Topic: Standalone continuous sustain pedal?

I'm thinking of some future upgrade for my CASIO PX-150, so I'm looking for a sustain pedal solution, I'd like to be able to get some independent MIDI USB device ideally. Googling did not helped much. Any suggestions?

On a Pianoteq website's F.A.Q page they mention Yamaha FC-3 or CME GPP-3 which seems to be out of production. Am I wrong?

BTW, Behringer FCB1010 looks awesome but unfortunately have no springs on a pedals, maybe they can be somehow modded?

Re: Standalone continuous sustain pedal?

Check this out: http://midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

Quite expensive, though. I'll try to build it cheaper.

I don't know whether it can be done with this: http://www.ucapps.de

Has anyone tried yet?

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (10-11-2014 22:19)
formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Thank you, I see... They ask $149 for it. And they mention a couple of pedals which are a kind of "expression controllers". Which exact models of piano type continuous pedals exists on a market that can be connected to that device? Do you know them, can you be so kind to tell?

Last edited by AKM (10-11-2014 22:32)

AKM wrote:

Thank you, I see... They ask $149 for it. And they mention a couple of pedals which are a kind of "expression controllers". Which exact models of piano type continuous pedals exists on a market that can be connected to that device? Do you know it, can you be so kind to tell?

I have the Roland DP-10. As far as I know it works with all continuous pedals (sustain, volume (expression)), but I'm not sure.

Thank you.

I could find Kawai F-10 H, Yamaha FC 3, even Roland RPU-3 with 3 continuous pedals.

Indeed, the Roland DP10 has a pot inside. It has a switch at the underside to switch between continuous and on-off. Probably this is the best solution.

Of course one can build his own unit, and use a CC to Midi converter print, but not everybody has enough electronics exeprience, and besides it gets not as smooth as the DP10 en also more expensive.

It is also not clear, if you decide to have a continuous controller wiht Midi output, if your piano software responds to it, when it was developed for on-off control.

Greetings,

Geert

geert wrote:

Of course one can build his own unit, and use a CC to Midi converter print, but not everybody has enough electronics exeprience, and besides it gets not as smooth as the DP10 en also more expensive.

You need both, such a merge box + a continuous pedal, if your keyboard only has a mono on/off jack and doesn't send continuous values, like my Casio CDP-130.

The sustain on most electronic pianos is simply just an "on / off".  On an acousitic you could lower the dampers more slowly, but in the end, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.  It sounds like you want some sort of fade out on the dampers or the sustain, but even on a good acoustic it's only marginal at best.  Of course there will always be some pianist who disagrees.  What's probably more important, is a good three pedal set-up that mimics an actual grand:  the center pedal sustaining an individual note. and the left creating a timbre / volume change when pressed.

Thinking about this more,  the real issue is string resonance when the damper is pressed, and that is something that is missing in most digital pianos.  Presumably Pianoteq has this or it wouldn't sound so realistic.  What you would want is diminished string resonance as the pedal was released.  It also may be possible to achieve some sort of thuddy muted piano tone by barely pressing the damper pedal on an acoustic piano.  Most likely this is rarely used, but not beyond the realm of possibility.

Last edited by GRB (11-11-2014 13:35)
Pianoteq Pro 7.x - Kubuntu Linux 19.10 - Plasma Desktop - Hamburg Steinway

GRB wrote:

On an acoustic you could lower the dampers more slowly, but in the end, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.  It sounds like you want some sort of fade out on the dampers or the sustain, but even on a good acoustic it's only marginal at best.  Of course there will always be some pianist who disagrees.

Actually I'm very curious to give it a good test, I mean a continuous pedal, if it is really make that big difference on a digital piano.

AKM wrote:
GRB wrote:

On an acoustic you could lower the dampers more slowly, but in the end, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.  It sounds like you want some sort of fade out on the dampers or the sustain, but even on a good acoustic it's only marginal at best.  Of course there will always be some pianist who disagrees.

Actually I'm very curious to give it a good test, I mean a continuous pedal, if it is really make that big difference on a digital piano.

