Topic: Casio PX5S (with Pianoteq) Review

I've owned the Casio Privia PX5S for a few weeks now. Here are my impressions.

Very well built unit. A very nice touch, more 'mature' feeling than the CDP-120. Well integrated with Pianoteq using default curve (medium). Lovely smooth Ebony/Ivory key feel.

Important to level the board for optimum velocity response.

Best board for quality of build I've owned.

Very basic switch type pedal supplied. I use triple pedal and Pnoscan's TUSB unit for continuous pedal control.

I'll try to answer questions,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Re: Casio PX5S (with Pianoteq) Review

Hi Chris!

Though it make me slightly suspicious, I feel very proud for my quite same Casio PX-150. Better then VPC-1? Really?

"Important to level the board for optimum velocity response" - can you please explain the meaning of this sentence, what do you mean by "level"?

As far as I could remember you mentioned earlier that there is some kind of possibility to tune the key return speed some way electronically in PX5S, can you tell more please?

Is there a dynamic "note off" data sent?

Last edited by AKM (26-06-2015 18:40)

AKM wrote:

Hi Chris!

Though it make me slightly suspicious, I feel very proud for my quite same Casio PX-150. Better then VPC-1? Really?

Lots more for less £££'s! Very good action on the PX5S

"Important to level the board for optimum velocity response" - can you please explain the meaning of this sentence, what do you mean by "level"?

I mean making sure the keyboard is not in any way twisted, but lying flat on a level surface. I put paper shims at the lowest corner of my board and at the front middle.

As far as I could remember you mentioned earlier that there is some kind of possibility to tune the key return speed some way electronically in PX5S, can you tell more please?

I think it repeats well on single notes. Even better if board is flat.
I use the velocity pane in Pianoteq to check for evenness of touch.
The best PX5S touch setting for Pianoteq is 'Normal'.

I hope to post some kind of demo sometime soon,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Is there a dynamic "note off" data sent?

P.s. There is note off data, but not very dynamic at all. It does vary in velocity but not much i.e. tends to always be around the same velocity area.

Thank you

I've used PianoTeq with several keyboards and had been gassing for VPC1 for a while until I got the PX5S. It feels like they were made for each other. I don't know if it's better than the VPC1 or not as I have yet to play one, but my desire to want one now is gone. Highly recommend!

Last edited by superskeet (02-07-2015 15:14)

My story is that I got a PX-150 which seems to have the same mechanics as PX5S some time ago just as a backup for my real grand piano. My choice was based on some previous Casio experience and the reviews on the internet. I found out about the Pianoteq existence some time later and absolutely loved the combo so that I actually spend more time playing it then a real thing. I can't say that I don't see the cons here and there but overall result hugely overcome my expectations. I can't try the Pianoteq with the VPC1 where I live but until Chris's review I thought that it is in another league according to the internet reviews and it's price.

Someone mailed me asking what I meant by my statement 'more mature' when referring to the PX5S in contrast to the CDP-120. I thought I'd answer here as others may benefit.

I simply mean it feels more like a grand in terms of solidity i.e. It feels much more 'solid' than it's weight as a keyboard would suggest.

Hope this helps,

More to follow,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

I'd like to heavily recommend and promote Casio digital pianos. I was able to test quite a few more or less entry level keyboards from different manufacturers, though not saying all models and manufacturers but anyway for me Casio was always a clear winner, especially in terms of what you get per buck. I saw that lots of people subconsciously don't trust Casio that much maybe because of their watch or calculators manufacturer image. Such labels as Yamaha, Roland, Korg seems to have more respectful appeal. I saw several times how non-playing people choose Yamahas because they somehow like the sound without their own piano playing experience. To simplify I'd say any time and day that if you slightly on a budget and not so picky - go for Casio CDP-100/120, if you can afford - go for their Privia line (I will always choose the lowest model in the line-up because I don't want to overpay for the features I don't actually need). Privia mechanics has more of that kind of cool "real thing" under your fingers feeling. And yes, I play during all my life. And I'm not saying Casios are ideal - if they hire me or just ask - I sure know what to improve.

