Topic: Hopefully not so stupid questions

I had to sell my former August Foerster 215 grand and am happy with my Kawai vpc1 and Pianoteq combination, even though there is always difference between the actions, and the vpc1 action is not completely quiet.

As for the Pianoteq software itself what I find magical about it, and to which I haven't found an answer, is how is the character of the different type of instruments captured within the software. Each instrument has it own unique sound characteristic, so what tweaks within the software make the distinction between the Bechstein or Steinway sound e.g.
I suppose this secret is hidden within the underlying parameters of the software undisclosed to the user.

I personally find the base of the Steinway too heavy, I haven't done much testing yet, but is this a matter of changing a different configuration with the virtual microphones? I would expect the 'player' option is more realistic from the pianist's perspective.

As for the length of the strings, the Steinway has a string length of 2.70m as default (while the grand itself is 2.75 in length?). If I change it to 2.11 do I have a copy of a Steinway model B?
Does this scaling work this way? So e.g. a modeled 2.11m, with adjusted string length in Pianoteq to 2.70 or so, would then give a concert grand version?
I personally have no specific affinity with the Steinway sound, just as an example.

By the way when I bought my grand piano I was told that it hardly matters in complexity if a company makes a 1.70m or 2.70m grand piano, makes some sense to me, except when you look at the price difference...