Honestly in my opinion you are wasting your time.  It's more worthwhile to figure out how to keep whatever pedal you already have from sliding around on the floor.

GRB wrote:

It's more worthwhile to figure out how to keep whatever pedal you already have from sliding around on the floor.

DP-10 is the solution . Unfortunately it doesn't work with Casio out of the box. You'd have to switch polarity first OR leave it as is and use it as continuous pedal with such a box.

You could try to add a rubber like the DP-10 has if you want to keep your existing pedal.

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (11-11-2014 14:10)

Modellingoptimist wrote:
GRB wrote:

It's more worthwhile to figure out how to keep whatever pedal you already have from sliding around on the floor.

DP-10 is the solution . Unfortunately it doesn't work with Casio out of the box. You'd have to switch polarity first OR leave it as is and use it as continuous pedal with such a box.

You could try to add a rubber like the DP-10 has if you want to keep your existing pedal.

I have my Casio pedal velcroed to a heavy 1/4"  steel plate with silicone feet on the bottom.  It doesn't move on any surface be it wood, vinyl, or carpet.  My Casio PX-150 doesn't have damper resonance, but it does have a really stupid damper off noise which is rather unrealistic in my opinion.

I actually found a cheaper version of the MIDI Solutions pedal controller, and a 4-input model costs $20 less than that overpriced box. Has anyone ever tried it, and if so, what are the caveats?

Great find, thank you! I hope the Pianoteq website team should update their F.A.Q. page on this topic, since now their answer is very incomplete and  leads to non existent webpage and out of production hardware.

Last edited by AKM (10-12-2014 03:14)

I temporarily use the Roland DP-10 on my VPC-1, and it works fine.

Because I am going to improve the Kawai 3-pedal set, which is notoriuosly bad.

This goes for ANY continuous pedal:   some supplyers still use the standard ( cheap) carbon potentiometers.

One should replace them with conducting plastic pots, which have over one million turns lifetime.
Carbon pots are not made for contiuous travel. The outside dimensions are the same, so it can simpy be replaced, only chack the resistance of the old one, which should be in the range between 10 and 50 kilo-Ohms.
But it even is not necessary to replace with exactly the same resistance, as the voltage divider, which  it actually is, is connected inside your instument onto a very high-impedance, so this does not influence the characteristics. That,s also why you can use different brands of sustain pedals on your system.

Still better of course, is an optical device, which can be found in many professional devices ( although they are most of the time of the non-sping type).

Nowadays,  the wellknown Hall-sensors, which also are extesively used in motorcars, are a very good replacement.

Hello, Akm! Don't you consider to buy Casio factory 3-pedal unit for Px-150? SP-33. It supports half-pedal operation and, as I see, is available in most russian shops)

Last edited by Kridlatec (10-12-2014 12:38)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Hi mate! I checked them already. I tried them in the shop and seems to like it, but when I brought it home I realized it was totally unusable. The length of the pedals was so stupidly short, absolutely uncomfortable for me. If you wear some shoes at home with some hard bottom they may be ok for you, you may press with the tip of your foot, but for casual home situation they are just bad. Returned them.

Last edited by AKM (10-12-2014 20:11)

Has anyone here tried the Roland RPU-3 and was satisified with its performance and reliability, or knows if it is better than that Kawai unit? I've been thinking of purchasing one to go with that four-input midi box I posted, but I want to check first so I don't waste money.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre...pedal.html

Some user,s info. As it is, ALL THREE pedals are continuous. So you can also assign other parameters to it.

I guess the internal works are the same as for the single pedal Roland unit. So it is good value for money, I guess.

lowendtheory wrote:

I actually found a cheaper version of the MIDI Solutions pedal controller, and a 4-input model costs $20 less than that overpriced box. Has anyone ever tried it, and if so, what are the caveats?