Last edited by AKM (03-07-2015 11:25)

This is somewhat off topic, but I do have a PX-150, and have orderd a Dell XPS 13" with an I-5 processor and 4 gigs of RAM - Factory Installed Ubuntu no WinDO$.  Will the Dell be strong enough for the Pianoteq experience?  It's not possible to add additional RAM to the XPS-13 as the RAM is soldered to the board.

Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

GRB wrote:

This is somewhat off topic, but I do have a PX-150, and have orderd a Dell XPS 13" with an I-5 processor and 4 gigs of RAM - Factory Installed Ubuntu no WinDO$.  Will the Dell be strong enough for the Pianoteq experience?  It's not possible to add additional RAM to the XPS-13 as the RAM is soldered to the board.

Yes, that will be more than powerful enough. Unless you use crazy settings like absurdly low latency at ultra high sample rate... and it's also a good thing they saved you the trouble of getting rid of piece of sh.t windows. just install the unix desktop of your choice in ubuntu, grab the linux pianoteq, and you're good to go

Last edited by delt (03-07-2015 18:31)
http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

sigasa wrote:

Someone mailed me asking what I meant by my statement 'more mature' when referring to the PX5S in contrast to the CDP-120. I thought I'd answer here as others may benefit.

I simply mean it feels more like a grand in terms of solidity i.e. It feels much more 'solid' than it's weight as a keyboard would suggest.

Thanks, but this applies to the CDP-130 too.

AKM wrote:

Privia mechanics has more of that kind of cool "real thing" under your fingers feeling.

Is it really the mechanics or just the texture which gives you this feeling?

I'm asking myself if it's worth upgrading from the CDP-130 to the Privia PX-160 if I don't care about the third key sensor, the key texture, the Line Out and the sound? If the answer is definitely NO I wouldn't have to spend time and money to compare them side by side.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (04-07-2015 12:02)
formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Modellingoptimist wrote:
AKM wrote:

Privia mechanics has more of that kind of cool "real thing" under your fingers feeling.

Is it really the mechanics or just the texture which gives you this feeling?

I'm asking myself if it's worth upgrading from the CDP-130 to the Privia PX-160 if I don't care about the third key sensor, the key texture, the Line Out and the sound? If the answer is definitely NO I wouldn't have to spend time and money to compare them side by side.

Thanks a lot!

No, I was not talking about the texture. To be honest I prefer it to be like on the previous generation, and, btw that quite too hard texture is rather far from "real" though it don't spoil the party. And, sorry, you'd better take your time and compare it all by yourself

Last edited by AKM (04-07-2015 12:47)

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.p...entry20690

I think I'll stay with my CDP... At least I won't take long ways just to check this.

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

If Casio comes out with a Casio-Pteq version that is similar to the 130 - 160 intruments, I'll buy it.  I want Pianoteq built into a light weight, speakerrs on board, Casio Piano.

Last edited by GRB (13-07-2015 18:12)

Hi Chris! How is it going with your PX5S? I was curious, since you are a piano tuner, if I'm not mistaken, did you have a look inside it? I found some minor problem with my PX-150 keyboard which annoys me a bit. I mean the, let's call them, the key bottom stoppers made from rubber. Sorry, I don't know the correct name, but on a real grand it is a round fabric washers underneath the keys. Because of the rubber the first problem with them is that the key jumps back especially noticeable when playing extreme pianissimo, which leads to more control from me (and sometimes a doubles happens), and which absolutely does not occur with a real piano. The second issue is a noise because of the rubber material. Is it possible to modify it to put the fabric instead of the rubber, your opinion? My guess is that it is not that impossible. Another thing is do you think it is anyway possible to modify the keys some way to have a bigger fulcrum? This is sure much more difficult I suppose.

