Topic: New option for live performance with PT

I would like to share an option I recently discovered for playing Pianoteq and other spatially rich music in small to medium-sized venues, or at home. I got a Center Point Stereo (CPS) SpaceStation v.3 (www.centerpointstereo.com). It is a small tri-amped unit that takes stereo signal, reprocesses it into M-S spatial separation and sends it into the room with a center speaker array (M) for L+R info and a side-facing speaker for L-R (S) info.  You can control how the M and S sound is mixed. The result is even spatial sound throughout the room, even at the performer's location.  It sounds crazy, but it works by recombining the M and S sounds throughout the room, including natural reflections. It solves the problem that even very high quality stereo speaker pairs have of creating only a narrow listener "sweet spot" with correct L and R spatial image. I was skeptical, too, but it creates a 3-D sound image that makes it more like the way a real piano source fills a room or hall. If you are performing with a group, the other players on stage can hear you clearly, too, without additional monitors.

There is a long thread (~150 pages) about this on the Keyboard Corner forum, with contributions by many professional musicians, including some using Pianoteq (http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread...ost2602284). Some people are using it as a single PA source for their entire band, including vocals. You may need to tweak your Pianoteq EQ to achieve sound that satisfies you, but it is reasonably high fidelity, and much cheaper and more portable than pairs of high quality powered monitors or PA amps plus speakers.

I am not affiliated with the company...I just wanted to share that this works really well for me.
Tim

Re: New option for live performance with PT

Bump.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I've been considering trying it out as it really sounds too good to be true, but all the reviews seem to back it up.

The only criticism I could find about the Spacestation V.3 is:

1) As Tim alluded to, the frequency response supposedly isn't completely flat. Some EQ in Pianoteq may or may not fix that. This would be the most important issue in my opinion as fidelity is crucial.

2) The low end rolls off at about 100 Hz, possibly requiring a sub to be added for deeper bass or for power at higher volumes. Likely not a very big deal.

3) The stereo it creates apparently doesn't sound like true stereo with clear left/right distinction, but rather a very full/balanced, yet indefinite stereo spread. I don't think this would actually be much of a negative for me personally.

I assume its self-noise isn't noticeable?

From my experience, the CPS SSv3 is silent, no hum. Also, it's important to pay attention to reverb or other effects you add through your presets. As has been discussed in other threads, many of the PTQ room reverb and microphone-placement effects are counter-productive in a live performance situation through speakers. It can blur your projected sound. Best to choose a dry "player" preset and to let the performance space create real reverberation.

About the flatness of frequency response, the amp itself seems pretty flat, just based on playing CDs or other recorded music through it.  However, performance in varied environments (live or dead rooms, etc.) will almost always require some adjustment, as is true for any sound system. It will also depend on how loud you are playing, because the speakers themselves seem to project differently, depending on whether you have signal at very low volume, normal acoustic piano volume, or very loud to blend a loud band.

About the spatial image, it's difficult to describe...in my opinion it is more realistic than a left-right stereo separation. If your reference sound is L-R separation in headphones, be prepared to hear things differently.

I don't think a sub-woofer is required for acoustic and EP sounds. Most of the guys who have added those are using the SSv3 for Hammond organ sounds with LH bass.

Thanks Tim, I just might have to try one of these out.

Airsound/Orbitsound gear works the same way. It's an old idea (1930s, acc. to Airsound chief engineer Ted Fletcher).

The CPS side speaker is asymmetrical; i.e., there is only one speaker in an open baffle, so the back of the speaker radiates one way the front the other way. Not ideal. Orbitsound gear uses two speakers 180 deg out of phase, which is how to do it properly. The way these work with channels left (L) and right (R) is:
L+R mix is sent forward,
L-R mix to the left,
R-L mix to the right.

Then ideally your left ear would get (L+R) + (L-R) ~ L, and the right ear (L+R) + (R-L) ~ R.

One disadvantage I see with these systems is that the stereo sound can only be preserved in the mid-range. High frequencies are inherently directional, so directing them sideways is no good: they won't reach the listener. That's why the tweeters on these kinds of speakers are always on the front (and only carry the mono L+R signal).

