Topic: Default volume control?

New user.
Linux (Fedora).
Works fine (with vmpk soft kbd).
On startup the volume control is set far too high (90%?).
I can't find a way of saving preferences? Is there one please.

Re: Default volume control?

I think you have to save it for each instrument voice.  <File><Save Preset As>

Be sure to rename it. (For safety's sake)

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

GRB wrote:

I think you have to save it for each instrument voice.  <File><Save Preset As>

Be sure to rename it. (For safety's sake)

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

It seems to 'remember' the setting the second time round so that problem solved. Tks.

How to quit without a core dump?

$ ./pianoteq  &
[1] 12269
$ Multi-core: got real-time scheduling with priority 65

then

$
[1]-  Done                    ./pianoteq
[2]+  Segmentation fault      (core dumped) vmpk

when I used quit from the menu?

Last edited by pe2dave (10-09-2015 15:28)

pe2dave wrote:

$ ./pianoteq  &
[1] 12269

then

$

The Segmentation fault is in vmpk, not pianoteq. Have you tried to start pianoteq in the foreground with just " $ ./pianoteq"?
Or quitting vmpk first before you quit pianoteq?

groovy wrote:
pe2dave wrote:

$ ./pianoteq  &
[1] 12269

then

$

The Segmentation fault is in vmpk, not pianoteq. Have you tried to start pianoteq in the foreground with just " $ ./pianoteq"?
Or quitting vmpk first before you quit pianoteq?

My bad. Thanks.
So which is the 'correct' order of quitting please?
I can only think an internal software connection is being made and broken when I quit?

I quit vmpk first - using the menu - still get the core dump.
Quit pianoteq first, then vmpk - still get the core dump.

Seems it is only vmpk. Thanks.

Pianoteq can freeze many parameters, including volume. So, you can adjust volume slider and then freeze it, after that you can switch presets and even restart Pianoteq and volume slider will not change.

Last edited by Ross (10-09-2015 17:30)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

pe2dave wrote:

My bad. Thanks.
So which is the 'correct' order of quitting please?
I can only think an internal software connection is being made and broken when I quit?

I quit vmpk first - using the menu - still get the core dump.
Quit pianoteq first, then vmpk - still get the core dump.

Seems it is only vmpk. Thanks.

I just installed vmpk just for interest. With its default settings and started from commandline with '$ vmpk" this virtual keyboard appears in the later startet '$ pianoteq' as "VMPK Output". Because I have listening Pianoteq "to all MIDI inputs", I get pianosounds from klicking the virtual keyboard vmpk. On my system it makes no difference, whether I quit Pianoteq or vmpk first (no segfaults).

Normally I always start the MIDI peripherals first (keyboards, controllers) and then Pianoteq. For quitting I choose the reverse order.

The distribution is Debian Jessie 64-bit.

Good luck

Last edited by groovy (10-09-2015 18:06)

groovy wrote:

I just installed vmpk just for interest. With its default settings and started from commandline with '$ vmpk" this virtual keyboard appears in the later startet '$ pianoteq' as "VMPK Output". Because I have listening Pianoteq "to all MIDI inputs", I get pianosounds from klicking the virtual keyboard vmpk. On my system it makes no difference, whether I quit Pianoteq or vmpk first (no segfaults).

Normally I always start the MIDI peripherals first (keyboards, controllers) and then Pianoteq. For quitting I choose the reverse order.

Good luck

'startet'? Is that Debian?
man vmpk shows no 'output' option?

OK, there is something 'different' - it is not a pianoteq issue.

Thanks for your help.
Dave

pe2dave wrote:
groovy wrote:

Good luck

'startet'? Is that Debian?
man vmpk shows no 'output' option?

OK, there is something 'different' - it is not a pianoteq issue.

Thanks for your help.
Dave

Sorry for my typo and poor english, I meant just "started". - In other words: In a terminal-window I typed "vmpk" at the user prompt (this starts vmpk). In a second terminal-window I typed my Pianoteq command ("pianoteq" for example). This starts Pianoteq.

"VMPK Output" is the MIDI-input shown in Pianoteq then, not a setting in vmpk! (see under options in PTQ).

Is your fedora up-to-date? The basic procedure of starting to binaries in terminal windows is not different.

groovy wrote:

Sorry for my typo and poor english, I meant just "started". - In other words: In a terminal-window I typed "vmpk" at the user prompt (this starts vmpk). In a second terminal-window I typed my Pianoteq command ("pianoteq" for example). This starts Pianoteq.

"VMPK Output" is the MIDI-input shown in Pianoteq then, not a setting in vmpk! (see under options in PTQ).

Is your fedora up-to-date? The basic procedure of starting to binaries in terminal windows is not different.

OK. I understand. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, my fedora is up to date.
The only difference, I use one terminal window to start both applications.

I have filed a bug with vmpk.

Again, thanks.