Topic: Latency boost by running at 96000 Hz?

Hi,

I've got the Pianoteq Stage version and so my question is am I getting the latency decrease by setting it to 96000 Hz in the audio preferences? I'm aware that the audio engine is not capable to do 96000 Hz due to the version limitations, so there will be some processor power waste, but what about the latency?

Re: Latency boost by running at 96000 Hz?

Of course you do, that's how changing the sample rate works.

Then again, it's arguably better to just use 44.1k at lower buffer size (like 128 or 64) than to work at 96k. Perhaps it's even a bit more efficient on the CPU too.

Last edited by EvilDragon (14-07-2015 09:33)
Hard work and guts!

But I think I can try to run it at 96000 Hz / 64 samples buffer size ;)

AND btw somebody may want to check this site for the audio cards latency comparison tables: http://dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency2.htm And if someone is lazy to read the whole article here is a site with the free audio card latency test software http://www.oblique-audio.com/free/rtlutility (note that you need to connect the audio input and output of your card directly with a single wire for this test, all the rest is done almost in one click).

Last edited by AKM (14-07-2015 11:29)

It seems to me that Frequency and Buffer size work as a "block".

It seems that there is a level of latency that can't go lower (for a specific soundcard and pc).

You can try to increase the frequency but in my experience, you will need to increase the buffer too.
All in all, you will increase the cpu charge for no significant improvement in the sound, IMO

Last edited by stamkorg (14-07-2015 11:38)

I tested it all some time ago and I got no major problems running any sample rates with 64 samples latency (which is the lowest for the most sound cards, though there are a few card models around that are capable to run at 32 samples buffer size). I sure could not feel the noticeable latency difference while playing the keyboard during that short tests, but maybe I'll be able to feel some difference kind of subconsciously if I'll give it a more extensive try.

Last edited by AKM (14-07-2015 11:47)

I think anything <5 ms latency reported by the driver is perfectly fine for playing the piano. That will result in <12 or so ms round-trip latency, which is absolutely undetectable by human ear. Hell, even actual pianos have more latency than that because of their mechanics!

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Hell, even actual pianos have more latency than that because of their mechanics!

Lol, true.

...but I still kind of suspicious if that Pianoteq sample rate version limitation somehow influence the normal behaviour of latency decrease for sample rate above 48 kHz also?

Last edited by AKM (14-07-2015 11:55)