I doubt the audiofront interfaces are merge boxes like the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller. As far as I understand it the audiofront is put between the pedal and USB or (with an additional USB-MIDI-interface) MIDI IN of the keyboard. With the internal sound it may work but for triggering external devices all MIDI signals have to be merged and sent via MIDI OUT or USB. If this is possible at all it requires a keyboard with at least MIDI IN and OUT or two USB connections. The Casio CDP-130 and PX-150 only have one USB.

With the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller you only need a MIDI OUT or USB and MIDI-USB-interfaces or MIDI cables, depending on your setup.

Or am I wrong?

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (11-12-2014 15:21)

AKM wrote:

I'm thinking of some future upgrade for my CASIO PX-150, so I'm looking for a sustain pedal solution, I'd like to be able to get some independent MIDI USB device ideally. Googling did not helped much. Any suggestions?

On a Pianoteq website's F.A.Q page they mention Yamaha FC-3 or CME GPP-3 which seems to be out of production. Am I wrong?

BTW, Behringer FCB1010 looks awesome but unfortunately have no springs on a pedals, maybe they can be somehow modded?

Interesting idea. I have an FCB1010. It's built like a tank. I think it would be trivial to attach a spring externally. Internally mounting would be much neater but more difficult.

Modellingoptimist wrote:
lowendtheory wrote:

I doubt the audiofront interfaces are merge boxes like the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller. As far as I understand it the audiofront is put between the pedal and USB or (with an additional USB-MIDI-interface) MIDI IN of the keyboard. With the internal sound it may work but for triggering external devices all MIDI signals have to be merged and sent via MIDI OUT or USB. If this is possible at all it requires a keyboard with at least MIDI IN and OUT or two USB connections. The Casio CDP-130 and PX-150 only have one USB.

With the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller you only need a MIDI OUT or USB and MIDI-USB-interfaces or MIDI cables, depending on your setup.

Or am I wrong?

It seems possible to use it in conjunction with any midi keyboard. Please do verify if that's the case.

OK, we are toalking about different products.........the Midi Solutions is only a Midi scanner with a few analog intpus, that accept the 1/4 inch connectors coming form foot pedals and the kind.

While tha Roland is simly only the pedal unit. When I said,  that you can assign different things to the Roland, I meant, of  course, via the software of the keyaobrd controller.

For piano I use the VPC-1, and its software lets you assign whatever CC you want.

I cannot see, that you need an true Midi in and out for it; I have simply hooked up the VPC-1 with its USB to the computer, ad it works fine.

These Midi encoders, which sit inside the Midi Solutions, can also be bought as a printed ciruit for making your own Midi encoder interface. F. i by Midihardware.com or Midiboutique.

AKM wrote:

Hi mate! I checked them already. I tried them in the shop and seems to like it, but when I brought it home I realized it was totally unusable. The length of the pedals was so stupidly short, absolutely uncomfortable for me. If you wear some shoes at home with some hard bottom they may be ok for you, you may press with the tip of your foot, but for casual home situation they are just bad. Returned them.

And the sustain pedal is said to be not continuous but only has three steps (OFF, HALF, ON) (http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre...ost2167459)

geert wrote:

OK, we are toalking about different products

AKM's problem is multilayer. His PX-150 has only one USB and one on/off sustain pedal input. Since he wants to upgrade and interpreting his reaction I don't think he's interested simply in a better on/off sustain pedal. Since his ideal is an "independent MIDI USB device" he needs a proper continuous pedal AND a device which MIDIfies it. If he wants to use Pianoteq he needs something like the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller.

^ exactly.

As far as I could understand all that break out MIDI boxes can be integrated as a separate MIDI devices and freely assigned to anything without any problems. They are not designed to be connected to your keyboard but rather to your computer via USB. The system recognize them as a standalone MIDI input devices along with your keyboard.

Last edited by AKM (11-12-2014 23:17)

AKM wrote:

As far as I could understand all that break out MIDI boxes can be integrated as a separate MIDI devices and freely assigned to anything without any problems. They are not designed to be connected to your keyboard but rather to your computer via USB. The system recognize them as a standalone MIDI input devices along with your keyboard.

