Topic: Daniel Barenboim's new piano

Hello Modartt team, could this be an idea?

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32885683

Re: Daniel Barenboim's new piano

"Horizontal soundboard veins"? I guess that means that the grain of the soundboard runs left to right instead of from front to back. More impedance on any given note?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (26-05-2015 22:48)

A advancement??

Pianos had straight strings 130 years ago or so, and the crossed string design was a inovation that ended the era of straight strings.
He is more like get back in time than making a advancement.

Anyway... wharever it ends, if the sound get better, or at least somewhat new (good and with a very distint personality), maybe can became a interesting new instrument.

Maybe some of you are thinking if Modartt coud create a adjustable bass angle for string, to modulate from crossed toparalell string.

Who knows... Maybe Philippe coud once again broke the laws of physics for a good case, like putting longer strings (like from crossed string size) in the reduced space of  straigh strings configuration, getting the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-05-2015 00:13)

A wood pice with left to right veins would be quite limited in size, as it's related to the tree diameter.

And it's not the only problem, sas the tee have diferences from the center diameter to the periferic portions. I remamber about wood cut for actual piano, and each parte (center , periferic etc...) was for a part of piano, soundboard, case, bridges...

He, Daniel Barenboim, also use a double bridge.

Jake Johnson wrote:

"Horizontal soundboard veins"? I guess that means that the grain of the soundboard runs left to right instead of from front to back. More impedance on any given note?

Last edited by Beto-Music (28-05-2015 00:10)

There is a thread (3 pages, so far) about this piano in the technical forum on the PianoWorld site:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre...746/1.html

Last edited by Jake Johnson (31-05-2015 20:16)

Years ago I got to play an old wooden-framed straight strung grand (Broadwood I think) that was in good playing condition.  It lacked the horsepower of a modern iron-framed beastie, but I did notice how clear and delicate the bass and mid sounded.  The Barenboim is definitely one to watch.