Topic: Kawai VPC-1 and Pianoteq

I'm interested in buying a Kawai VPC-1, but have no way of locally trying one out.  Therefore, for those of you using Pianoteq with the VPC-1, I have a few questions:

1. Do you use the VPC-1's built-in velocity curve for Pianoteq, or do you leave the built-in curve on "default" and use a velocity curve in Pianoteq? Or do you use something in-between?

2. I have been told (on another forum) that the velocity curve in Pianoteq can be set simply by "playing", and that this will set the curve to my personal touch.  I have Pianoteq 5 Stage and (AFAIK) I need to run the calibration routine in order to set a velocity curve.  Am I missing something or is the info from the other forum incorrect?

3. Could I expect latency between the VPC-1 and Pianoteq to be the same as the (unnoticeable) latency I now get with my Yamaha DGX640 and Pianoteq? (Assuming the use of the same laptop computer, of course).

4. Related to #3 above.....do you use the ASIO4ALL driver for use with Pianoteq, or something else? (ASIO4ALL works great in my present set-up).

Thanks!

Re: Kawai VPC-1 and Pianoteq

The situation with curves is that if the curve is changed in Pianoteq it has priority over the curve Kawai VPC1. If the curve is not set in Pianoteq - working curve Kawai VPC1. I play on the curve "Pianoteq" in Kawai VPC1. According to various reviews on the forums, this curve is closest to the piano.
I use a sound card Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. There are no delays .
You can safely buy Kawai VPC1. With Pianoteq fantastic result ....
I'd never thought much about the sensitivity curves . While Kawai VPC1 can create many custom curves be needed in this. Because everything is well on the factory settings .

Last edited by Mr.st.andy (24-05-2015 06:28)
Kawai VPC1|Pianoteq Standard|Focusrite Scarlett 18i8|KRK ROKIT RP103 G4

Mr.st.andy wrote:

The situation with curves is that if the curve is changed in Pianoteq it has priority over the curve Kawai VPC1. If the curve is not set in Pianoteq - working curve Kawai VPC1.

Sorry, but this part is just wrong (maybe a problem in the translation...): The curve set in the VPC-1 changes the midi velocity values sent by the instrument, so changing that curve will always affect the values seen by Pianoteq. The curves set in Pianoteq are then applied to the midi values received, so in fact both curves have an effect on the outcome. If you do not want to bother creating an individual curve in Pianoteq, you might find setting the VPC-1 to the built-in curve for Pianoteq preferable (I personally didn't). Oh, and just in case: in order for the VPC-1 to retain changes to its internal settings, it has to be switched off with its power button once after making the changes. If you use a switchable power strip, be sure to not switch that off first when you've changed the VPC-1's setup or it may lose the changes and you will be wondering why things don't work as expected the next time.

One other thing to note, though, is that the note-off velocity curve in Pianoteq should probably be adjusted: for one, Pianoteq can handle note-off values to 127, but the VPC-1 only delivers values up to 100. More importantly (depending on what and how you play), Pianoteq (at least this is still the case with the Linux 5.2.1 version) does not actually interpret very small note-off velocities as a "note-off" (on the VPC-1, it is possible to reproducibly release a key slow enough to get a note-off velocity of 1, which you can verify in the MIDI monitor under Options>MIDI), so the lower end of the note-off velocity curve should be moved up to correct this behavior.

On your second question, newbert, you are right that the curve will not change from normal playing (that would be quite a nuisance, too - luckily the information from the other forum is incorrect). Can't offer much on questions 3 or 4, except to at least confirm that using a Midi connection, I noticed no perceivable difference in latency between the VPC-1 and an older Yamaha keyboard.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Priority curves checked very easily : in Kawai exhibited a light level of the game , and Pianoteq - a heavy level of the game . And once it becomes clear what curve works ...
I do not pretend to be the most correct opinion on this issue . But in practice, it turns out . I would be very happy if a expert Pianoteq said in fact it works. Some write that the two curves are running simultaneously. I do not understand how can operate simultaneously light and heavy level of the game ?

Last edited by Mr.st.andy (24-05-2015 10:49)

The curves are "added"so to say.

I myself use the "Pianoteq"curve of the VPC1.   In some cases, when I still feel the attack is somewhat to aggresive for my playingstyle, I just add some additional curve in Pianoteq.

So you simply have a coarse and fine adjustment at hand by using them both......very convenient.

THe VPC1 works fine.  its Midi really does not give any latency or whatsoever.

THe latter is only a matter of what audio device you use, and the driver and its settings.

There is only one problem with the VPC1, and that is its very cheap solution for the continuous damper controller, where an ordinary carbon potetiometer is used.

But: there is a very nice article on the internet about modifying it with the use of a Hall-effect transistor and small magnet.

Greetings,

Geert

geert wrote:

.....There is only one problem with the VPC1, and that is its very cheap solution for the continuous damper controller, where an ordinary carbon potetiometer is used.

But: there is a very nice article on the internet about modifying it with the use of a Hall-effect transistor and small magnet.

Greetings,

Geert

Could another solution be using a Yamaha FC-4 pedal instead?  I'm not sure if it supports half-pedaling though.  I already have one of these units so thought that I'd ask.

Thanks.

Bert

I thought I had replied to this earlier, in fact I am SURE that I did.

Anyway;
Rachel Jimenez posted in her blog around the third week of March that she had just acquired this combination, was enjoying it and expected to write an article.

I am still using a KX-88 that is still connected to VERY OLD HARDWARE rack SGUs, so although I have PTQ I don't bother to haul the laptop over to the keyboard to hook everything up just to play for a few minutes (hours). 
The rig is always on in a similar manner to a DP.
I use PTQ as my piano midi juke box.  It is nice to have a variety of pianos for different musical moods.
My playing doesn't warrant the finer points of PTQ, or an elaborate sample library.

I am not yet convinced that a VPC-1 would be an upgrade to my KX-88, but maybe part of that is because I am used to it and ANYTHING different would be ...different, though not necessarily "better".

Just because the original footcontroller of the VPC1 has two separate jackplugs, one for the continuous controller pedal ( the one on the fr rhight), and another jackplug for the two remaining pedals, you can simply switch to another brand.

I use the Roland DP-10, which can be used with or without continuous control.

Greetings,

Geert

geert wrote:

Just because the original footcontroller of the VPC1 has two separate jackplugs, one for the continuous controller pedal ( the one on the fr rhight), and another jackplug for the two remaining pedals, you can simply switch to another brand.

I use the Roland DP-10, which can be used with or without continuous control.

Greetings,

Geert

Thanks, Geert!

Bert

About the pedal wrote that it can only work in tandem with 2 sockets . If you include only 1 sustain pedal , it will not work. Who uses alternative pedal tell whether this really is.

Nonsens!

Both the mid and left pedals, which actually are only switches, are combined in a "stereo"jackplug; the one that you find on your headphones.

THe right pedal, which has a potmeter of 20 kilo-Ohm, is connected to a standard "mono" jackplug.

you can plug either of them in or not, or connect another device instead of the standard pedalunit, and it works all the time.

There is absolutely no magic in the way these pedal inputs are scanned by the VPC1 software.

Greetings,

Geert

How can I correct transfer curve "Pianoteq" from Kawai himself in Pianoteq?

print a screendump of the curve, and do some sketching on the curve input in Pianoteq.........