Topic: So what's the best Linux distro for Pianoteq 5?

Tired of Windows problems I'd like to try Pianoteq 5 on Linux.

Who can tell me what's the best Linux distro for Pianoteq 5 and HOW to install it ?

Thanks!

Re: So what's the best Linux distro for Pianoteq 5?

Any distro is OK, to install just unpack and run the executable. But if you want to use another mainstream music software, DAWs and VSTs I highly recommend you use Windows (or Mac). I personally firstly used Pianoteq on Arch, it's works fine, but when I tried DAWs available for Linux, I was very disappointed. Also almost all available VSTs are poor quality and unusable.

Linux is great in theory: good built-in drivers (low latency), jack, low requirements of PC's resources, etc. But in reality all these features doesn't matter because almost nobody from mainstream sound software developers make software for Linux. All we have is poor-quality open software made for free by enthusiasts.

That's my IMHO based on my personal experience.

Last edited by Ross (08-05-2015 07:19)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

SteveKK wrote:

Who can tell me what's the best Linux distro for Pianoteq 5 and HOW to install it ?

Thanks!

Tango Studio is for me the more stable and easy distribution. It works perfectly. KX Studio is beautiful but a little less easy IMO. Most of the distros share the same applications, but the graphical environment differs.
I agree with Ross about the VSTs, and all the third party software...

But, if what you want is a dedicated pc just to play Pianoteq and record it, Linux works like a Swiss watch. And Ardour (included in the distribution) is a top of the line DAW for recording.

If you want to do more complex projects with other instruments... then go with windows or Mac.

Don't forget that the Linux world is a little special, you will need a little time to learn somethings. But if you just want to play, you can be ready 10 minutes after the installation of the distribution.

Last edited by stamkorg (08-05-2015 08:01)

stamkorg wrote:
SteveKK wrote:

Thanks!

Tango Studio is for me the more stable and easy distribution. It works perfectly. KX Studio is beautiful but a little less easy IMO. Most of the distros share the same applications, but the graphical environment differs.
I agree with Ross about the VSTs, and all the third party software...

But, if what you want is a dedicated pc just to play Pianoteq and record it, Linux works like a Swiss watch. And Ardour (included in the distribution) is a top of the line DAW for recording.

If you want to do more complex projects with other instruments... then go with windows or Mac.

Don't forget that the Linux world is a little special, you will need a little time to learn somethings. But if you just want to play, you can be ready 10 minutes after the installation of the distribution.

Actually I am developing an hardware state-of -the art version of Pianoteq.

FATAR keyboards (yes, a two manuals keyboard) supporting all the Pianoteq features with FOUR pedals
and a fanless computer with Linux.

So I need to know what distro is the SMALLEST RELIABLE with a REAL TIME KERNEL.

Thank you again guys!

Last edited by SteveKK (08-05-2015 14:18)

SteveKK wrote:

For the smallest I don't know, but for real time kernel, go for Tango Studio, since KX Studio and Ubuntu Studio don't have a real time kernel but a Low latency one.

Now, if you just want to use Pianoteq and don't need all the other extras, you should find a way to begin with a very light distro, Lubuntu for example, and then install a real time kernel and jack on it.
But that is out of my competence.

stamkorg wrote:
SteveKK wrote:

For the smallest I don't know, but for real time kernel, go for Tango Studio, since KX Studio and Ubuntu Studio don't have a real time kernel but a Low latency one.

Now, if you just want to use Pianoteq and don't need all the other extras, you should find a way to begin with a very light distro, Lubuntu for example, and then install a real time kernel and jack on it.
But that is out of my competence.

Thank You stamkorg

Can you help me in installation on Linux Tango Studio since on Puppy Studio 4 Pianoteq 5 won't start?

Thank You again

You have to download the good 2.2 iso file here (i386 or amd64, it depends on your system), probabaly the 64bits version with a recent pc:

http://tangostudio.tuxfamily.org/fr/pla...dio-update

You burn the iso file on a cd, and you run your pc with the cd inside. The pc must start on the cd.

You can try the distro before install if you choose the option "Live (realtime)" or something like this...
This way the distro is not installed but runs from the cd.
If all is ok and works fine, you are ok.
If you decide to install, choose "Graphical install", and the process will be easy.
You will be asked to choose the computer's name, the user's name, the passwords...

