Topic: Save Preset with Pedal Down

I've created a preset in which I would like to have one of the pedals permanently engaged (let's say the lute pedal for example). Though you can click on a pedal to engage it, these permanent pedals are not saved as part of the preset. Is it possible to do this somehow?

This has caused a problem I can't find an easy solution to- I have a midi file which needs to be recorded as a wave file using this preset with a permanent pedal engauged. The problem is when I load the midi file and then engage the pedal, the pedal automatically disengages when I play it back or export as a wave file.

Any simple solution to this (I know I could record it live, but I'd prefer not to have to do this)?

Re: Save Preset with Pedal Down

I don't think that's possible, no.

Hard work and guts!

Thanks for the reply-

In that case I'd love to see this implemented in Pianoteq - pedals permanently down included in saved presets.

NathanShirley wrote:

This has caused a problem I can't find an easy solution to- I have a midi file which needs to be recorded as a wave file using this preset with a permanent pedal engauged. The problem is when I load the midi file and then engage the pedal, the pedal automatically disengages when I play it back or export as a wave file.

Any simple solution to this (I know I could record it live, but I'd prefer not to have to do this)?

Well, you could open that MIDI file in a DAW and add a CC message that presses the necessary pedal before any notes are actually played. That'd work.

Hard work and guts!

You can also edit the sustain pedal velocity curve of your preset, setting it to a constant 127 value

He's talking about lute pedal, though...

Hard work and guts!

Thanks for the responses.

Yes I ended up editing the midi and adding in an 'on' command for the pedal I needed, which worked fine, though I would love the ability to save certain pedals, permanently down, to presets in the future.

The realism of the instruments Pianoteq has modeled is generally amazingly impressive. But I also see such a huge potential in creating brand new instruments... not necessarily aiming at realism. So many synthesizers seem to either be very lacking in many ways, or just ridiculously convoluted - geared towards the days of physical patch cables and the like. Pianoteq seems to be coming at it from a very musical perspective; harmonics, string length, strike position, etc... so much more satisfying and intuitive to work with.

My purpose for trying to get a pedal to be permanently down was part of my experimenting with making new, unreal instruments. I am a classical composer, writing for acoustic instruments, but have always wanted to break into the world of synthesizers. Using a heavily modified harpsichord, I've composed my first piece specifically for Pianoteq, and thanks to getting that pedal to stay down, you can see what you think here-

Thanks again,

https://youtu.be/hcHZkIFbmS8

That sounds very nice!

By the way, I don't think it's a good idea to save the pedal state with the preset... it could potentially produce a lot of issues when switching presets etc. So I would definitely either edit MIDI, or assign the pedal's CC number to a button on your MIDI controller (if it has assignable buttons), then use that button instead of an actual pedal to control it.

Hard work and guts!

Thanks,

I suppose I have a lot to learn when it comes to MIDI...

I'm also experimenting with an expression pedal in Pianoteq- seems like plenty of potential, but I'll likely have some questions about that too.

Thanks again,