Topic: Poll: Should the Pianoteq Harp include pre-pluck finger buzz noise?

Hi everyone,

In the original harp thread (http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...50#p938650), I wrote the following:

anton wrote:

In a real harp, if you pluck a string that is already vibrating, there is always a slight 'pre-pluck finger buzz'.  This noise is very noticeable when playing repeated notes, and it is an essential and unmistakable part of the sound of a live harp -- similar to the 'legato transitions' in string or woodwind instruments. Without these noises, the demo mockups sound synthy and sterile in comparison with real-life performances.

I hope that Pianoteq will include these finger buzz noises in the next version of the harp!

I am curious to know whether other users agree with me.  Hopefully we can convince the developers to include these pre-pluck noises.

The inclusion of pre-pluck buzz will entail extra latency (as do legato transitions), and this may bother keyboard players during live performances.  However, as Julian pointed out in the other thread, premier guitar sample libraries easily solve this problem by offering the user a choice between two modes: 1) a low-latency "Live" mode that has shorter pre-pluck noise and that is therefore less realistic, and 2) a higher-latency "Sequencer" mode that offers full realism.  Perhaps Pianoteq can include a 'finger buzz latency' parameter with which the amount of pre-pluck buzz can be varied.

Here are two beautiful reminders of how harps sound in live performances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDGLfJdtPI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbga8ziRYSU

Last edited by anton (18-07-2015 22:22)

Re: Poll: Should the Pianoteq Harp include pre-pluck finger buzz noise?

I'm not a harp expert, but in all instruments, all these "non-tonal" noises really add to the realism.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Before even thinking about the sound, I must ask: How old is Alisa Sadikova in that performance? Six? Eight? She's astonishing.

I'm not sure that I hear a pre-attack buzz. Are there specific moments when it becomes more audible in those videos?

One thing I did notice about the sound is the plucky, nylony sound on the high, short strings, and how hard she had to pluck those strings to get a good amplitude. She either had a little trouble getting the right volume on the lowest strings or the mic was placed to catch the upper and middle strings.

Both players varied the attack point. Of course, on a harp, seeking the middle of the string means moving the hand to very different positions, since the  length of the strings varies so much, but at times they seemed to be intentionally not seeking the middle of the string, but instead seeking the buzzier sound of plucking off-center, controlling the timbre in the way that a guitarist can control timbre by exploiting the exposed length of string between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge. That seems to be an unavoidable limitation of any harp replication, either in samples or in modelling. The variation in attack point can't be assigned to velocity. Or could it be assigned to a pedal?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (18-07-2015 22:31)

Jake Johnson wrote:

That seems to be an unavoidable limitation of any harp replication, either in samples or in modelling. The variation in attack point can't be assigned to velocity. Or could it be assigned to a pedal?

That's one of the first things i thought about when Modartt released the harp add-on. There's already a "strike point" setting in pianoteq. Does this setting affect where the string is plucked on the harp? If so, this could be assigned to a pedal, as you mentioned. Except a real harp player could, for example, pluck the edges of the string length with one hand at the same time as the center with the other hand...

Jake Johnson wrote:

I'm not sure that I hear a pre-attack buzz. Are there specific moments when it becomes more audible in those videos?

The beginning of the following video will perhaps make clearer to which noise I am referring: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNkBaKb6IcI&t=32s
The piece begins with several repeated intervals.  When there is a long gap between the repeated notes, there is no audible buzz.  However, when the notes follow each other quickly there is a distinct buzzy sound before each pluck.

In the original two videos, the buzz should also be most prominent whenever there are loud, fast repeated notes.  For example, in Alisa's video at approximately 26s, and in Remy's video at approx 36s.

Last edited by anton (19-07-2015 16:05)

Anton,

Wouldn’t it be easier to think of that buzz as ‘string-damping (between repeated notes)”, instead of “pre-pluck finger buzz”?

And I’m not just saying this to simply give that sound a different name, no, there’s more to it than that: if we regard it as string damping, the noise can be placed AT THE END of a note, which, I would imagine, is a much easier thing to implement than upgrading the artificial intelligence of the Pianoteq-software in such a spectacular way that it will somehow be capable to predict/anticipate what’s coming (and thus be able to insert a “pre-pluck”-noise BEFORE a note is actually triggered).

All this assuming of course that this noise will, some day, be considered for inclusion in an upgraded Pianoteq Concert Harp.
A very tricky challenge in any event, because for it to work convincingly, the sound of a vibrating string will somehow have to morph very quickly into the buzzing sound of a dampened string.

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (19-07-2015 16:41)

Well, wouldn't the damping buzz then would be on every note, instead of just repeated notes? But yes, the implementation is a problem. It would need to be a damping on the attack. The code would have to be something along the lines of "If amplitude of current string > x, damp before the note is played"?

Jake Johnson wrote:

The code would have to be something along the lines of "If amplitude of current string > x, damp before the note is played"?

