Topic: New with Pianoteq + Macbook air.

Hello to all. Till now, I was only playing on acoustics, but today I introduce as novice to computers and digital piano. Let's know you my problem:
My computers knowledge is almost non-existent. The case is that I have acquired a keyboard Casio Privia PX150 and one portable macbook air of 11 ' with processor i5 and ssd of 128gig. I have started the Pianoteq with standard presets by connecting it to the keyboard with usb cable and I have to say that the truth, I was waiting for a more realistic sound. Connecting the earphones to the computer, the sound that I hear, without being catastrophic, much moves away from the examples that I hear in videos of, for ej. on "Youtube" Will Lassche and so many others. I have not modify anything as I said, and perhaps is a question of modify curves or other things. In that matter, I sincerely prefer the tiny sound of the Casio than to win only "reverb" by computer connection. Can anybody teach me about what wrong may be I am doing? Thanks in advance.

Re: New with Pianoteq + Macbook air.

There are still people out there, who spend lots of money on keyboard, software, computer, but "forget'to buy a decent external audio device, which nearly always provides a much better sound and less latency.

Apart form the fact, that some people report good sound from the onboard Macbook audio, I would definitely advise to use a decent audio unit.

Did you connect the audio output of the macbook to a good amplifier and speaker system or headphones (the latter also via  an external amp...)  ??

geert wrote:

There are still people out there, who spend lots of money on keyboard, software, computer, but "forget'to buy a decent external audio device, which nearly always provides a much better sound and less latency.

Apart form the fact, that some people report good sound from the onboard Macbook audio, I would definitely advise to use a decent audio unit.

Did you connect the audio output of the macbook to a good amplifier and speaker system or headphones (the latter also via  an external amp...)  ??

Hi, geert!
I have purchased the Macbook air (Intel core i5 1,4Ghz, 3MB cache, 128Gb SSD, 4Gb SD ram) with a offer. Before, in the past, I was in prehistoric computers, and needed another one because my last computer was being hot in about 10 min.
Well, I do not have audio unit. I put a cheap (but not very bad headphones to the macbook entry. But with the same headphones I listen an incredible Steinway on Youtube (there is a youtube user, W. Schlasse who plays with Pianoteq and vpc1) and my Casio Privia sounds "tiny", poor, like if the sound is from a synth, an improved cheap sound with some reverb. I have not modify the settings and run with the trial pack. Of sure, if I can resolve the problem, I will buy the stage pack, but I have bought a DP and a laptop to record my performances and to share, also to play without don't disturbing neibourghs, and the results for the moment are deceptioning. I have not installed "Asio drivers", nothing. Only what I said, the computer, the headphones, the Privia 150 and Pianoteq trial version.

Perhaps can be the polyphony? It was setting in 48. Unfortunately, now I can´t test with more, I am far from home.

Perhaps you can record what you hear is awful sound and post it.  At this point, we're just guessing.

Mossy wrote:

Perhaps you can record what you hear is awful sound and post it.  At this point, we're just guessing.

ok. Tell me, please. Can I record any piece with Pianoteq Stage trial? How? Then, I need to upload to where? I can try.

Sure, you can. Use a DAW. Upload to Google Drive or elsewhere. Dropbox, whatever.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Sure, you can. Use a DAW. Upload to Google Drive or elsewhere. Dropbox, whatever.

Anvil Studio and Midi Ox are not available for Mac, do you know one for free?

Hi tosko
Use Garageband in your mac. It is a good DAW. Put in Ptq in it. I am using Mac mini and GB. Creating music on Mac has never been easier and fun.

Pianoteqenthusiast wrote:

Hi tosko
Use Garageband in your mac. It is a good DAW. Put in Ptq in it. I am using Mac mini and GB. Creating music on Mac has never been easier and fun.

Thanks. Mac OS is new for me, I am in trouble also to manage... the MOUSE!! He he. I will try, thanks!

Or, just the standalone pianoteq app (no DAW), it has a basic midi sequencer you can use to record then save either as midi or export to .wav format. You can then convert the .wav to whatever format you want (mp3, ogg....) using other software.

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

delt wrote:

Or, just the standalone pianoteq app (no DAW), it has a basic midi sequencer you can use to record then save either as midi or export to .wav format. You can then convert the .wav to whatever format you want (mp3, ogg....) using other software.

