they're wunderbar!
:-)

Are those ones good for Pianoteq 5.5 ?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SCBWF52?psc=1

http://www.amazon.it/MSI-CUBI-008EU-B32...-008BEU+PC

http://www.amazon.it/BOXNUC5PPYH-Celero...=Intel+NUC

... or maybe this ones:

http://www.intel.it/content/www/it/it/n...1433494936

http://ark.intel.com/products/91980/Int...TK2m3W64CC

Last edited by SteveKK (27-02-2016 12:08)

Neil wrote:

May I again suggest the Muse Receptor.
This is a 2U rack mount plugin host.
I'm lucky to have loads of fantastic keyboards
(Hammond, Wurlitzer, Bechstein grand, Oberheim, Moog, Solaris, Virus, Kurzweil, Hohner D6 etc)
But the Receptor runs emulations of all these with super low latency and great roadworthyness for touring.

I'm lucky enough to be playing stadiums and these Receptors are superb.
You can control them via wifi using a iOS device etc cannot speak highly enough.
Strangely they're not very popular here in Europe but in the USA all the pros seem to use them.

PS I don't work for Muse - but I do endorse them 'cos they're wunderbar!
:-)

I did check the Muse Receptor and it seems a nice device for this purpose, though too expensive compared with a mid-range NUC. I guess they both would run PTQ similarly.

I'm also interested in what NUC do the folks here suggest as the less expensive one for running PTQ seamlesly.

Last edited by davidizquierdo82 (08-03-2016 15:47)
P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

davidizquierdo82 wrote:

I did check the Muse Receptor and it seems a nice device for this purpose, though too expensive compared with a mid-range NUC. I guess they both would run PTQ similarly.

I'm also interested in what NUC do the folks here suggest as the less expensive one for running PTQ seamlesly.

You've answered it here, Receptor would probably be better if you want to run other prog's like Kontact etc at the same time. for pianoteq alone I would say stick with a mid-range NUC (and as others have recommended a purpose built Linux version with it).

Intel Compute Stick is the size of a large pendrive, but it's a fully self contained machine that runs Windows 10 and hardware goes up to 1.1GHz base frequency, but with 2.6GHz Turbo Mode and 4GB of RAM, so I imagine it should run Pianoteq fine.

Screw Receptor.

Check out Seelake Audiostation. No need for special "receptotized" versions of plugins, it runs your regular VSTs just like an ordinary desktop would.

Hard work and guts!

If we could persuade Pianoteq crew to compile a version for ARMv7, I could provide you with solutions to run it on, with the size of a matchbox. It will simply stick in USB port of the keyboard with audio line out on the other side.
Unless they had written their math in pure assempler, it shouldn't be too hard. The computation power of modern ARM sticks should be enough. I've already run it with Yoshime synthesier and portable 25 key keyboard. That is my electronic melodica! I can configure it from the phone.