Topic: Best MIDI-to-USB interface for Pianoteq

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, just not able to find an exact match.

I have a Grantouch with a DKC500RW diskclavier (only MIDI ports, no USB).  My MIDI-to-USB interface is a 10 year old Roland UM-X1, with drivers barely supported on OSX Mavericks.  What is the lowest latency (best) MIDI-to-USB interface out there?

I could upgrade to the DKC-850 diskclavier with USB out, but I understand that the Extra Precision (XP) MIDI data is not supported by that module (!).

Thanks!

Re: Best MIDI-to-USB interface for Pianoteq

Can't say if it is the best, but I use a Roland Duo-Capture Ex (http://www.roland.com/products/duo-capture_ex/) with my 2013 MacPro under Mavericks. I have an older MIDI only Yamaha keyboard and this interface works flawlessly at 24 bits / 48 kHz giving me a very low latency of 64 samples (1.3 ms) for pianoteq. The driver works perfectly with OSX 10.9.5. Of course latency also depends on available cpu power...

Hope this helps!

Gilles wrote:

Can't say if it is the best, but I use a Roland Duo-Capture Ex (http://www.roland.com/products/duo-capture_ex/) with my 2013 MacPro under Mavericks. I have an older MIDI only Yamaha keyboard and this interface works flawlessly at 24 bits / 48 kHz giving me a very low latency of 64 samples (1.3 ms) for pianoteq. The driver works perfectly with OSX 10.9.5. Of course latency also depends on available cpu power...

Hope this helps!

Thanks! Appreciate this;may solve some other issues as well.

I use the Roland UM880. It still has drivers for all versions OS.

But let's be honest: LATENCY on Midi??  Very rare. Because it is actually such a slow interface protocol (  31,25 kbit/s) that even the slowest equipment can follow. A delay because of bad hardware or driver is nearly impossible.

The latency that counts most, is, of course,  in the audio interface and ASIO driver.

Nevertheless, when using full multitembrality, the Midi protocol can lead to delays, but that is not the case when using only one midi channel as in playing the virtual piano.

Lowest latency over USB is RME, I have a Fireface and can get down to 16 samples for non demanding plugins, I run most comfortably with no glitching at 64 including Pianoteq (at 96khz).

Last edited by MUZE (11-05-2015 19:55)

My experience with third party products offered in the Apple store have been very good. I don't think Apple would permit their name being associated with stuff not performing well with theirs. In so far I consider those as recommendation. The exception proves the rule: Microsoft Office .

formerly known as Notyetconvinced