AKM wrote:

Hi Chris! How is it going with your PX5S? I was curious, since you are a piano tuner, if I'm not mistaken, did you have a look inside it? I found some minor problem with my PX-150 keyboard which annoys me a bit. I mean the, let's call them, the key bottom stoppers made from rubber. Sorry, I don't know the correct name, but on a real grand it is a round fabric washers underneath the keys. Because of the rubber the first problem with them is that the key jumps back especially noticeable when playing extreme pianissimo, which leads to more control from me (and sometimes a doubles happens), and which absolutely does not occur with a real piano. The second issue is a noise because of the rubber material. Is it possible to modify it to put the fabric instead of the rubber, your opinion? My guess is that it is not that impossible. Another thing is do you think it is anyway possible to modify the keys some way to have a bigger fulcrum? This is sure much more difficult I suppose.

You can smooth out the Casio action with judicious use of food grade silicone grease, available at ACE hardware's plumbing section in the imperialistic USA.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde...Id=1272642

Dear all,

Apologies for absence. I have had the PX5S for a couple of months now and I am very impressed. Admittedly, some things are harder to play on the Casio than on a well regulated piano, but it is an amazing board for the price.

A message to GRB, have you yourself used food grade silicone grease on a Casio action? I'm interested in hearing more on this as you say it smooths out the action. Do you mean that the chromatic runs become more even in velocity consistency? I used plumbers silicone grease on the TP40WOOD action and it worked quite well. Please share your experience.

As I've said a number of times before, it is vital that a keyboard/bed be level. This is the reason piano technicians have to set up piano actions accurately. Note to note velocity is affected by even the slightest twist and therefore lubrication alone is not sufficient for a smooth consistent velocity response. And from experience the affects of a twist in the keybed of a board cannot be perfectly compensated for using software either.

Having said all this, the Casio is very good, albeit not perfect, velocity wise. I may attempt to smooth the action with food grade
silicone grease after further research.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

I don't believe synthetic materials such as rubber or silicon is better than fabric or cloth (how do you call it correctly). Sure I can be wrong but I'll be very surprised to see it on a real pianos some day. ...or maybe they are already?

sigasa wrote:

A message to GRB, have you yourself used food grade silicone grease on a Casio action? I'm interested in hearing more on this as you say it smooths out the action. Do you mean that the chromatic runs become more even in velocity consistency? I used plumbers silicone grease on the TP40WOOD action and it worked quite well. Please share your experience.

As I've said a number of times before, it is vital that a keyboard/bed be level. This is the reason piano technicians have to set up piano actions accurately. Note to note velocity is affected by even the slightest twist and therefore lubrication alone is not sufficient for a smooth consistent velocity response. And from experience the affects of a twist in the keybed of a board cannot be perfectly compensated for using software either.

Having said all this, the Casio is very good, albeit not perfect, velocity wise. I may attempt to smooth the action with food grade
silicone grease after further research.

Chris

The thing about Slicone Grease is that it's not supposed to affect or deteriorate rubber.  I only used it on one key that was "clicking," noisy and not responding completely well.  You can also add a small amount of DAP® DYNAFLEX 230® Premium Indoor/Outdoor Sealant to the bottom of the plastic key hole that operates the steel bar which provides the "balanced action."  I think this is where the "click" originated.  Casio should really put a thin square rubber grommet  in each of those wholes.  Also the felt strip in the back where the steel bars fall back should be made wider and more sturdy.   I think some little slider weights on the back of the steel bars would be good too in terms of regulation.  My best guess is that velocity is more a matter of the sensors under the key and I just don't know if they are truly well made or not.  I think setting up the velocity is very tricky at best.  I have used the "key mode" or "individual note mode" to soften and louden certain notes in the treble.  To be honest, I really don't understand how to actually set up the so called velocity curve on Pianoteq.  It's not very scientific.  I think the idea is to translate the numbers coming from the keyboard to more suitable numbers for the Pianoteq voices.  I notice the factory setting for most voices if not all is completely linear.   I'm not at all sure that any of the submitted velocity curves are correct at all.  For one thing, it appears to me that the way velocity works on these electronic keyboards is that it is a measure the time that passes between two trip points.  To get a soft note you have to push the key very slowly.  On a mechanical piano it's more a matter of how the hammer is flipped up towards the string by the jack, and the speed at which the jack is pulled out.  It's possible that a truly velocity sensitive keyboard needs more than simple sensors under a simplistic key mechanism,  Perhaps they need rubber headed hammers that are actually flipped and then strike the sensors.

