Topic: Suggestions, hardware pianoteq module and phaser effect

Been using pianoteq stage for a while, and thought i would be cool to have it as a hardware module, a small box to connect to a midi keyboard, for situation when one does not want to be caught up in the computer...

it could have like some hands on controls for effects and settings and perhaps an expression pedal input.

the low system reqirements of pianoteq would probably make this an easy and cost effective thing to make..?

I use it with a acuna 73 weighted midi keyboard which is white so it would be cool if the module was a white box

also i miss a phaser effect!

Re: Suggestions, hardware pianoteq module and phaser effect

Pianoteq does have a phaser effect now (introduced in 5.2.0). Update!

Hard work and guts!

wow cool, didn't notice,  thanks:D

I'd like to see a pianoteq hardware module too, but I don't think the computing requirement is so low...

The module is already exists. It's called laptop.

Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Or something like Mac Mini. And I hate Macs. But damn, you can mount it in 1U rack... times two.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/images/hdr_rackmacmini.jpg

Hard work and guts!

I would highly recommend to invest in a passively cooled system, as to function in as similar a manner to embeded systems as possible. This is quite feasible too, akasa make tiny, passively cooled cases which support CPUs with a TDP (thermal design power) of up to 35W (they *can* handle more, but will be hotter). This will allow you to use up to a T-suffix i7 such as a 4785T which will provide more than ample computational power (though most of its performance is achieved through a variable clockspeed which is concerning for large variations in polyphony, but the base clockspeed is sufficiently high to combat any issues). If anything the T-suffix i7 is too much power if you were merely running it as a module, the i5 variant would be more than sufficient. There also lies the concern of a redundant onboard graphics core (which is pretty powerful) but that will bear utility if you decide to attatch a monitor.

Because pianoteq is so tiny relative to sampled pianos you can use a miniscule msata SSD to run it and little RAM. Its compatibility with linux also makes it useful for these embedded applications given the capacity to utilise a realtime kernel and run headless as well as great control over the buffer with JACK. Having the OS boot into pianoteq standalone in fullscreen without an unnecessary desktop environment running made far easier too.

stuff to look at:
Akasa euler
A soundcard/audio interface which can handle a small buffer and is linux compatible
msata ssd
How to administrate linux and use minimal distros for embedded.

I've been an advocate for a long time that Pianoteq needs to be the built in voice of an instrument.  I think it will need a screen to control the parameters.  I did end up buying the Pianoteq Stage even though I wanted to hold out for an instrument with the same quality built in.  What I didn't know before purchase is that the Pianoteq Stage version is actually much more versatile then I ever imagined.  I think they sort of deliberately downplay its capabilities in order to market the more expensive versions.   There is a tremendous amount of control over the various voices, and it really is the most beautiful sounding instrument I have ever played.  I control mine with a Casio PX-150 and find it perfectly satisfactory  but if I could have it fully my way, I would like the same PX-150 with the Pianoteq on a touchscreen built into the the 25lb. piano, speakers and all.  The Pianoteq sounds so good, you really have to ask yourself why isn't every one else using the same approach to synthesis?   I'm sure Pianoteq is coming in a Casio type instrument sometime soon, but the question is exactly when?  Rather than an add on module, I would prefer the effort be put into a great sounding light weight easily transportable keyboard that has a nice balanced touch with excellent sensitivity.

Last edited by GRB (13-07-2015 17:26)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

Ross wrote:

The module is already exists. It's called laptop.

One problem:  Too many extra wires.

GRB wrote:

What I didn't know before purchase is that the Pianoteq Stage version is actually much more versatile then I ever imagined.  I think they sort of deliberately downplay its capabilities in order to market the more expensive versions.   There is a tremendous amount of control over the various voices, and it really is the most beautiful sounding instrument I have ever played.

One thing is missing from the stage version, which i use all the time: a control for unison width. Imho, detuning it somewhat gives a much more realistic piano sound, like if you were next to a live instrument. The default setting (which you can't change in the stage version) sounds more like a recording of a perfectly tuned-up piano, but kind of lacks this "presence" quality.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

delt wrote:
GRB wrote:

What I didn't know before purchase is that the Pianoteq Stage version is actually much more versatile then I ever imagined.  I think they sort of deliberately downplay its capabilities in order to market the more expensive versions.   There is a tremendous amount of control over the various voices, and it really is the most beautiful sounding instrument I have ever played.

One thing is missing from the stage version, which i use all the time: a control for unison width. Imho, detuning it somewhat gives a much more realistic piano sound, like if you were next to a live instrument. The default setting (which you can't change in the stage version) sounds more like a recording of a perfectly tuned-up piano, but kind of lacks this "presence" quality.

I'll have to look into that.  I just upgraded to Standard, and there's a lot to explore.  Thanks for calling this feature to my attention.  Would you be so kind as to supply me with the number that you use for detuning the unisons?  Do you also apply octave stretch? One of the beauties of Pianoteq is the stellar tuning, but I agree with you that it's not actually realistic as no acoustic piano achieves that level of perfection.

Also I can't find where to lock in the "Note Edit" volume settings.  Do you know how to do that so it would be applied to all voices?

Last edited by GRB (01-08-2015 15:06)