Topic: Is copying the V-Grand-Piano's sound system smart?

Hi,

I play on a Roland F140R DP, but I use Pianoteq and the piano's speakers because Pianoteq sounds a lot better than the Roland software. In some other threads I read about the advice of getting a pair of decent monitors, for a better sound. Thanks for the input, I learned a lot!

But when I look at the sound systems of digital grand pianos, like the V Grand, their speakers are facing the ceiling, they're not mounting facing the sweet spot. And they use multiple drivers and amps.

Would it be a good idea to try to copy that setup for my piano? Is there an advantage in sound/power? Or is a typical monitor setup still ideal?

cheers,
Jo

Last edited by Jo (13-11-2015 10:02)

Re: Is copying the V-Grand-Piano's sound system smart?

Roland is trying to emulate what happens in a real grand, but your F140 has not the aspect of a grand anyway, so I would keep the monitors facing you. You could however try to mount them facing the ceiling, and if you are happy with this solution, OK. Be aware though that you will loose a lot of high frequencies: tweeters are directional while woofers are more omnidirectional up to a certain frequency.

Re: Is copying the V-Grand-Piano's sound system smart?

Ok, thanx for the info, Luc! I'll give that a try...