Topic: Sustain Pedal - Inversion - Bug?

Been running v. 5.3.0 and today I've noticed the sustain pedal effect has inverted itself. When the pedal is off, there is sustain, and when it is on there is no sustain.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Ian

Re: Sustain Pedal - Inversion - Bug?

I had such a problem too sometimes with my pedal, a defective MIDI jack connection in the keyboard (wiggling the jack triggered the inversion). Changing the jack connection solved the problem.

EDIT: but maybe you are talking about the harp? This is different then: the pedal is intentionally inverted for all harp presets, except for the "a la piano" and "dreamy" presets. This is because in a harp, the natural state is that all strings can vibrate (there are no dampers). The same was done before for the cimbalom.

Philippe,
thanks for the quick response. The problem is definitely in Pianoteq. I should have added that visually you can see on the GUI that when the pedal is up it is acting as if it was down. I installed the Harp yesterday, and this may be connected to the issue. When switching over to a piano preset, the sustain pedal acts as if it is on one of the Harp presets, therefore, Pianoteq seems to be stuck in harp mode for the sustain pedal.

Also, just out of curiosity, is the diatonic setting meant to be available for the Pianos and other instruments?

Thanks
Ian

Last edited by fulvia (03-07-2015 14:10)

Yes, diatonic setting is meant to be there for all other instruments. I find that pretty cool, myself

As for your issue, you can invert the sustain pedal in MIDI options in Pianoteq... just set min to max and max to min and off you go.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Yes, diatonic setting is meant to be there for all other instruments. I find that pretty cool, myself

As for your issue, you can invert the sustain pedal in MIDI options in Pianoteq... just set min to max and max to min and off you go.

I agree...

That worked reversing those, however, it's disturbing seeing the pedal up when sustaining and vice versa.

fulvia wrote:

Philippe,
thanks for the quick response. The problem is definitely in Pianoteq. I should have added that visually you can see on the GUI that when the pedal is up it is acting as if it was down. I installed the Harp yesterday, and this may be connected to the issue. When switching over to a piano preset, the sustain pedal acts as if it is on one of the Harp presets, therefore, Pianoteq seems to be stuck in harp mode for the sustain pedal.

Maybe you have frozen the velocity curves (which include pedal velocity), hence the inverted pedal when switching from harp to piano.

Philippe,
yes, that was it. Thanks. After changing the curve, it all sorted itself out.

Just one small thing - If  the velocity curve is frozen to the user's own curve setting, it seems to over-ride the Harp presets settings for the sustain pedal. This means that the sustain pedal is always in piano mode if the parameter checkbox is ticked and one's own velocity curves are selected, restricting the user to the preset velocity curve when wishing to use the inverted sustain pedal, (unless setting up a temporary setting of the kind suggested by EvilDragon).

Yes, the question is to freeze or not to freeze

Sorry for the joke, I couldn't resist, I understand what you mean. You do not need to freeze all the velocity curves, you can select those you want to freeze, for example only "Note-on velocity", which is what you may want here.