Topic: High-polyphony offline render possible on budget laptop?

Hi everyone,

To date I've been using Pianoteq on a powerful desktop i7 CPU, and I've been able to enjoy flawless real-time 256-note polyphony.

Now I need to take Pianoteq on the road, for which I intend to obtain an older budget laptop at a really good price. No doubt polyphony will suffer, but that's OK for real-time playing.  However, when I'm done with real-time playing, I'd like to be able to "offline render" (aka. export, bounce, whatever it may be called) my work at the highest quality, 256-note polyphony.

Does Pianoteq support this kind of non-real-time rendering?  Specifically, I'm using the Pianoteq VSTi with Reaper sequencer.

Last edited by mcihelka (05-11-2015 02:07)

Re: High-polyphony offline render possible on budget laptop?

Just save the MIDI file(s) of your live performance and re-render afterward on your powerful machine. The full 256-note polyphony will be recreated on the more powerful computer and can be exported as wav.

Last edited by Gilles (05-11-2015 02:21)

Thanks Gilles, this is something I've considered but, because I may be away from my desktop for days (or even weeks) at a time, I need to be able to render using the laptop.

Even if I do find an alternative solution (e.g. take a desktop PC with me lol), it would be good to know if Pianoteq supports high-polyphony offline rendering on weak CPUs.  Then I can make a properly informed decision ;-)

Yes. Use whatever polyphony you want for offline render. Reaper will use as much CPU as necessary to render it all - if there are cases where more CPU is needed, that just means the offline render will need more time to complete, but it will work.

Hard work and guts!

Awesome, exactly what I was hoping for!