Topic: Bug: Midi learn is not saving with project

I found a bug in Pianoteq 5 Stage 5.3.0 where if I midi learn a parameter (say the volume slider or any of the pedals) when I re-open the project these midi learns are not being recalled. I've tried saving new user patches after midi learning and still they are not being reloaded / saved in the instrument. Here are specific steps to replicate the bug.

1. Open your DAW (I've only tested in Cubase 8 on Mac)
2. Midi learn anything on the interface (e.g. the volume sider or any of the pedals - I personally learnt midi CC11 to volume)
3. Record a part and include this this midi CC automation
4. Playback the part and see that the midi CC is indeed automating the assigned parameter
5. Save and close your project / DAW.
6. Reopen your project / daw and play the part you previously recorded

You will see that the midi cc is no longer controlling the assigned parameter.

This is a major bug and hopefully it can be confirmed and fixed as this makes assigning alternate pedals, sliders, etc almost worthless as it takes far to long to relearn this for each piano (I'm running 4 different pianos in my song for different sections, not to mention different songs, all of which need to be relearned each day to continue working. Major hassle!

p.s. I sent an official support request on the 28th or 29th and have yet to receive a reply.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Here are my system specs:
Pianoteq 5 Stage 5.3.0
Cubase 8.0.2
Mac OS 10.9.5

Last edited by LGK_Dude (01-09-2015 22:58)

Re: Bug: Midi learn is not saving with project

Yeah I noticed my MIDI setting was not being saved.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

It's not a bug, it is a behaviour by design. You need to go to Pianoteq > Options > MIDI page and save the new MIDI mapping to file. Then you have the option to make that saved MIDI setup as the default one.

AKM wrote:

It's not a bug, it is a behaviour by design. You need to go to Pianoteq > Options > MIDI page and save the new MIDI mapping to file. Then you have the option to make that saved MIDI setup as the default one.

Thank you for the work around, but this is still a bug IMO. Every other VST instrument I use, when you close a project and reopen it, retains its settings. So the fact that Pianoteq does not is a Bug. I'm glad it has the option to manually save the midi mapping to a file, but the fact that you can close the plugin after midi learning, save your DAW, and reopen the project and the midi learn is no longer there is a bug. Its the same this as if you made adjustments to the piano itself, Loaded the D2 piano and messed with its settings, then saved your DAW project and closed it an upon reopening it went back to the default piano sound.

Again thank you for the work around, but this is still a bug that should be addressed.

Last edited by LGK_Dude (02-09-2015 22:00)

Update - saving the midi assignment first and then selecting this "as default" DOES solve my problem. I was missing that crucial step of actually saving the current midi mapping first (thought I could just select "make default" but you MUST save it first.)

Though I still believe this is a bug for the reasons outlined previously (as you can still have this information save with your DAW) I'm very glad and grateful to have found a working solution. Thank you very much AKM, as surprisingly I have still yet to hear back from Pianoteq support (when I submitted it said I would be contacted within 24 hours - that was almost 5 days ago and have yet to hear anything)

I also think it's not a bug, it's by design. If you want MIDI learn to stick, use your DAW's MIDI learning facilities (if it has them).

Last edited by EvilDragon (03-09-2015 10:42)
Hard work and guts!

Maybe it's just not user friendly.  An unintuitive interface cannot be considered good design.  Technically a bug would be where the program behaves in an unintended fashion.  User unfriendliness is usually the result of poor menu design, or the lack of easy to understand menus.  Personally I think MIDI settings should be specific to a specific instrument.  For example I have already indicated that it is possible to run two Pianoteq pianos on Linux at the same time.  I would like to do a split with this feature by blocking off different sections of keys on the two instruments, but I don't believe it's possible with the Standard Version.  Does Pianoteq Pro allow for the blocking of individual keys?

Last edited by GRB (03-09-2015 13:04)

You can do splits by setting the volume of particular keys to the lowest value, even in Standard. Double-click the Volume slider.

Also you can link specific MIDI settings file to a specific Pianoteq preset...

Last edited by EvilDragon (03-09-2015 14:08)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

You can do splits by setting the volume of particular keys to the lowest value, even in Standard. Double-click the Volume slider.

Also you can link specific MIDI settings file to a specific Pianoteq preset...

How do you block MIDI to a certain key?  I presume with this method each piano would run on a separate MIDI channel.  Do you know if in the ProVersion you can simply turn any note off?  Or can it be done by editing the (text) file created for each piano voice?

You can't block notes via MIDI, only via note edit. Pro is no different to Standard in this regard.

As far as standalone, it's not possible to do such MIDI filtering by note range. Gotta use a host of sorts that has more formiddable MIDI filtering facilities.

Hard work and guts!