It's never that simple

Hard work and guts!

Piet De Ridder wrote:

Wouldn’t it be easier to think of that buzz as ‘string-damping (between repeated notes)”, instead of “pre-pluck finger buzz”?

Yep, "string-damping (between repeated notes)" of individual strings is exactly what pre-pluck finger buzz is.

Piet de Ridder wrote:

And I’m not just saying this to simply give that sound a different name, no, there’s more to it than that: if we regard it as string damping, the noise can be placed AT THE END of a note, which, I would imagine, is a much easier thing to implement than upgrading the artificial intelligence of the Pianoteq-software in such a spectacular way that it will somehow be capable to predict/anticipate what’s coming (and thus be able to insert a “pre-pluck”-noise BEFORE a note is actually triggered).

Fortunately, the Pianoteq engine would not need clairvoyance!  It can work in the same way as legato/portamento transitions in string/woodwind/choir sample libraries: Only when the note is actually played (not before), do the engine decide whether a legato/portamento transition is required.  It plays this transition sample if needed, and *then* the note. 

Similarly, the Pianoteq engine can follow something like the rule given by Jake to decide whether or not to play a string-damping/finger buzz 'transition' sound before playing the actual note, and how loud and long this buzz should be.

The damper noise is already implemented in the harp for repeated notes, and in the PRO version it can be augmented (or reduced) in the NE panel,  see the "Damper Noise" parameter. You can hear it with the current settings if you play a note loud and repeat it softly.

If we consider that pre-pluck buzz sound for the harp is better implemented, as Piet wrote, as damping between notes, I think it may be currently simulated in a way by some kind of soft repetition, since in fast playing, a damped note may not sound much different than a softer repetition of the same. This is arguable of course, but the point is also that a keyboard is a much different interface than touching strings directly (as is also the case for guitar for example), and that it is difficult to think of a way to add randomly happening pre-buzz sounds without it becoming mechanical.

In any case, I tried something here, using the reverb pre-delay reflection (thus having a somewhat different tone than a straight repetition) to change to attack slightly so as to have more the impression of fingers damping strings at times. See what you think:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?id=2354

Piet de Ridder wrote:

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

The damper noise is already implemented in the harp for repeated notes, and in the PRO version it can be augmented (or reduced) in the NE panel,  see the "Damper Noise" parameter. You can hear it with the current settings if you play a note loud and repeat it softly.

In the original harp thread, I mentioned that I tried to simulate the pre-pluck finger buzz using string damping and damper noise:

anton wrote:

I am currently experimenting with the following idea to get proper muting (aka pre-pluck finger buzz) sound between repeated notes:  (It is only applicable to sequencers, not live playing, unfortunately.)

If I understand correctly, in the Pianoteq harp, a MIDI note with velocity of 1 plays a "muting" sound if the string was already vibrating.  Therefore:

1) Make a duplicate of all the MIDI notes in the file, 2) lower the velocity of all duplicate notes to 1, and 3) shift the duplicate notes a few hundredths of a second earlier than the original notes.

By doing so, all the original notes will be preceded by a muting note.  Each "pluck" is therefore preceded by a light "touch".

I have not been able to get it working (yet), but I will keep trying a little more.  I have noticed, however, that some of the muting noises sound strangely high pitched.

Unfortunately, I have still not been able to get it working properly.  Perhaps other users with better mockup skills can do it better?

For this idea to work though, the damper noises themselves must be realistic.  (I have sent examples of the high-pitched noises to the developers to check.)

Last edited by anton (19-07-2015 20:35)

The problem is that the software can't guess in advance what notes you're going to play and when - implementing this pre-note buzz will unavoidably add a delay (latency) to the actual notes, if they're to be preceded by the buzz sound. However, when rendering midi data to disk, i would presume this can be done flawlessly, as far as i can see

/* edit */ .... at least with standard midi. I think the Yamaha Disklavier sends note positions for each movement of the keys, even before notes are played, similar to CC data - maybe if that becomes a dominant standard used by midi keyboards, this pre-note buzz thing could be done in realtime without adding latency. Unfortunately, standard midi doesn't send any note data before each note is to be played. Such keyboards would be pretty expensive due to types of sensors used tho.....

Last edited by delt (19-07-2015 21:50)

I never tried play a harp.

Can the hands's size or finger1s size, tickness, make some difference on sound?

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-07-2015 23:47)

Beto-Music wrote:

Can the hands's size or finger1s size, tickness, make some difference on sound?

Don't think so.

Hard work and guts!

delt wrote:

The problem is that the software can't guess in advance what notes you're going to play and when - implementing this pre-note buzz will unavoidably add a delay (latency) to the actual notes, if they're to be preceded by the buzz sound. However, when rendering midi data to disk, i would presume this can be done flawlessly, as far as i can see

Composers (like me) who work with Pianoteq in a DAW typically have somewhat different requirement from keyboardists who play Pianoteq live.  Composers need the highest realism, and latency is no bother - we can easily compensate for latency in our sequencers.  Keyboardists, on the other hand, like latency to be as low as possible, and they may be willing to sacrifice some realism to achieve low latency.  I hope that the next versions of the Pianoteq harp will also cater to composers!

