Topic: The "multicore rendering" decreases the quality of the piano?

Hello friends!

I am interested in whether to use the "multicore rendering" sound quality, timbre, suffers modifications, or is affected in some way.

Already, thank you.

Re: The "multicore rendering" decreases the quality of the piano?

No, it doesn't change the sound in any way. It helps reducing the CPU usage by utilizing all cores of your CPU, which leads to higher available polyphony, usually.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

No, it doesn't change the sound in any way. It helps reducing the CPU usage by utilizing all cores of your CPU, which leads to higher available polyphony, usually.

Thank you, Pianoteq partner! Your answer is exactly what I needed.

EvilDragon wrote:

Count me among the unusual. I always assumed it would improve performance, but just now after experiencing some glitching during high poly loads even after restarting Pianoteq (on a recently rebooted iMac), I opened the Perf window, set poly to 256 (after noting with surprise that my default setting, Auto (Optimistic), wasn't getting me above ~40), played furiously with all fingers and the pedal down, and watched the Audio Load keep going red, audibly glitching and finally turning audio off around 100 voices. This was kind of shocking to me because I have a powerful 4 GHz Core i7 iMac (16 Gb RAM). But then I noticed Pianoteq's popup caution that multicore rendering "may not be compatible with all hosts." I disabled it, and now no matter how furiously I bang, I overload only very transiently (minimal audible glitching) at 200+ voices with the buffer at 128. With the buffer all the way down to 64, the transient and inaudible overloading starts ~120+ voices.

This discovery is sure to make a lifechanging MIDI/audio program even more lifechanging for me. Vive Pianoteq.

Syd

UPDATE: Well, this is embarrassing. While banging away, the audio cut off, despite no indication of an overload. Curious to reproduce the old problem, I set polyphony back to "Auto (Optimistic)." If anything, my polyphony performance improved – ~100+ @ 64 samples with nary a red line and no audible glitches. So I reenabled multicore rendering as well. The same with 250+ polyphony. Colour me confused.

Last edited by S_G_B (18-09-2016 22:23)