I think Roland had an action that is more complicated and more piano like.  The thing that Casio has achieved is a rather good feeling and playable keyboard that is light weight.  You don't want something that is as heavy as an actual piano that is only slightly better.  I had the opportunity to play on a good Baldwin grand the other day, and to be frank, I didn't care for it as much as my Casio teamed with Pianoteq.  I think you have to adjust your playing to these new keyboards and not have the expectation that it will feel exactly like a traditional grand piano.  Also there are two types of spring mechanisms used in conventional grands.

I prefer the feel of the Steinway butterfly spring, but I think there are some Renner actions that are easier to adjust.  Some have a screw that adjusts the spring.  What is pictured is a modern Renner that is a copy of the Steinway style butterfly spring action.   Notice that the traditional action is very complicated, made of wood, felt, has springs, with many adjustments.  It's a very time consuming and tedious process to regulate a tradition grand.

http://www.rennerusa.com/wp-content/upl...-cover.png

Modern mechanical/electronic keyboards are more "assemble it and hope that it works" type of devices.  That's where Pianoteq is very good.  It offers the potential to regulate the feel with the way the voice sounds when you play a given key.  A lot of the "feel" is illusionary.  A key feels right when it sounds right.  You can test this by forcing notes to play too softly through the software.  The keyboard will "feel" terrible, because the notes coming out don't sound right.

Last edited by GRB (08-08-2015 14:24)

AKM wrote:

I don't believe synthetic materials such as rubber or silicon is better than fabric or cloth (how do you call it correctly). Sure I can be wrong but I'll be very surprised to see it on a real pianos some day. ...or maybe they are already?

Traditional pianos need to be lubricated with the proper lubricant in the proper places to work smoothly.  All materials degrade over time.  Traditional pianos use felt, wood, leather, and steel.  They've been around a long time, but aren't always as great a you think they might be.  A great piano requires a great technician.  Steinways require a lot of regulation after they leave the factory and arrive at the store.  The thing about Casio that's pretty good, is that it doesn’t really require much regulation since not much can be done anyway.  Best of all it's very light weight.  The really good thing about the Casio action is there are no springs, and that is not the case with a traditional grand.  You regulate your Casio with the Pianoteq software, which in fact offers a lot of control and variability.  It can be tailored to your particular tastes and playing style.  Casio without Pianoteq added doesn't play at the same level of smoothness or quality of sound.

Last edited by GRB (08-08-2015 14:26)

Dear all,

Just a note on some vey successful settings within pianoteq/cantabile in relation to the PX-5S...

Each and every white notes' Mezzo Hammer Hardness taken down to 67 (note edit).

Velocity curve within Cantabile VST Hosts' Midi Filter set to 'enhance' curve value 0.40

Pianoteq Velocity Curve 0,0; 19,1; 60,64; 126,127;

Enjoy.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

EDIT: For use with the Casio's 'Normal' velocity curve

Last edited by sigasa (30-09-2015 22:56)

Hi Chris,
I definitely notice that the white keys on this Casio line-up is a bit more 'rude' then the black ones, it is noticeable while playing very quiet while looking at the MIDI monitor - they are a bit harder to control. Interesting...

Hi all Casio owners.

Algorithm found which makes playing Pianoteq much smoother in terms of note to note velocity. No need for any physical regulation of the board. I believe it would work for any Casio Privia/Privia Pro. Will post .fxp soon,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

Hi all Casio owners.

Algorithm found which makes playing Pianoteq much smoother in terms of note to note velocity. No need for any physical regulation of the board. I believe it would work for any Casio Privia/Privia Pro. Will post .fxp soon,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

P.s. Requires Pianoteq Pro version for note for note editing.

sigasa wrote:
sigasa wrote:

Hi all Casio owners.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

P.s. Requires Pianoteq Pro version for note for note editing.

