Topic: Neupert Clavichord

Does anyone have comments to make about the Neupert Clavichord offered by Pianoteq free? I have used the sampled clavihchords before and found them less than satisfactory. Thanks.

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards

Re: Neupert Clavichord

It's much better than sampled clavichords.

Hard work and guts!

Re: Neupert Clavichord

Thanks. I am a brand new PTQ user, but I will weigh in again anyway. I tried the Neupert clavichord would like to see another clavichord added. Although I failed, when purchasing a new controller, to take into account the desirability of polyphonic aftertouch for the bebung effect (anyone have actual experience with that?). Might not have changed my mind, anyway, as that is only one of many considerations.

But this PTQ Neupert clavichord (goodness, the original is a copy by Neupert made in Nazi Germany, for crying out loud!) has a rather sterile sound, IMO. If you listen to recorded clavichords, such as those made by the late Thurston Dart or Bradley Lehman, there is a mellower, "woody" sonority that this instrument somehow lacks. I doubt it's the modeling, either, I suspect it's in the original.

Clavichords are not so very popular, but they have wonderful potential as modeled instruments for playing Bach and, even moreso, Froberger and his contemporaries.

For the present, this one is better than the samples I had from PMI (Gigastudio). One of them, in particular, has a couple of notes that are so odd that it makes the instrument almost unplayable. Haven't tried the Wavelore clavichord for Kontakt (which is $180 but on sale for $90 till Dec. 15). Anyone know of it? I'm a novice in all things digital musical, but I'm a little reluctant, despite my years-long interest in the clavichord, to spend money on new sampled software after just sinking $500 into physical modeled software (which, I have to say, is pretty amazing).

Amateur Standalone PTQ user; interests classical music, especially Bach and Mozart, and historic keyboards