Maybe others should take over since I'm not sure. Maybe the signals can be merged inside the computer as you describe it. This would be great when I think about live use since the signal from the keyboard wasn't interrupted. As backup I could let the on/off sustain pedal plugged for playing the internal sound in case of emergency.

Ok. In former times we would use a MIDI Merge Box. This is a hardware unit that mixes different ardware Midi inputs together into one Midi output stream, in which all inputs are sort of sequenced.
Every Midi input must have a different Midi channel allocated.

Nowadays, we use a DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation). It can listen to all Midi ports that are connected to the PC. And it can translate incoming Midi channel nrs to any channel you want.

You can then select f.i. "all Midi inputs" and "all channels" for the DAW instrument strip where you have loaded the Pianoteq VST plug-in.

Now Pianoteq will respond onto EVERY thing you,ve connected to the PC. YOu can even play it from different keyboards at the same time. etc etc.

I am sure this it no news to a lot of people......

After having used the Steinberg products for years, I recently switched to Reaper, which is very good stuff for much less money.

geert wrote:

Ok. In former times we would use a MIDI Merge Box. This is a hardware unit that mixes different ardware Midi inputs together into one Midi output stream, in which all inputs are sort of sequenced.
Every Midi input must have a different Midi channel allocated.

Nowadays, we use a DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation). It can listen to all Midi ports that are connected to the PC. And it can translate incoming Midi channel nrs to any channel you want.

You can then select f.i. "all Midi inputs" and "all channels" for the DAW instrument strip where you have loaded the Pianoteq VST plug-in.

Now Pianoteq will respond onto EVERY thing you,ve connected to the PC. YOu can even play it from different keyboards at the same time. etc etc.

I am sure this it no news to a lot of people......

After having used the Steinberg products for years, I recently switched to Reaper, which is very good stuff for much less money.

Well, I'm no MIDI geek.

Does that mean that the single audiofront interface is the right choice if I just want to have continuous sustain in Pianoteq?

Modellingoptimist wrote:

Does that mean that the single audiofront interface is the right choice if I just want to have continuous sustain in Pianoteq?

Since nobody from the forum seems to be not actually own it you will not get the clear 'yes' for your question at least right now. But from what they advertise on their site it's really seems to be an ideal solution. You may ask them directly before purchasing.

gpp-3 went out of production a long time ago and in any case had a poor quality reputation.

I am still stuck with wanting the 3 pedals that are the norm for (north american) pianos.
I will probably end up with a Roland RPU-3, maybe a used one on the assumption that it will eventually become noisy so I will then tear it apart and re-buid it with hall effects devices ANYWAY.

Found another unit for Casio Px, produced by this magazine. Though there is no information on whether it continious/switch/half-pedaling.

Kridlatec wrote:

Hello, Akm! Don't you consider to buy Casio factory 3-pedal unit for Px-150? SP-33. It supports half-pedal operation and, as I see, is available in most russian shops)

Yes, it supports half-pedal operation.

But it is not _continuous_ half-pedal.  There are only three positions:

. . . Dampers up ("pedal down")

. . . Half-pedal;

. . . Dampers down ("pedal up").

The decay time of "half-pedal" is set using the PX-150 menu.

The PX-350 works in the same way.

For the PX-350 (and I assume for the PX-150), when the pedal is moved into "half-pedal" position, a MIDI event is sent to Pianoteq.  And Pianoteq interprets it correctly -- it lets the dampers touch the strings, gently.
The PX-350 "half-pedal" menu setting controls the value of the MIDI message.

It works, but it's _not_ "just like an acoustic piano".

.       Charles

Last edited by cpcohen (13-12-2014 12:54)

cpcohen wrote:
Kridlatec wrote:

Yes, it supports half-pedal operation.

But it is not _continuous_ half-pedal.  There are only three positions:

. . . Dampers up ("pedal down")

. . . Half-pedal;

. . . Dampers down ("pedal up").

The decay time of "half-pedal" is set using the PX-150 menu.

