Topic: 2 instances of the program set for different controllers

Hi there!

I wonder if there's any way to create 2 instances of PTQ (say using 2 icons on the desktop). One of the instances is set to outputs 1 and 2 (one piano), the second instance is set to output 3 and 4 (another piano).. ?

Thanks!

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

Re: 2 instances of the program set for different controllers

I'd recommend to do that kind of stuff inside a DAW, really.

Hard work and guts!

Hi and thanks for responding, but I really cannot see the advantage of doing it on a DAW.

When I launch PTQ on my computer I just have to select either outputs 1+2 or 3+4 depending on what controller I'm going to use. So, I think doing it in a DAW won't make it easier.

It only can be easier if just by clicking on an icon or another the outputs would be different, as desired.

Maybe I missunderstood your idea..

Cheers!

So, what's the actual problem in opening Pianoteq in standalone and changing the outputs as you want them? It's easy enough to do, really, all it takes is a few clicks...

Last edited by EvilDragon (19-05-2015 13:18)
Hard work and guts!

The thing is that i sometimes access the programme directly from the touch screen set above one of the controllers, so when willing to play with it i have to change the outputs to its speakers and it could be easier if the programme opened directly with those outputs already selected.

I know in a normal case it's not such a hassle to change them manually

Hello,

as a more or less easy workaround it should be possible to write a simple batch script to switch config files.
There should be a Pianoteq.prefs file which is in XML structure. I guess that contains your settings in focus as well.
Open pianoteq, change the settings as you desire then close Pianoteq, rename the file into *.prefs.A. Reopen Pianoteq, apply the other set of settings and copy that resulting *prefs file to *prefs.B.

Then create a simple batch script like:
    copy -f <path_to_pianoteq>\Pianoteq.prefs.A <path_to_pianoteq>\Pianoteq.prefs
    <path_to_Pianoteq>\Pianoteq.exe
Put an icon on your desktop which starts that batch file and call it something with PianoteqA.

Do the same for the *.prefs.B file and you should be fine.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

Thanks a lot, that's eactly what I needed. I'm not very familiar with programming so I'll try the script you wrote above when I'm back home, I'll let you know.

Regards

There is also a "--prefs FILENAME" command-line option that can be used to load a different config file.

julien wrote:

There is also a "--prefs FILENAME" command-line option that can be used to load a different config file.

Hi Julien,

Thanks for the hint, now I'm trying to carry out what you both suggested but I don't seem able to find any config or prefs file on the PTQ folder..

Would you mind giving me some instructions on how to proceed (if it's not a lot of work for you of course)?

Thanks in advance!

Copy c:/Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Modartt/Pianoteq52.prefs to Pianoteq52-other.prefs

and make a shortcut on your desktop for

"c:/Program Files/Modartt/Pianoteq 5/Pianoteq 5.exe" --prefs  c:/Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Modartt/Pianoteq52-other.prefs

julien wrote:

and make a shortcut on your desktop for

"c:/Program Files/Modartt/Pianoteq 5/Pianoteq 5.exe" --prefs  c:/Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Modartt/Pianoteq52-other.prefs

Hi Julien,

I very much appreciate your help but still not able to finish the job alone.. I've copied the prefs file (with another name) in the same folder you told before.

Now, I created a second shortcut to the PTQ on the desktop but cannot figure out how to assign the new created pref file to this shortcut

Any help please?

Evil Dragon was right, of course.......overlooking all that has been said here, the trouble to get it right, and knowing what a wealth of possibilities you have right under your fingertips using Reaper for instance.......

Using Reaper I can have separate settings for headphones or speakers, different outputs going to different speakers allwith their dedicated tonecontrols, AND, use more then one instance of Pianoteq, all at the same time.  Etc, etc.......

And all So easy to handle!

Greetings,

Geert

geert wrote:

Evil Dragon was right, of course.......overlooking all that has been said here, the trouble to get it right, and knowing what a wealth of possibilities you have right under your fingertips using Reaper for instance.......

Using Reaper I can have separate settings for headphones or speakers, different outputs going to different speakers allwith their dedicated tonecontrols, AND, use more then one instance of Pianoteq, all at the same time.  Etc, etc.......

Hi Geert,

Thanks for your comment. I may have expressed it wrong, but neither you nor Evildragon offered me the desired solution.

1- I don't have reaper (which I assume it must be a great DAW)

2- I don't want to install and open extra stuff for something as simple as changing outputs on PTQ itself (got 4 outputs 2+2). Doing it on a DAW will be the same number of clicks, or more yet.

3- The solution Julien offered is the right one for me since I only want to save different setting on different shortcuts, thus, click and play.

4- Just to put you in my shoes, I've got 2 controllers (pianos) each with its own speaker system which I hear PTQ through plus a screen and a mouse to change patches. What I'm looking forward is to click on a shortcut when I'm sitting on my piano and to have the correct outputs on PTQ selected (wither outputs 1+2 or 3+4 depending on where I'm sitting).

If I get Julien's solution to work, it'll be just amazing, simple and clean, no DAW's or stuff like that.

I know it might sound silly to some people but it's IMO the best way to achieve it, as long as it doesn't take much effort and research (for now it looks quite easy, only if I weren't an IT noob).

EDIT: I Finally managed to create a second shortcut with access to the second prefs file as per Julien's instructions. Solved and so happy!

Regards!
David

Last edited by davidizquierdo82 (20-05-2015 23:45)

Does anyone know why does the second instance keep asking me for activation every time I launch it? After I enter the code it tells me to check for file permission issues regarding the prefs file (the new created/copied one)..

SOLVED: Run as administrator (otherwise it won't register the second PREF file properly)

Last edited by davidizquierdo82 (23-05-2015 20:15)