Topic: High-quality settings when rendering via a DAW

Pianoteq has "high-quality settings" that can be applied for exporting wav. But if I use a DAW, how to enable this settings when rendering output sound file?

Reaper has an option "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state". I think other DAWs also have this option. Does this force pianoteq to use high-quality settings?

Last edited by Ross (04-05-2015 14:06)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Re: High-quality settings when rendering via a DAW

I think, the only quality setting for the Pianoteq plug-in that can be set, is the samplerate setting.

The bit-depth internally is at least 24 bits already, maybe even 32 bits??

Something different is, of course, that you can make a lot of settings in Reaper when it comes to exporting a recorded session.

Then you can even make it mp3 with whatever settings you like.

I think, setting WAV output with 48kHz/24 bits makes the best match, and that it does not get any better when using much higher settings when rendering.

Greetings,

Geert

In the features page of Pianoteq :

No quantization noise (32-bit internal computation)

Last edited by floyer (04-05-2015 20:51)

Ross wrote:

Reaper has an option "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state". I think other DAWs also have this option. Does this force pianoteq to use high-quality settings?

A possibility is that the VST (here, Pianoteq) is informed that it is not interesting to limit the number of voices depending of the CPU usage since the DAW will wait for the computation. I don't know if Pianoteq do use this information.

Last edited by floyer (04-05-2015 21:28)

Ross wrote:

Pianoteq has "high-quality settings" that can be applied for exporting wav. But if I use a DAW, how to enable this settings when rendering output sound file?

Not automatically, that is only for plugins that allow the user to create different settings for playing and rendering (eg FXPansion D-Cam plugins, 2C Audio Reverbs)

I don't think Pianoteq has such a built in switch so you would have to set this in the host itself by increasing the samplerate before rendering.

My understanding of that "inform plugins" Reaper setting is that it means "since we are rendering offline, I will wait for you to compute your audio, no matter how long you take". So, regardless of the complexity of the performance, and regardless of the speed of the system, the result will always be what is intended - what will vary is the amount of time taken to create the render. (and for a simple solo piano performance, the render will typically occur *much* faster than the duration of the performance)

I know that at least with some plugins, if I do not enable this setting, the render will have glitches/dropouts.  I asked in the Reaper forum why one would ever not enable this setting. and why it isn't on by default, and the answer seems to be that it's because of the way Reaper development is done, and to be polite to the users, just in case the introduction of the setting causes any problems.

Greg.

skip wrote:

My understanding of that "inform plugins" Reaper setting is that it means "since we are rendering offline, I will wait for you to compute your audio, no matter how long you take".

(speaking as a programmer) All plugins should (and do) work like this anyway, none should attempt to work real-time during a render and drop out/glitch if there isn't sufficient CPU available to sustain real-time.  I have heard this was true of some old plugs, but it's a horrible bug.

I know that at least with some plugins, if I do not enable this setting, the render will have glitches/dropouts.

No, Reaper (and others?) can inform the plugin that they're doing an offline render, which the plug can optionally use to do higher quality processing (as was suggested).  For example Voxengo's plugs allow setting different oversampling factors for offline.  During offline rendering their plugs actually flash a 'rendering offline' status message.

EDIT: another use is meter plugins that can disable their processing for offline renders to save CPU.

Last edited by ReBased (04-06-2015 01:26)