In the other harp thread, I quoted Electri6ity's take on the importance of pre-pluck noises:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...83#p938683

BTW, over at the VI-Control forum, there is currently a discussion on the issue of portamento transitions in string libraries and the effects on latency and keyboard playing:
/http://vi-control.net/community/index....lay.46727/

Julian

I agree, that sound is essential to harp playing!  Plus it could be implemented in a very similar way to what's already happening with the piano, where the sound of an already-vibrating string getting struck with the hammer is different from the sound of a silent string.  Really, that's all this boils down to.  It would cause little-to-no delay and could be implemented as a slow, longer sound on note-off or as a quick sound immediately turning into a pluck when there is no note-off but just a repeated note.  I played the Harp demo and wished so much that I could hear those noises, but it didn't sound like an actual harp to me.  It sounded like someone sitting at a keyboard playing a harp sound.

My understanding is that Pianoteq models a new sound every time a CC or midi message is received, so there's always a degree of variability to the model.  Meaning every time the sustain pedal is pressed, for example, a new sound is created and we never get the so-called "machine gun" effect.  The same principal could easily apply to the harp with this harp sound where you can adjust the intensity and length, and adjust the randomness of those two factors, and the algorithm would decide the best standard setting based on the volume at which the string is vibrating.

Casiquire wrote:

I agree, that sound is essential to harp playing!  Plus it could be implemented in a very similar way to what's already happening with the piano, where the sound of an already-vibrating string getting struck with the hammer is different from the sound of a silent string.

This is implemented in the harp too.

IS the excessive buzz (like the one in a vídeo of a guy demosntrating i), something more noticeable in poor harps, something the manufactures would get ride if they could ?

Beto,

It’s got nothing to do with the quality of the instrument. The buzz is the sound of what happens when a finger is about to pluck an already vibrating string (it can often be heard in acoustic guitar and, sometimes, upright bass playing as well (*)): it’s that very short moment, the instant right before the new pluck occurs, when the finger touches and dampens a vibrating string, resulting in that characteristic rattling buzz.
It’s not something that you can “get rid of” or that can be avoided. And most people rather like it actually. Although too much of it is usually indicative of a less accomplished player.

((*) Not to be confused with the string rattling against neck of an acousitc guitar or an upright bass of course.)

_

Last edited by Piet De Ridder (27-07-2015 14:32)

Casiquire wrote:

I agree, that sound is essential to harp playing!  Plus it could be implemented in a very similar way to what's already happening with the piano, where the sound of an already-vibrating string getting struck with the hammer is different from the sound of a silent string.

Hmm, I didn't hear it when playing.

Casiquire wrote:
Casiquire wrote:

You can hear it for example in the following cases:

1. load "Concert Harp Daily" with default settings, play middle C forte and press the sustain pedal down after having played this note. You will hear the buzz produced by the finger coming in contact with the string,

2. load "Concert Harp Daily" with default settings, play middle C forte without pedal and then repeat the same note mezzo piano. You will hear a similar sound as in 1. If you have the PRO version, you can increase the loudness of this buzz by increasing the "Damper noise" parameter in the Note Edit panel.

Casiquire wrote:

You can hear it for example in the following cases:

1. load "Concert Harp Daily" with default settings, play middle C forte and press the sustain pedal down after having played this note. You will hear the buzz produced by the finger coming in contact with the string,

2. load "Concert Harp Daily" with default settings, play middle C forte without pedal and then repeat the same note mezzo piano. You will hear a similar sound as in 1. If you have the PRO version, you can increase the loudness of this buzz by increasing the "Damper noise" parameter in the Note Edit panel.

Unfortunately, Pianoteq's current implementation of string damping sound is not the same thing as pre-pluck finger buzz. 

As mentioned above, I have tried to hack this string damping sound and the "Damper noise" parameter to simulate pre-pluck finger buzz, but without success.

Last edited by anton (29-07-2015 21:26)

I didn't see this mentioned, but with regard to the latency aspect and catering to composers/DAW/sequencer users, one idea that I've seen implemented in another modeled instrument might be something Modartt could consider:

Synful Orchestra (synful.com) has something they call "Delay for Expression" which, when turned on, introduces a 1-second delay while the software "reads ahead" in the MIDI file and makes some really intelligent decisions about legato, attack, portamento, etc. in the instrument. It introduces an incredible amount of realism to my ears, and so may Modartt would consider adding some kind of setting similar to that so that users generating audio from a MIDI file could benefit from added realism such as pre-pluck buzz.

Just thought I'd throw that out...