Topic: Choice of powered speaker for use with PTQ

I realize this topic as come up before, but product lines are always changing. Right now, I just shelled out what is for me a small fortuner for a VPC1 and PTQ with the Bluthner and both historical instrument sets, so I have to live with my long in the tooth keyboard amp for a while. But, Looking in down the road, I am thinking I will eventually buy one or two powered studio monitor type speakers, preferably with a 10" or above main speaker and a horn tweeter of some kind. Two questions for the savvy on this subject:

1.  Is there really any reason to have 2 speakers for solo practice and playback? Couldn't I just run PTQ on monophonic and use one speaker? This is a general question, but as a point of information I also happen to have single-side deafness, so the whole world is monophonic to me anyway. But if it really matters, I should take other peoples' experience into account as well.

2.  In the less than $300 (street price) for one speaker range (and if I have to buy two, I can't go too far above that for both), can anyone recommend a good, clean powered speaker with good low freq. response and clean highs as well?

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

Re: Choice of powered speaker for use with PTQ

You shouldn't skimp and have just one speaker. Having at least two helps with Pianoteq sounding more spacious. Hell, it supports up to 5 microphones, and you can send them to separate audio outputs, giving you 5.0 surround if you want!

Hard work and guts!

If you can only hear out of one ear, there is little point getting two speakers for yourself. But if you still have some hearing left in your bad ear then you should seriously consider getting two speakers. Just try it and see what difference it makes (even just with a cheap pair you'll get a fair indication). Also if you perform for or play with other people, they will appreciate stereo piano sound.

3/2 = 5

Single side deafness is usually congenital and total. But I do care about what other people hear. Thanks for your perspectives.

Last edited by oldionus (26-11-2015 00:35)
Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

FWIW --

I run Pianoteq through a single ElectroVoice ZXA1 powered speaker.  It sounds fine -- 8" woofer, horn-loaded tweeter, and many, many watts.

I bought it according to an old rule-of-thumb:

. . . One good loudspeaker is better than two not-so-good loudspeakers.

.         Charles

I have been impressed with digital pianos run through the Roland CM-220, which is a 2.1-channel system. I think it is discontinued now, but they may be still in stock at various music stores.
The beauty of this model was that the 2 satellite speakers could be placed on height adjustable stands, allowing them to be placed at ear level for the mid & treble frequencies. Plenty of clean volume too.
Most "cabinet style on castors" keyboard amps (mono or stereo) which sit on the floor don't do digital piano sounds justice in my opinion, either for solo practice or performance.
BTW, before anyone jumps on my post - no, I don't work for Roland, or receive any benefit in recommending that model.

The Behringer keyboard amp I have is indeed totally unsatisfactory; the sound just isn't accurate. I am going to use a pair of decent 8" powered studio monitors, which I've managed to locate for a modest price. My current set up has threshold-perceptible latency, but I can live with it. Apparently toleration for latency is a variable thing from person to person. It just doesn't bother me at this level.

Thanks to everyone who offered insight.

oldionus wrote:

The Behringer keyboard amp I have is indeed totally unsatisfactory; the sound just isn't accurate. I am going to use a pair of decent 8" powered studio monitors, which I've managed to locate for a modest price. My current set up has threshold-perceptible latency, but I can live with it. Apparently toleration for latency is a variable thing from person to person. It just doesn't bother me at this level.

It's worth keeping in mind that acoustic instruments have inherent latency that is limited by the speed of sound in air, which is roughly 1 foot per 1 ms. If you played pipe organ in a church you'd know. Realistic ballpark latency in ms for a piano is the size (length) of the instrument in feet: 6ft grand should have 6ms latency or less.

But the human brain can accommodate more than that, e.g., you're playing the piano keyboard in one spot but the actual mechanism is several metres away from you: that would be 10-20ms delay in the real world. Or an audience that sees you playing in a concert hall (the delay rarely occurs to them yet it's of the order of 100ms). So as far as latency goes, anything 10ms or less is excellent.

Last edited by SteveLy (13-12-2015 10:10)
3/2 = 5