Last edited by SteveLy (04-01-2016 11:16)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

One disadvantage I see with these systems is that the stereo sound can only be preserved in the mid-range. High frequencies are inherently directional, so directing them sideways is no good: they won't reach the listener. That's why the tweeters on these kinds of speakers are always on the front (and only carry the mono L+R signal).

Good point, which is likely at least part of the reason for the indefinite stereo sound I read about. Though that might not be a crucial issue for my needs, personally.

This seems to be the Orbitsound product you're refering to: https://shop.orbitsound.com/en/soundbas...undtm-base

I wonder how the fidelity of this is. Since it's designed to be a soundbar for a TV, I would assume it wouldn't be up to the task of working in a live performance situation. I'm looking for a system that would best replicate the full sonic characteristics of a concert grand (ideally with even a little bit more power) -- in terms of fidelity and dynamic range, but also something that could at least come close to radiating sound in a semi-omnidirectional way that a real instrument does.

A good pair of PA speakers might ultimately be the most practical solution, or perhaps even some higher output studio monitors. Then the question would be stereo vs. mono (or even some sort of array).

An instrument like the Avant-Grand takes an interesting approach using an actual soundboard... but this wouldn't be at all practical to move around, plus I question its power compared to a Steinway D... and then there is the problem of it likely not playing well with non-piano sounds.

Yeah, the Orbitsound gear is no good for gigging; I was just making the point that it uses the airSound system: same "original" invention as CPS. The CPS guy's videos are total bollocks smoke and mirrors stuff, i.e., his explanations of how it works. Maybe he does not understand it himself but means well. The airSound engineer Ted Fletcher has much better explanations of the concept and also admits that the basic idea was invented and patented in the 1930s.

But in the end proof is in the pudding. You've got to listen to it to see if it'll do what you want. It may well be that the CPS cabinet is a good compromise between mono keyboard amp and a stereo PA setup. That single sideways driver does not instil a lot of confidence though. The back of a driver was not designed to be used as a sound source. With the CPS setup there will be significant mismatch in frequency response between the left and right channel signals reaching the listener.

3/2 = 5

Agree completely that the real test is how it sounds in a performance environment.

When this version 3 of the CPS amp was announced last year, the Keyboard Corner Forum started a discussion thread. The first several pages were skeptical and dismissive posts, from folks who had not tested it, some citing technical reasons it could not work as claimed. That forum is full of performing musicians. Since the CPS amps began to be tested by musicians at gigs, there have been nearly 150 pages of posts, sharing practical experience. Many of these describe it as an improvement, not a compromise, compared to stereo PA, for live performance spaces. If you're at home or in a studio, and can sit in the sweet spot for stereo monitors, that certainly can be better. For transporting to and playing in varied performance spaces, with varied acoustical properties and sizes, the CPS really works well.

About this being a concept originating in the 1930's, isn't M-S recording technology the precedent, or was there a M-S sound reproduction system also patented then?

I too was not impressed with those homemade looking videos CPS has. However after reading a huge number of detailed reviews, the only potential negatives I could find were the three I mentioned in my first post (and I was really scouring the Internet for anything negative about the speaker).

So I put in an order for one. If anyone is interested I'll report back with my opinion of it. I'm not expecting perfect fidelity from it, but as long as it gives me very good fidelity, and does a decent job of delivering on the other claims, I'll be happy.

Bose L1 or L1 Compact.

SteveLy wrote:

Airsound/Orbitsound gear works the same way. It's an old idea (1930s, acc. to Airsound chief engineer Ted Fletcher).

The CPS side speaker is asymmetrical; i.e., there is only one speaker in an open baffle, so the back of the speaker radiates one way the front the other way. Not ideal. Orbitsound gear uses two speakers 180 deg out of phase, which is how to do it properly. The way these work with channels left (L) and right (R) is:
L+R mix is sent forward,
L-R mix to the left,
R-L mix to the right.

Then ideally your left ear would get (L+R) + (L-R) ~ L, and the right ear (L+R) + (R-L) ~ R.

\\

This is enlightening. Personally, although many monitors cost just as much or more, the cost of this speaker is a disincentive as well. I try to remember that other people sometimes hear what I play, so I need to take their experience into account. As it happens, I have single side deafness, so stereo imaging means almost nothing to me. Added all together, these various factors convince me to stick with my KRK Rokit monitors, which are acceptable. But I can see how the advantages of a speaker like this would be attractive to some people.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

Lylo wrote:

Bose L1 or L1 Compact.

