Topic: Small feature request: XY markings on Mics page for meters or feet

In other words, just a vertical and horizontal line along the left and bottom edge of both views, with markings for each half meter or so. This would make setting mics easier--it's common to read about mic placement in terms of "set an omni mic a meter above the middle of the piano." We can of course work out where this would be using XY coordinates, but having these vertical and horizontal lines would make things much easier. To reach greater precision, of course, the user could still right-click and refine the exact positions.

I would also value the option of changing the lines to divide things up by meters or by feet. As understandable and widespread as the metric system is, a foot is still a good, widely used measurement in the U.S. (I suspect that one reason the U.S. resists the metric system is just because there is no unit between the centimeter and the meter--we don't want to give up our feet?)

A further refinement: When the left mouse button is held down to drag a mic, a grid with lines marking meters\feet might appear, making placement still more accurate. Might be an option that could be turned on\off from a button on the Mics page.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (27-07-2015 16:58)

Re: Small feature request: XY markings on Mics page for meters or feet

I'd like to see a lot of the adjustment screens pop open to full screen.  Also some sort of oscilloscope or visualizer might be helpful too to possibly visualize what is going on with the sound, although you can usually hear better than you can see.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Did you know that you can already pop out windows for microphone positioning, note editing, effects, timbral EQ? Makes it quite handy to have it all open like that:

http://i.imgur.com/7liS0Uul.png

Just hover above the title of the window (EQUALIZER, NOTE EDIT, EFFECTS) and wait for the hand to show up, then drag it out.

EDIT: Whoops, I just noticed you said "pop open to FULL SCREEN". Oops, sorry, my reply is then unrelated.

Last edited by EvilDragon (27-07-2015 17:35)
Hard work and guts!

Well, at the risk of making this into a "small features" thread instead of one focused on my request for a visible XY axis for meters and feet:

I agree that it would be good to be able to pop any of the Edit panes into full screen view. A single button between the "?" icon and the "X" icon would work. Dragging the pane off and then clicking in the bottom right corner and dragging a pane to full size works, of course, but is time-consuming. (Partly because you also have to drag the pane to the upper left corner of the monitor before pulling on the lower right corner, if you want the pane to occupy the full screen.)

Jake Johnson wrote:

Well, at the risk of making this into a "small features" thread instead of one focused on my request for a visible XY axis for meters and feet:

I agree that it would be good to be able to pop any of the Edit panes into full screen view. A single button between the "?" icon and the "X" icon would work. Dragging the pane off and then clicking in the bottom right corner and dragging a pane to full size works, of course, but is time-consuming. (Partly because you also have to drag the pane to the upper left corner of the monitor before pulling on the lower right corner, if you want the pane to occupy the full screen.)

I tried expanding the mic adjustment window on Linux but it doesn't seem to work at all.  Finally I did find a place were the hand came out.  I could drag it out and away from the main display, but could not expand it. On the other hand I could expand the note edit screen, but as you say it's time consuming and tedious to do it.  The interface does not seem to be consistent.

Last edited by GRB (29-07-2015 13:19)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Yeah none of the other windows are expandable because they're not completely vector graphics... I guess you could compensate by using the zoom feature, but that won't look nice past a certain point.

Hard work and guts!