Topic: Creating a "dying piano" effect within Pianoteq?

Hi

I'm still discovering the powers of Pianoteq, and am wondering if there's a way to create the effect of a piano going very gradually from "mint" condition to completely "worn" during the course of a particular (already recorded) MIDI file, and to output this as a WAV file. I want to create a sequence of "dying piano" pieces along these lines, but I don't know if it's possible within Pianoteq.

I've thought of a couple of possible ways of doing this with the help of other software:

1. export a series of WAV files of the same piece from Pianoteq, but vary the stage of ruin of each successive export, then line these files up in my DAW and crossfade from one version to another while mixing down to WAV in real time. (I'm assuming there's a way of mixing down this sort of real time replay in Logic, but haven't tried it out yet.)

2. set my DAW or audio editor to capture Pianoteq's output (if I can figure out how to do that), then replay my MIDI file in Pianoteq, while very gradually adjusting the degree of ruin in real time (if that's easy to do without clunky changes from one level of ruin to the next).

Both of these approaches seem to be unnecessarily labour-intensive, so if anyone can suggest a way of doing it within Pianoteq alone, I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks!

Re: Creating a "dying piano" effect within Pianoteq?

Try fiddling with the "midi learn" command and route the condition slider to a CC of your choice.

You can assign changing the quality to any MIDI event in options. I have just sucessfully assigned changing the quality to a spare knob on the keyboard. Start playing, turn the knob gradually, channel the sound to DAW.

Thanks lowendtheory and barafu.

Unfortunately my setup at the moment is only for midi playback, so I don't have a keyboard controller connected. I'm guessing that any changes I make to my midi files will have to be in a DAW then? Or are you both talking about changes I can make in Pianoteq itself?

Also, I don't really understand how to assign a midi event to something. I've only ever created midi files by improvising in real time and then tweaking the midi file a little in Logic (most of which I don't know how to use), so I've never needed to learn about assigning midi events manually -- till now at least...

Can someone refer me to a good explanation (YouTube? a forum somewhere?) of how to assign midi events in a way that helps with the sort of transitions I want to create? Or if I read through the Logic user manual will I eventually find what I need to know?

Sorry to trouble you with such basic questions, and thanks again for reading this.

Tabla,

And decent DAW allows for midi-automation, usually visualized in some window or other by ‘lanes’ in which you can not only see what type (and amount) of midi-automation is present, but where you can also create new midi-automation by ‘drawing it in’.
(These automation lanes often appear below the track they apply to, or in some DAW’s, as semi-transparent overlays. So if you’re working on a Pianoteq track, there should be a button, or a shortcut, or some menu command somewhere that makes those midi-automation lanes appear.)

I don’t know which DAW you’re working with, but check your manual and I’m sure you’ll find all you need to know about the particular implementation of midi-automation in your DAW.

Once you’ve done that, it’s simply a matter of assigning a midi-controller to Pianoteq’s ‘Condition’ parameter. By far the easiest way to do this, is to right-click on the parameter, then click on the ‘midi’-button which will bring up another button that says “Assign midi event”. If you then click that, Pianoteq will wait for you to move some hardware midi-controller (some fader, knob, dial or whatever) and as soon as you do that, the controller which you moved/turned/touched will be ‘connected’ to that parameter. Takes three seconds to do.

But since you don’t seem to have a keyboard at the moment (which is a bit strange for a Pianoteq-user, if I may say so), you’ll have to proceed another way:
(1) go to ‘Options, and click it
(2) select the first tab (‘Midi’)
(3) in the lower half of that tab you’ll see ‘Current Midi Mapping’ and next to that, a drop-down menu where you can select either ‘Minimalistic’ (which shows only a basic set of parameters) or ‘Fully featured’ (which shows them all).
(4) Either of those two options will show you column of controllers (left colum) and a column of parameters (right column). I would suggest you choose the ‘Fully featured’ option, if only because that allows you to avoid messing with the default midi-automation of the main parameters.
(5) Scroll to a parameter (right column) which you know you won’t be using in your session. (In your case, any will do, I suppose, since you will only be working with one controller modulating one parameter.) Anyway, click whichever parameter field you chose, and then click ‘Set parameter’, after which you navigate to ‘Instrument Condition’ which offers two sub-options ‘Condition’ and ‘Condition Seed’. Select ‘Condition'.

