Topic: Velocity curve - Recording volume too low (wav and midi)

Hi everyone.
I use Pianoteq Pro 5.3.0.
I entered a velocity curve to "slow Moderaterly keyboard" because I have a light touch. While studio headphones everything the volume is fine, but when I export to wav from midi with Pianoteq, it noted that the recording volume is too low. How can I fix this? By customizing the velocity curve? How is it done? I saw that on the website there are curves of speed according to different pianos, but I can not find the right one for my Yamaha U3. I have an upright piano Yamaha U3 and a Silent Kurzweil MLS2.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by maria_pianista (23-07-2015 17:59)

Re: Velocity curve - Recording volume too low (wav and midi)

Don't touch to your velocity curve if it is fine for you.

One solution is to decrease the the dynamics to +/- 30 before you export your midi file to wav. That will have a compression effect that will enhance the sound. These kind of settings are adequate for recording purpose.

After that, the easiest way to enhance the audio level is to normalize the wav file at -0,5 dB. All the DAW have this fonction.

You can do these 2 operations.

I think the low audio level when you export the midi as a wav file is a kind of security to prevent from a saturation in the sound.

Good luck

Greetings Maria Pianista, welcome to the Pianoteq messageboard

You can save your velocity curves as presets to quickly change between them, if let's say you need a different one for playing on one keyboard, or another keyboard, and another one for rendering midi files recorded by other people.

And yes, the dynamics setting has a huge impact on the overall volume. It basically decides how much difference in volume there will be between very soft and very loud notes. So for example if you set it to zero, all notes will have about the same volume, even if the timbre is different.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Thanks a lot. Actually not only the wav is low, also the midi is low. I always have to bring up the volume of my computer (Mac Book Pro) to feel good through headphones. Obviously when you are not listening with headphones the volume is not enough.

The output is now set to 0 dB and 57 dB dynamic. Volume = 0
My current curve: 0 - 4,18 - 15,29 - 30,46 - 49,64 - 71,81 - 98,106 - 127,127

If it lower yet the dynamics, the sound comes out to a higher volume but the timbre of presets is no longer as good as before.
I apologize for my bad English, I hope at least you understand :-)

Last edited by maria_pianista (25-07-2015 07:40)

maria_pianista wrote:

Thanks a lot. Actually not only the wav is low, also the midi is low. I always have to bring up the volume of my computer (Mac Book Pro) to feel good through headphones. Obviously when you are not listening with headphones the volume is not enough.

The output is now set to 0 dB and 57 dB dynamic. Volume = 0
My current curve: 0 - 4,18 - 15,29 - 30,46 - 49,64 - 71,81 - 98,106 - 127,127

If it lower yet the dynamics, the sound comes out to a higher volume but the timbre of presets is no longer as good as before.
I apologize for my bad English, I hope at least you understand :-)

Hello,

This is just my opinion, but I think your dynamic is too high.
The factory settings are all around 40 for the "Player sounds" and around 30 for the "Recording" ones. They (Pianoteq team) probably know what they do.
I tend to not change these factory values more than 10%.
If I was you, I would set the dynamic to 40, the volume to -2 and I would do a new velocity curve based on these values.

Good luck

Thank you, stamkorg! Very helpful! Now I try.