Topic: Hammer sound reduction

Dear Pianoteq users,

I have two questions

1. I would like to remove or significantly reduce the hammer noise of pianoteq. I know it's meant to give a sense of realism, and it does, but in my productions because of the effects I use it gets amplified, while it shouldn't be. For example an external delay, the delay is added to the whole of pianoteq, including the delay sound of the hammer noise, while it should only apply to the string being hit. Even when set to 0 there's still some sound, which subsequently becomes amplified through the external effects. I've added a screenshot for clarity.

http://i58.tinypic.com/106kqas.jpg

2. I would like to use screenshots of pianoteq in the blog about the synthesis of sound I'm planning to set up. It would be an educational blog about how sounds are generated. Am I allowed to use screenshots of the programme? Or would I be sued ?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Hammer sound reduction

2. Screenshots are fine.

Hard work and guts!

1. The hammer noise is part of the model and has a minimum value of 0.20 it cannot be completely turned off, even in the Pro version. Try inputting in Note Edit a 0.0 and it will be brought back to 0.20.

If you use the internal effects with D4, turning off the Delay effect and setting the Reverb Pre-delay to 0 might help.

@EvilDragon,

Thanks, though I think I should ask the question again to the employees I thought they maybe posted on the forum as well.

@Gilles

I see. I think I could try and use the internal delay then, see how that changes the output. Hmm seems like I have something to suggest to the Pianoteq team as another option ' turn off hammer noise completely', if I'm not being too pushy and/or expeditious. Pianoteq aims for realism but it allows for crazy experimentation too, so removing the hammer noise isn't too strange I think.

Zero hammer noise on Pianet T please!

Add sticky pad return noise

You know you hear it

@Blanco_Beats, @eugene,

I'm wondering if what you're both hearing and not wanting is the key release noise? Open the Action menu in the Output section and drop this slider all the way down - you can turn this off completely if you like.

If you have a keyboard with key release velocity, Pianoteq varies the volume of the key release noise, which feels a LOT more realistic!

Hope this helps.

This inspired me to listen exclusively to the key-release noise, and it seems very inconsistent across the keyboard, with some ranges much quieter than others. I tested a real grand piano today, and whilst there was a slight variation between different keys, none was as markedly soft as certain areas in PTQ (A above middle C being an example iirc).