Now you’ve got your target parameter assigned, and the next step is to define a controller which will automate that parameter. (By the way, don’t confuse ‘controller’ with hardware controller. ‘Controller’ — or midi-controller — in this context, simply means a specific midi variable which can be set to ‘control’ a parameter.)

(6) Move to the left column, click ‘Controller ##’ (it won’t say ‘##’ but you’ll see some number instead), and then, from the drop-down menu, select and click ‘Control change’ which brings up a long list of available midi-controllers. Choose one, but I would strongly advice to pick one of the higher numbers, because most of the lower numbers are often hard-wired to perform specific functions (either in your DAW or in Pianoteq). Anyway, let’s say you picked Controller 109. A fine choice.

What you have accomplished at this stage is that midi-controller 109 will automate Pianoteq’s ‘Condition’ parameter. And now it’s only a matter of you drawing in midi-controller 109 data in your DAW. Again: check your DAW’s manual: find out which is the tool to draw midi-controller data with, find out how to open those ‘automation lanes’ and then simply draw a line or a curve or whatever. The higher the curve goes, the higher the value of Pianoteq’s ‘Condition’-parameter will be.

And if, after all this, you then play back your Pianoteq-track you should — if you did all the previous steps correctly, that is — hear the ‘Condition’-parameter change depending on the curve or line which you drew.

- - - - - - - -

EDIT: I just re-read your post and noticed that you're working with Logic. Me too.
Here's one of several ways of how to do it in Logic:

(1) Record, or step-input, or pencil in a piano track. (I mention the latter two because I don't see how else you would enter midi info in Logic, without a keyboard.)
(2) Double-click the resulting region, which should bring up the piano-roll editor (or whatever it is called these days)
(3) Enable Hyper-draw (under the 'View'-menu). However, when enabling Hyper-draw make sure to do it for controller 109. You do that by clicking 'Other ...' in the HyperDraw submenu and then selecting 'Controller 109' from the available list.
(4) This will bring up an empty area below the piano-roll area in which you can draw (and/or edit) lines and curves to your heart's content. You can easily verify if you're drawing in the correct controller data because the number of the controller — in this case '109' — will be shown in the top-left corner of the drawing area.

Done!

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (18-09-2015 08:19)

Piet De Ridder wrote:

Tabla,

And decent DAW allows for midi-automation, usually visualized in some window or other by ‘lanes’ in which you can not only see what type (and amount) of midi-automation is present, but where you can also create new midi-automation by ‘drawing it in’.
(These automation lanes often appear below the track they apply to, or in some DAW’s, as semi-transparent overlays. So if you’re working on a Pianoteq track, there should be a button, or a shortcut, or some menu command somewhere that makes those midi-automation lanes appear.)

_

Thank you so much Piet for your very careful and detailed explanation. As I write I'm listening to Logic play through one of my pieces after following your instructions, and the effect I was hoping for is working brilliantly, with only one small problem left for me to solve.

Because my MIDI track defaults to a view that disappears off the screen (it's more than a few minutes long), I zoomed in till the full track was visible, then drew a line that ran the full width of the track, from 0 to the top of the range offered in MIDI draw (the new name for hyper draw, apparently). But when I play the track through, the piece gets cut off before the end -- the dying effect is applied effectively across the first 5 minutes or so of the track, then the track goes silent. I must have inadvertently done something to truncate the track rather than just shrink the view to fit the window.

I'll keep tweaking this till I've figured it out, but again thanks so much for your really clear and helpful advice!

PS: you were wondering why I don't have a keyboard connected: I don't have space in my current setup, but I do have hours of previously recorded MIDI improvisations and pieces that I want to work on (more as a composer than a performer), so I'm making do with this setup till I can expand my workspace.