Topic: Recording PT5

I have one problem with PT5, otherwise it is brilliant. I use the built-in method for recording: play and if I want to keep/edit my playing, find it on the list and export it to the desktop.  Works except for one, and now, two reasons.  Until today I noted that if I exported a "recently played" file and then went on to play, that next playing often/usually did not record.  My work around was to export the file, close PT and re-open, the work of a few seconds.  Today, I exported some Mozart, closed and re-opened PT, played some more of the Mozart - best part of 10 minutes I think - and to my horror found that it had not kept it.  The last file on the recently played list was the 7 minute one I had exported.  Even though at least 10 minutes had passed, it showed as X notes played in 7 minutes 7 minutes ago - usually the mark of the playing just finished, of course.

So, anyone else experienced this problem?  If I am misunderstanding/misusing the process I would be grateful for enlightenment.  If it is a bug, is there a foolproof way - I thought I had already found it - around it?

Re: Recording PT5

A foolproof way would be recording it in a DAW of sorts

Hard work and guts!

It definitively looks like a bug, and an annoying one, but I cannot reproduce it here. Can you provide precise directions to reproduce that issue ? When you say "export the file", you mean export as WAV , or just save the MIDI file ?

Which version are you using by the way, is it version 5.1.4 ? We have released version 5.2.0 today, I wonder if that issue might be already fixed in 5.2.0.

Thanks for the replies.  I export the file as WAV, using 5.1.4.  Have now downloaded 5.2, but unable at present to test this version.  Will update when tested.

The issue is still there for 5.2, I just tested. One way to reproduce is to play back the last recorded notes, put the playback on pause before the end, and try to record something else. That playing will not be kept. Another symptom that I experienced earlier is that a single note or a single chord (all notes at once) is not recorded.

Last edited by Gilles (21-04-2015 15:32)

Thanks Gilles. It might be a different issue because you are explicitely using the pause button. At least I can easily reproduce this one. Regarding the non-recording of single notes or chords, this is by design, it only shows sequences with at least 4 notes !

I tried the pause button because it looked like a plausible scenario: record something, play the MIDI back, pause at a point where you want to correct things, and play the correction, thinking it will be recorded separately for later edits. I admit pausing the MIDI player may have an effect on the MIDI recorder but that possibility is there. As for the single note, I once wanted to record a note to analyse its full decay, I admit this is not a musical purpose...

Last edited by Gilles (21-04-2015 16:17)

I also have an issue of this kind.
I don't know why but sometimes the things I play are not kept in the memory. I want to load a piece that I played 10 minutes before, and it is not there... I just see pieces that I played 24 hours before... Strange.
I use the version 5.1.4 Standard on Linux

Well, as part of a previous job, I used to help design computer systems and test them.  One infuriating aspect of this was experiencing a bug and then not being able to reproduce it.  Programmers didn't want to know ..... until it appeared again when the system went live. (I also did some programming myself and learned the hard way that you cannot iron out all bugs before the quirky ways in which real users show up the deficiencies in systems.)

So, this may be an elusive bug, or not a bug at all, just happens sometimes with some combinations of software/OS etc.  I fired up 5.2 - many thanks to Modartt: the only software I have used which seamlessly upgrades and updates software without any hassle - and found the missing file, which was actually 8.5 minutes long.  Why/how it didn't materialise before the end of yesterday's session, who knows.  I then did a few minutes recording, opened the last file, started another recording, looked at the file and exported it as a WAV file etc.  You guessed it: everything worked perfectly.

I will continue to use PT as normal and hope I can spot the sequence that results in a file not being saved, if it occurs again.  I have learned to wait some seconds before opening the last file - at one time I thought I was trying to see/open it before it had been fully written.  Unlikely, but definitely not the case after several seconds with a relatively new MacBook Pro with SSD!