I WAS WRONG!!!
APOLOGIES TO ALL.

There had been an improvement, but on further trial it turned out to be far from perfect! Maybe I'll go the 'food grade silicone grease' route suggested by AKM. I know silicone grease is very good as I used it on the pnoscan project.

I'll let y'all know if I do grease up the board. I've already downloaded a service manual!!!

Kindest Regards,

Chris

It was not exactly my idea about silicon, I'm much more for some natural materials ;) Yes, just want to repeat, when playing lightly the keys jumps back like a ball from the floor, sometimes you get doubles because of that effect. It is not a total game breaker, but waist some more attention resources than expected.

Last edited by AKM (13-10-2015 06:02)

I

GRB wrote:
AKM wrote:

You can smooth out the Casio action with judicious use of food grade silicone grease, available at ACE hardware's plumbing section in the imperialistic USA.

Sorry AKM, it was GRB who suggested silicone. I stand corrected.

GRB, have you 'silicone'd' your board and if so, is the velocity smoother on chromatic runs etc.?

Kindest Regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

I

GRB wrote:
AKM wrote:

Sorry GRB, just realised I'd already asked this : /

Sorry AKM, it was GRB who suggested silicone. I stand corrected.

GRB, have you 'silicone'd' your board and if so, is the velocity smoother on chromatic runs etc.?

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Sorry GRB, just realised I've already asked this question

Last edited by sigasa (13-10-2015 08:35)

From original post: "I use triple pedal and Pnoscan's TUSB unit for continuous pedal control." What is this product?

When you refer to silicone grease, you're talking about opening up the keyboard, right?

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

From original post: "I use triple pedal and Pnoscan's TUSB unit for continuous pedal control." What is this product?

When you refer to silicone grease, you're talking about opening up the keyboard, right?

Hi beakybird,

The triple pedal is made by Fatar (Italy). The TUSB unit is part of the PNOscan optical midi strip setup made by QRS (USA).

I had thought of opening up the board. GRB mentions the use of food grade silicone. It is very good.

Hope this helps,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

An update on the PX5S. Still working perfectly. Even more so now. Since experimenting on various ways to level thc keybed globally without opening up the unit, I have found by far the most successful method to date in terms of a copper pipe of 15mm diameter and 1 meter in length wedged under the keybed/board behind the front (three) feet (left/centre/right). Although the copper pipe does not stretch the full length of the keybed, the evenness of velocity response is extremely impressive. However, I shored up the back base of the keyboard with two coasters at each end and then find tuned with card and paper. I'll try and get some pictures sorted out and if possible, a video demonstrating the velocity response. In the mean time don't throw away your Privia/CDP/Privia Pro.

P.s. I shall purchase a stainless steel rod 4ft by 15mm diameter which is the exact length of the keybed (4ft). When I do, I'll report back.

sigasa wrote:

Since experimenting on various ways to level thc keybed globally without opening up the unit, I have found by far the most successful method to date in terms of a copper pipe of 15mm diameter and 1 meter in length wedged under the keybed/board behind the front (three) feet (left/centre/right).

What in the name of all that is holy are you going on about now?

mabry wrote:
sigasa wrote:

Since experimenting on various ways to level thc keybed globally without opening up the unit, I have found by far the most successful method to date in terms of a copper pipe of 15mm diameter and 1 meter in length wedged under the keybed/board behind the front (three) feet (left/centre/right).

What in the name of all that is holy are you going on about now?

Sorry if it seems a little cryptic. I'm not the best at describing things.

EDIT: thank you Mabry, I had the biggest belly laugh for a long time because of your post

Last edited by sigasa (21-03-2016 10:42)

Much difference between the PX5s and PX-160 action? I played a PX5S years ago and I was impressed because there was nothing else like it for the price at the time. But I have not seen them in the shops lately. More recently I've tried the PX-160, 760, 860 out of which the 760 was distinctly inferior (maybe it was a dodgy example??) and the 160 and 860 were very similar. I bought the PX-160.