I've heard good things about the L1 model 2, despite being Bose. The only negatives seem to be possibly not quite enough power to fully replicate a concert grand at full force, and also that the high end has a bit of a "brittle" quality. Considering the price, these slight issues might not be worth the expense.

Now this would likely be ideal: http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/profession...scm150asl/

But it it's a bit more than the Bose.

The Bose L1 units are mono. For performances, an advantage of the CPS unit is that you don't need to cart around two heavy/expensive speaker units to create a stereo-like spatial sound.

So I got an SS3 (Spacestation) and I'm glad I did. For the price it's really an impressive amp, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best in its class. However it's definitely not perfect.

The self noise isn't excessive, but it is certainly not silent. It uses class D amplifiers so no surprise. This wouldn't be an issue in many performance settings, but for classical performances in very quite rooms, it could be noticeable (not what most keyboardists would be using it for).

Its audio fidelity is quite good for a little amp, or even for a PA system about twice the price. But it's not going to compete with some good studio monitors. Of course it would be crazy to expect that. Its power and throw far exceed what studio monitors can do -- two separate animals.

On its own it does amazingly well, but a sub really helps. The SS3 doesn't have a smooth roll-off at 100Hz. Instead it just drops off the map. A good sub goes a long way in enhancing and tightening up the bottom two octaves of the piano.

The stereo effect is very interesting. For piano and other keyboard sounds I've found it perfect for my needs. But like I had assumed, it doesn't produce much of a left/right image. If you pan hard right or left, the sound changes, but to my ears has more of a near/far effect rather than left/right. Still, not an issue for my purposes.

So anyone looking for a home/studio sound solution for Pianoteq should obviously steer clear of the SS3, or any other keyboard amp. But for anyone doing live performance, it is definitely worth checking out. Overall I'm very happy with it. It worked very nicely in an unusual performance setting where  I was in a very large/wide room, up against a wall, with about 300 people seated 180 degrees around me. It produced nice even sound pretty much everywhere. Try that with a two speaker PA. Also, just guessing here based on what I've read, but I don't think the Bose units would have been able to put out quite enough power.

Last edited by NathanShirley (04-02-2016 04:36)

This is a personal update on using Pianoteq with the SSv3 (Spacestation) amp for live performances. There are now quite a few performers using this small amp/speaker system as a compact single box for keyboard sounds in a live band or even solo/duo setting. While there is almost uniform praise for its use with electric piano and organ sounds, many are still seeking to optimize its projection of acoustic piano sounds, which we all judge so critically. After almost a year, I am still very happy with this little SSv3, and its ability to project a 3-D instrument presence in rooms of different sizes. I've found several things that improved my performance sound and experience:

1. Within Pianoteq, optimize keyboard velocity mapping and Dynamics settings when playing at normal performance volume. This really improved both the sound and the psychoacoustic feedback for me as player.

2. Turn off Delay and Reverb effects inside Pianoteq. Let the room add its own reverb.

3. Evaluate the SSv3 output at a reasonable distance, perhaps with a recording or with someone else playing.  This is different from evaluating through headphones or from near-field monitors. If you are too close, it can sound boxy, even when it sounds great to the audience.

4. In a quiet venue, do not turn the volume too low on the SSv3. Instead, lower the signal to the amp so you can dial up the SSv3 gain. Although this is contrary to how one would normally set the gain structure in an instrument-to-speaker device chain, I've found the SSv3 can sound tonally "off" if it is adjusted too low.

5. The SSv3 is usually a good monitor for me, if it can be positioned near a back wall or corner to reflect. If I can't hear well, it's distracting and affects my playing. As long as I know the audience sound is good, I just use in-ear monitors (IEMs) from the headphone output of the audio interface that is also sending Pianoteq to the SSv3 amp, similar to getting a "monitor" feed from a house PA system. Then I can have the psychoacoustic feedback of great piano sound while I play.

These observations and tips are based on my own experiences.  I'd be interested to hear those of other Pianoteq users of the SSv3.
Tim