Keep us informed if you have problems

Ok, just back from field-testing Tango Studio... honestly i didn't find the realtime kernel to make much difference compared to lowlatency with pianoteq. But the lowlatency kernel (as used in ubuntu studio, etc) has the huge advantage of being in the mainstream kernel source tree. That means when a new kernel is available, a new lowlatency kernel is available - which might or might not be so important for your usage.

Anyway, after a few hours testing out Tango Studio, i've found no compelling reason to switch from Ubuntu Studio. Several months/years ago, i gave KX Studio a quick go, but wasn't convinced -- other than the guitar effects, which i have in actual hardware and in all honesty are much better than the - still quite decent -  software versions... except mine include a few outstanding mods from kingpin experts in analog electornics (at the time i was using slackware on the desktop machine) ...maybe i should test KX again...what do you think?

Last edited by delt (19-06-2015 00:43)
http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

stamkorg wrote:

Keep us informed if you have problems

On UBUNTU STUDIO all works fine without doing anything else.

But it's just THE ONLY ONE Linux distrubution that works EXACTLY LIKE WINDOWS.

Now I need someone that explains me how to "install" the -rt kernel on UBUNTU STUDIO ...

The lowlatency kernel is almost as good for realtime application as the -rt kernel, and is generally more stable. Anyway, these pages might help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt...TimeKernel

http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2012/03/real-...buntu.html

Last edited by delt (26-06-2015 01:45)

So ...

Installing Linux-Realtime in Ubuntu

Linux-Realtime can be installed on both 12.04 and older versions of the Ubuntu distribution.

For Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) you can directly add the PPA from the following command.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:abogani/realtime

For Ubuntu 11.10 or older you need to edit the sources.list file to add the repositories manually.

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Then append the following lines at the end of the file

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/abogani/realtime/ubuntu precise main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/abogani/realtime/ubuntu precise main

Save the file and update the apt repositories

$ sudo apt-get update

You are now ready to install the Linux-Realtime on your Ubuntu system

$ sudo apt-get install linux-realtime

(Last two steps are also valid for PPA method in Ubuntu 12.04)

This will update the Linux kernel to the version 3.2 with realtime version. With the Previous version of your linux kernel intact which you can choose from the grub boot menu at the boot time.

Note: Booting into Real-time Linux is not recommended for day to day work on Ubuntu as the performance with Real-time Linux is slightly slow and sluggish with normal desktop environments (such as gnome, unity etc) and apps than with the normal kernel OS.

SteveKK wrote:

That's quite a statement. I sure hope, for Ubuntu users, that isn't true.

;-)

m.tarenskeen wrote:
SteveKK wrote:

;-)

I mean about operativity.
Ubuntu Studio performance has no comparison with any MS Windows Os.
On the same computer (the first Atom on the market ) with Win 7 Pianoteq 5 just doesn't run but with Ubuntu Studio 15.04 it runs fantastic ( poliphony apart )

SteveKK wrote:
m.tarenskeen wrote:
SteveKK wrote:

;-)

I mean about operativity.
)

So did I. I never tried Ubuntu. I suppose it's OK since many people are happy with it.
But when I made my choice between Linux distributions I tried to keep far away from distributions that tried too hard to make it easier for Windows users to switch to Linux. "Just like Windows" is not my piece of cake. I now use Fedora.

Well, what do you expect. A piece of junk software that started as an ugly GUI hack for DOS, which is a cheap ripoff of CP/M, a system that was used in the 70's, which was a cheap ripoff of the first Unix systems from the late 60's early 70's....

Every system has its good and bad points, except w**dows which has no good points - unless you count MARKETING as a good point. Totally designed to sell, not to work. In the beginning/mid of the 90's, when many people were starting to get interested in computers/internet, but most people knew nothing about them.... microsoft was easily able to dominate the market with all kinds of questionable sales tacticts, and then abuse its position as a monopoly in the market to clobber and/or buy out any form of competition. That "slightly" changed when free open source systems like Linux and FreeBSD became more usable and widespread, and when Apple made somewhat of a comeback in the IT market with OSX, which at its core is based on BSD Unix.

Last edited by delt (07-07-2015 11:48)