Topic: Universal DAC for audio reference?

Let us looking at audio chipsets issue with so many different kinds of audio DSP and DAC produce different level of quality and they aren't good at everything, Linux and Mac OS X audio seems weak or too loud for any music due to AC97. The integrated Realtek chipset in Windows don't sound great e.g. we can't feel the string vibrate.

Therefore, for us to share the excellence and accurate audio quality across any devices and no colouring in Pianoteq, we should really get this portable DAC in thumbdrive, ESS audio chipset is certainly interesting!

http://igg.me/at/zuperdac/x/8910602

Re: Universal DAC for audio reference?

It may only make sense for people with low end computers or for mobile devices - everyone else would be wasting their money.

I've tried few digital-to-audio interfaces - from portable NuForce uDAC to desktop Focusrite and RME and I am absolutely sure that such tiny (and cheap) device will not provide any audible upgrade for people with Macs or other decent computers.

Frankly, at $50 price tag the risk is low - one may give it a try, but talking about "excellence", "accurate audio" and "no colouring" is a bit of a stretch - it is simply not physically possible

proyb wrote:

e.g. we can't feel the string vibrate.

No DAC will make you feel the string vibrate, LOL.

Hard work and guts!

I think it was a post on rec.audio.pro many moons ago that I read "the very worst DAC is still better than the very best speaker", and I suspect that still holds today. ;^)

Greg.