Topic: Kawai CA97 sample videos

Hi folks!

Here a couple videos featuring the Kawai CA97, will be uploading more on the comming days.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiGKcp...A3ZmwOjxEw

Hope you like it!

Cheers and peace
David

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

Re: Kawai CA97 sample videos

I enjoyed your playing in these videos. I have never heard the Tchaikovsky piece before. Lovely.

Looking at the specs for the Kawai CA97, I see that it has both midi connections and a Line-in jack, which leads to the obvious question: Have you tried playing Pianoteq with it, routing the sound to the CA97's speakers?

I noticed one parameter that I don't think I've see in a digital piano before, "Hammer Delay," which the manual (page 80 and page 93) says can "Adjust the delay of the hammer striking strings when playing pianissimo," with the idea being that an older, badly regulated piano may have "a perceived delay between a key being
pressed and the hammer striking the strings." I've certainly experienced this effect on older pianos, but more on individual notes than across the entire keyboard. On the Kawai, it appears to be a universal parameter--all of the keys are affected. The parameter is turned off by default. Have you tried it out? Any change in the feel of the instrument?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (16-07-2015 03:02)

Jake Johnson wrote:

I enjoyed your playing in these videos. I have never heard the Tchaikovsky piece before. Lovely.

Looking at the specs for the Kawai CA97, I see that it has both midi connections and a Line-in jack, which leads to the obvious question: Have you tried playing Pianoteq with it, routing the sound to the CA97's speakers?

I noticed one parameter that I don't think I've see in a digital piano before, "Hammer Delay," which the manual (page 80 and page 93) says can "Adjust the delay of the hammer striking strings when playing pianissimo," with the idea being that an older, badly regulated piano may have "a perceived delay between a key being
pressed and the hammer striking the strings." I've certainly experienced this effect on older pianos, but more on individual notes than across the entire keyboard. On the Kawai, it appears to be a universal parameter--all of the keys are affected. The parameter is turned off by default. Have you tried it out? Any change in the feel of the instrument?

Hi Jake, thanks for watching, I'm glad you liked October as it's a very personal  interpretation (didn't like the way people usually play it)

I sometimes play PTQ through the CA97 speakers (Line-In) and it sounds simply great, but you'll have to fiddle a bit with the small input gain knob beside the input itself cause the sound can easily distort if the knob is set too high. On the other hand you will hear a difference in volume between PTQ and the onboard sounds if the knob is set too low (try and error until you get the proper value, and then you can change the overall volume by the main fader).

I've tried the "hammer delay" and when I play classical music it's set to 4 (out of 10) which is the default setting (among others) when chosing the classical mode on the VT. Yoiu can notice it specially on the lower notes, say the lower half of the keyboard giving it a small yet noticeable delay between pressing and hearing the note. I wouldn't say it affect equally to every note, it's rather like a linear curve effect applied to the whole keyboard (my feeling), and you cannot change any other parameter on it except the depth (Off to 10).

Hope it helped a little

Any chance of a demo or two that plays Pianoteq through the Kawai's speakers? I'm partly interested in hearing how the instrument's sound board affects Pianoteq. Complicated, of course, and the sound would depend on your mics, etc, but it would be of interest, despite the many variables.

I wonder if the Depth control is actually an envelope control--the higher the setting, the deeper the curve? Or would it be an inverted Vel -> Delay modulation? Seems as though it would be hard to tell the difference between these two ways of modulating the delay. (?)

Any chance of you posting a video demonstrating how the change in settings affects the sound and playing?

Yes, you may have thought that you were starting a conversation about your great new instrument, but I'm trying to drag you into a technical discussion! Sorry about that...

Last edited by Jake Johnson (17-07-2015 16:14)

Don't worry, I understand your curiosity (also wanted to know about PTQ through CA97 speakers before I bought it)

Cannot really tell the difference when increasing the depth but I personally could only notice an increased delay in sound (not that the sound would become softer)

I'll post a review on the piano sounds of the CA97 and will include a brief demonstration of the the PTQ-CA97 combo, keep an eye on my YouTube channel