It's been so long that I don't recall if the PX5S was the same or better. I know the specs are the same (except for key-off velocity) but often the same specs in more expensive models yield a better made product. (It's mostly an academic question, because I would not go out and buy a PX5S now unless I happened to find one cheap on the second hand market.)

3/2 = 5

Hi SteveLy

Exactly the same keybed as far as I can glean. I really don't think it'd be worth your while investing more on a PX5S simply for the keybed. I am certain it is identical to that of the PX160. In fact, at one point in time I actually considered purchasing the gold/white version before settling on the PX5S.

I have yet to purchase the solid stainless steel rod mentioned at the beginning of this thread. However, I'm having great results with the copper pipe even though it's not perfectly straight or solid. As I said, I will report back on the results of the stainless steel reinforcing rod.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (24-03-2016 10:32)

@Sigasa

I'm kind of intrigued about what the use of that metal pipe actually is. I bought my PX-150 with original stand and don't regret it at all. This (semi)wooden stand is a bit more expensive than I'd expect but it is extremely solid and well built AND there is a long metal thing that you need to attach to the bottom of your keyboard actually involved, kind of something similar to what you describe.

AKM wrote:

@Sigasa

I'm kind of intrigued about what the use of that metal pipe actually is. I bought my PX-150 with original stand and don't regret it at all. This (semi)wooden stand is a bit more expensive than I'd expect but it is extremely solid and well built AND there is a long metal thing that you need to attach to the bottom of your keyboard actually involved, kind of something similar to what you describe.

Thank you for your reply AKM. This is extremely interesting to me. I don't have the Casio stand and/or pedals as I never bought them. It's very interesting you say that Casio's bespoke stand utilises a metal rod of some description. Kind of confirms I'm not on another planet! I'll look for some info on the web.

Thanks again AKM

Kindest Regards,

Chris

I don't get what anyone's talking about. How is putting a metal rod under a DP going to make it more playable?

My PX-160 has a metal bar that came with the Casio stand. The metal bar screws into the keyboard and this screws into the stand. I don't see the purpose except to make the keyboard less easy to steal.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

I don't get what anyone's talking about. How is putting a metal rod under a DP going to make it more playable?

It's a very light construction KB, mostly plastic. Therefore it will easily flex or twist (although the PX-160 appears to have some corrugated structure to the base that I presume is supposed to prevent that). The purpose of a metal bar rigidly attached to the KB is to stop any flex. I have not experienced any issues myself with the PX-160 but have seen other KBs have strange problems with the key action that turned out to be due to small flex/twist of the keybed, and easily fixed by extended rigid support.

@sigasa Thanks for the feedback! Re the reinforcing pipe, copper is not so good. It's a relatively soft metal and even if it works well now it may sag in the long run. I'd probably opt for an aluminium frame using L cross-section beams. I've built a portable frame out of such for the guts of a Kawai upright DP. It's still going strong some 15 years on.

Last edited by SteveLy (25-03-2016 04:49)
3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:
beakybird wrote:

It's a very light construction KB, mostly plastic. Therefore it will easily flex or twist (although the PX-160 appears to have some corrugated structure to the base that I presume is supposed to prevent that). The purpose of a metal bar rigidly attached to the KB is to stop any flex. I have not experienced any issues myself with the PX-160 but have seen other KBs have strange problems with the key action that turned out to be due to small flex/twist of the keybed, and easily fixed by extended rigid support.

Thank you SteveLy. I completely agree. I know the importance of rigidity in any piece of engineering. I spent three years of my late teens on a piano tuning, restoration and repair diploma course. I saw the insides of pianos nearly every day there. We learned a little of piano regulation and so I appreciate a well honed piano mechanism. I guess in some ways it ruined me as I became somewhat of a perfectionist. But in other ways perhaps this is good in this case? Actually I started a thread on the importance of action rigidity somewhere on this forum!

I have seen the screw sockets on the underside of the PX5S and had previously presumed that they were related to the bespoke Casio stand in some way.

Good to know I haven't completely lost the plot

sigasa wrote:

I don't have the Casio stand and/or pedals as I never bought them.