Sorry, but I am too old to this... I can´t see how can I export to my computer the recording. I have recorded with the button of record but can´t find the item to export the recording to the macbook. Are you sure that the trial version has this feature? I am turning mad with the computer! I have some recordings but can't also download to Youtube because is in mp3, and I have 4 hours trying to understand the iMovie program and don´t understand how. I am very new with computers and programs, sorry.

Hi tosko

I have download Garageband, but don´t know how to connect it with Pianoteq. Sorry. I know, I´m a newbie in this.

What I'd do is just open up my smartphone and record 30 seconds while playing. 

Then do the same on a youtube video of Pianoteq that you say sounds really good.

Mossy wrote:

What I'd do is just open up my smartphone and record 30 seconds while playing. 

Then do the same on a youtube video of Pianoteq that you say sounds really good.

Yes, the problem is that I have not monitors! I only can listen pianoteq by the earphones connected to the mini-jack computer port. I need to record pianoteq with my keyboard and convert the sound to a file (mp3/wav), and I think is impossible with trial version. Also some notes are disabled in trial mode, I have recorded an short piece of Bach which doesn't has disabled notes on Pianoteq, but when I close Pianoteq and open the record has been deleted and it is the demo song. What a nightmare... Also, do you know witch more important differences are between Stage version and Standard one?

delt wrote:

The "standalone" is not available with trial version (I think). Can tell me any user if it is possible to record in any way with trial version? And, also, my Privia can not configure the velocity curves. When I press the configuration mode, I play soft and the configurator doesn't changes to medium pressure setting, the velocity curve is going only flat.

Hi tosko
Dont give up. I have the trial, stage and standard in my Garageband. Try to download Ptq, open, click install, and Ptq goes automatic to Garageband. Then record(when you first find it in GB. I have done it and it works for me, although it got sometime för me to understand it, I am old).
I have recorded with trial. Good luck!

Hi, Pianotecenthusiast. Then, I delete PT and download another time and it will be in to GB? How can I found Pianoteq on Garageband? Thanks for your patient.

Hi
How to find Ptq in GB? This is difficult, my language is swedish and GB is in swedish(dont know all words in english), but i try my best. If it dont work, maybe someone else can tell better.
Open GB, up in corner choose file(archiv?),  new, empty project, create, to the left side choose user channel/pianos and keyboards/pianoteq,  up to left click smart controls, downside click i (left of word Master), then plug-in, then blue one-au instruments-Modartt-Pianoteq-stereo.  - This is how I found it. You dont have to go this long way every time.   Sorry if my translate is not correct. Hope it help.

I don't found Pianoteq on GB. Only Keyboards (the gb steinway sound...), Amplificators, Micro, Tone... I have deleted Pianoteq free Standard trial and downloaded new, but nothing changes. I make a pic.http://i60.tinypic.com/24w4p5s.jpg

Last edited by tosko (26-06-2015 18:17)

HI
You have to start from "new project"  (projecta). Try.

HI
You have to start from "new project"  (projecta). Try.

Looks strange, no pianoteq is being in the GB. I have tried to restart, but in the setting you say I found not PT.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2jxsfc.jpg

Hi
From this picture, choose create, and then start doing from the list I gave you above. It will work.

Hi
From this picture, choose create, and then start doing from the list I gave you above. It will work.

Yes, I do, but I don´t find PT. I´m sorry, this seems like a living chat, I wouldn´t like to disturb you.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2qtlf1x.jpg

Bravo! Now you are in the right place. Click on the smart control upside to right on ?. Look at my list. Sure you have installed ptq?

Bravo! Now you are in the right place. Click on the smart control upside to right on ?. Look at my list. Sure you have installed ptq?

My Pianoteq is installed on macbook and I have a desk icon to start it. I read your list, but when I am at this point I have not idea what to do.

Can only say this: click smart control button, i-button(blue), plugin-button(blue),blue arrow, au, Mozart, ptq.  then it is ready for play.

OK!!!
I HAVE FOUND IT. The problem is that I have disabled the "smart button", now, it runs. I have no words to thank your dedication to me. I always have a good thinking about Swedish. I´ve been in Stockholm, Uppsala... nice country and nice people. Thank you very much, sir.http://i57.tinypic.com/2rqeszc.jpg

Last edited by tosko (26-06-2015 22:24)

Oh, thank you so much. I am so glad  that I could help.

Oh, thank you so much. I am so glad  that I could help.

You have a room in Barcelona wherever you want. You can visit my Youtube Channel if you like, I have some old recordings.

Thank you. It is a pure pleasure to be able to help.