Topic: Pro Version Features

Hello there,

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting the Pro version of not and maybe somewhat can provide some insights.

I just play Chopin and have to get at least the standard version to allow for non equal temperaments, and I don't see why I would use of need any of the Pro version's features. I don't imagine I would need to edit pianos on a note by note basis.

Also I am under the impression that you can load individual note editing done by other people using their Pro version into a Standard version using FXP files - or am I mistaken?

Re: Pro Version Features

Aidan wrote:

Also I am under the impression that you can load individual note editing done by other people using their Pro version into a Standard version using FXP files - or am I mistaken?

You are not mistaken.

Hard work and guts!

Hello Aidan,

I recommend buying the standard version. It should meet your requirements and does give you lots of tweaking power to obtain the piano sound that you are looking for. Then, if you feel the need to go further, you can always upgrade to the Pro version.

Aidan wrote:

Hello there,

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting the Pro version of not and maybe somewhat can provide some insights.

I just play Chopin and have to get at least the standard version to allow for non equal temperaments,

Joining in because I have a similar question. Reading the above, do I understand correctly that the standard version does have retuning functionality activated? This is the thing I would need. The descriptions on the product pages are not that clear to me in this aspect (actually I thought I would have to buy a pro version to get retuning). If the standard version would support retuning, too, that would be good news for me!

Hi hstraub,

When installing Pianoteq, you should find a more detailed description of both versions in the manual that should be in a documentation subfolder.

I upgraded to Pro some time ago and unfortunately don't remember exactly where lies the limits of the standard version, nevertheless, in the manual, in chapter 14 you can read: "... This note per note adjustment is available in the Standard version only for tuning and volume."

So, the standard version seems do the trick for you.

Last edited by mfiadeiro (23-11-2015 20:12)

The differences are listed at the bottom of this page: https://www.pianoteq.com/upgrades

Gilles wrote:

The differences are listed at the bottom of this page: https://www.pianoteq.com/upgrades

Thanks. I have been there - but exactly there it seems to say that a pro verison is needed for the retuning functionality...
But from mfiadeiro's post I understand that the standard version does what I want. Thanks to all!

The version Standard is the best quality/price. Perhaps it's better to play in 192khz because for pianist is the principal feature we need, the best sound, the other features are for piano tuner.

Last edited by Lylo (26-11-2015 13:52)

There's really no sound difference between running Pianoteq's engine at 48k vs 192k. Pianos don't have a lot (if at all) spectral energy above 12-15 kHz anyways.

Hard work and guts!

Yes, that's why I said "perhaps".

Yeah, frequencies over 48KHz are only needed if you need to process heavily on the audio files. 
Half of that frequency, which is 24KHz is well beyond human capacity...

For me, the Pro is well justified if you are passionate (stubborn/obsessed/...) enough to search for the sound that more closely matches your ideal piano sound (or If you want to build an unique instrument).

The tweaking power of this wonderful program is really awesome!! Kudos for Moddart!!!

Yeah, I don't see much reason why you would want to go much more above 48kHz anyway, except if you want to do a lot of time stretching and pitch shifting... then I think 192kHz audio might actually improve quality a bit. If you just want to use the piano sounds as they are, I don't see much reason to get the Pro version, I must admit. I still have the Standard and I am very satisfied... Best virtual instrument ever made imho!

Right now (till end of the month) the Pro version is on sale and costing just EU30 more than the Standard, so get the Pro.

Last edited by SteveLy (27-11-2015 01:50)
3/2 = 5

Yes, during Black Friday Pro is better choice than Standard.

Sigh! I wish, for those who bought Standard at full price, Modartt would offer a better Black Friday Pro upgrade price so our total spend was the same as buying Pro outright during this Black Friday deal. As it stands, upgrade to Pro would cost me 75EUR more than if I had bought Pro outright from the start during the Black Friday deal.

Tiger22 wrote:

Sigh! I wish, for those who bought Standard at full price, Modartt would offer a better Black Friday Pro upgrade price so our total spend was the same as buying Pro outright during this Black Friday deal. As it stands, upgrade to Pro would cost me 75EUR more than if I had bought Pro outright from the start during the Black Friday deal.

If you bought your Standard recently, it'd be worth contacting Modartt/Pianoteq directly and asking for Pro replacement instead of upgrade (effectively money-back on Std in exchange for purchasing Pro).

Last edited by SteveLy (28-11-2015 06:09)
3/2 = 5