Stand and pedals are separate products. While I very much recommend getting a Casio stand I also very much don't recommend getting the pedals bar - it is just bad (even not talking about the price). The pedals are strangely very short and very uncomfortable to any person used to a standard piano pedals. Also the installation and overall construction is very questionable. I bought them and returned back.

The Casio stand for PX-150/160 product name is CS-67PBK (black) or CS-67PWE (white) or simply CS-67. The stand installation manual: http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/CS67PWL1A_web.pdf The rectangular shaped metal rod installation is clearly shown there. The same kind of metal rod construction was used for ages as far as I know even with cheaper Casio CDP models/stands combos.

Again, I have quite some experience with various DP stands including X-shaped ones - they are just terrible btw, no space for the legs, and it actually jumps a lot because the whole stand act like a giant spring, so when you actually play quite actively the music sheets just constantly fall away. The Casio stand is just like a rock, just surprisingly solid. All the screws connections are completely metal, you can assemble/disassemble it as much as you want, that metal rod included, I just really recommend any Privia user to get one, you'll never regret. The price is not that cheap but you'll see that it is for a reason, the build and the construction are very high quality, you can't tell it from the pictures but when you actually get it you'll see that you payed for a real thing.

Last edited by AKM (26-03-2016 14:22)

AKM wrote:

Stand and pedals are separate products. While I very much recommend getting a Casio stand I also very much don't recommend getting the pedals bar - it is just bad (even not talking about the price)

Agreed. The sustain only does a half step between on and off (no continuous/progressive pedalling). Better off with an independent solution (I use a Yamaha FC3 and an Audiofront MIDI Expression interface, but there are loads of other ways to do it).

3/2 = 5

Thank you AKM and SteveLy,

I'll look into purchasing a the white Casio stand.

Thanks again,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

(White) Casio CS-67WE stand arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how well it works. It cost me £59 + postage. In fact there aren't many white ones left as they are discontinued. Pleased I was able to get one. I'll review it when I've got it all set up. Thank you for the recommendations.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

Hi all,

(White) Casio CS-67WE stand arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how well it works. It cost me £59 + postage. In fact there aren't many white ones left as they are discontinued. Pleased I was able to get one. I'll review it when I've got it all set up. Thank you for the recommendations.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Ok. Here goes...

Box arrived yesterday. Bought from Bax-shop (UK).

Upon opening box found stand items to be extremely well and thoughtful packaged with attention to protection of contents.

Upon unwrapping stand components found these to be of excellent quality, very sturdy and solid (as recommended).

Metal rod (square section) very, very strong. Impressed. Screwed tightly to custom slot on underside of keyboard (PX5S).

Easily put together. Once assembled, keyboard was thumbscrewed in place atop stand.

After rearranging my work area/micro studio, placed keyboard/stand assembly in desired position. Floor is a little uneven so placed a card under lowest corner of stand.

First impressions are that this was/is an excellent solution/product/purchase. Upon brief assessment seems that velocity response is much improved. After further testing I'll report back again.

In summary of initial impressions...

Very happy with the stand. White very nice with PX5S. Solidly and very well built and designed. Would recommend on first impressions.

Hope this helps someone,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

A week now with new stand. After compensating for uneven floor with card shims, the velocity response of the keyboard is very even. I am very happy with my purchase. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Congratulations, glad for you Chris!

Thank you Andrei

Hi all,

I have had wonderful results with the Casio/Pianoteq today. After stripping the threads of one of the square-section rod's bolt sockets, I decided to try something. I undid the thumb screws used to attach the keyboard to the stand, took out the rod bolts and moved the rod in the direction of the rear of the board but still butt up to the original rod channel (I'll try and get a picture sorted).
This has resulted in a much tighter fit for the rod once thumb screws are secured in place. This, and keyboard/stand levelling, has resulted in an extremely satisfactory velocity response.

I've also adjusted the Pianoteq velocity curve. I shall post this in the dedicated velocity curve section of the forum shortly.

More to follow,

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (18-04-2016 17:31)