The PX-350 works in the same way.

.       Charles

Hello, Charles! Thank you! Yes, I read on pianoworld, that this pedal-unit is not continious... But I didn't had much time to read that topic to the end to understand, whether Px-150/350 doesn't support continuous pedaling at all, or it's just a limitation of this SP-33 unit. Can you clarify it?

Last edited by Kridlatec (13-12-2014 14:11)

1.) Another option for those who like to tinker a bit could be this raw MIDI controller:
Doepfer We Wheel Electronic
This module has 4 analog inputs that can be connected with analog potis. Chances are good  the poti in a Roland DP-10 is appropriate, because it serves also just as a high-Ohm voltage divider.

On the german edition of that site a user-manual is linked for details:
http://images5.static-thomann.de/pics/a...eitung.pdf

2.) Or would it be possible to rip a universal midi-controller like Korg nanokontrol 2 and to replace one of its pots with a continuous foot-controller?? :-)

cheers

Last edited by groovy (13-12-2014 23:21)

http://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php?...duct=MRG1B

THis one does it all, for even 8 pots.....and more.

BUT: a ready-made Midi contrroller as mentioned in former post, is also very cheap; I use the iControls ICON for example, which has no less then 9 pots AND 9 sliders  ( plus a lot of switches of course).

You could use the switches for selecting different piano,s in Pianoteq, and make a nice little plug-in for a standard footcontroller, that is wired in place of one of the existing pots.

As long as you use screened cable, nothing can go wrong here!

lowendtheory wrote:

Has anyone here tried the Roland RPU-3 and was satisified with its performance and reliability, or knows if it is better than that Kawai unit?

As chance would have it, I just got an RPU-3 to complement an older stage piano I continue to use when playing pieces for two pianos. Since my main keyboard now is a VPC-1, I can directly compare it with the Kawai (though obviously I cannot say anything about longer-term reliabilty, yet). I am actually using the Doepfer wheel electronics mentioned in this thread (if you are able to solder, connecting the wires they deliver with regular 6.3 mm phone sockets - three-pronged and having an opening switch to indicate whether anything is plugged in - is not a big deal).

As for a direct comparison (i.e. connecting the RPU-3 to the VPC-1's MIDI IN via the Doepfer box), while I have noticed neither any improvement nor impediment in playing using either set of pedals, the Roland ones have a somewhat sturdier feel, though part of that may be due to the larger height of the Roland unit (they also seem to have slightly more resistance, i.e. stronger springs, but whether that is just due to the unit being very new remains to be seen). When moving the pedals by hand, there is some leeway to the sides, but this is not noticeable in actual use. The total distance they travel is about the same (there is a short "dead band" where the values are always 0 or 127, respectively, both between fully released and slightly pressed and between most of the way down to fully pushed, this seems more centered in the Roland, the Kawai - where this obviously only applies to the right pedal - has to go slightly further down before leaving the zero range), but with the Roland I get a slightly better feeling of controlling how far down I pushed them. Whether you prefer their form is a matter of taste, I guess - but depending on what shoes you wear while playing, you may find that your feet will touch when having them on the sostenuto and sustain pedals. If you prefer more space, the outward curve of the outer panels on the Kawai (really Fatar) unit has a definite advantage in that camp.

For now, I think when playing alone I'll be trying out the Roland for a while to decide which unit I prefer for daily use, and I'll follow up on this post in a month or two...

Best,
Daniel

Modellingoptimist wrote:

Maybe the signals can be merged inside the computer as you describe it. This would be great when I think about live use since the signal from the keyboard wasn't interrupted. As backup I could let the on/off sustain pedal plugged for playing the internal sound in case of emergency.

It works, I was able to test it. I bought the universal midi controller from Doepfer and connected one of its analog inputs with the Roland DP-10 foot-pedal. Doepfer's MIDI-out is connected via a cheap MIDI-to-USB-adaptor to my Pianoteq-notebook. A second USB-port of the notebook is connected as usual with my Kawai ES3 Piano.

Pianoteq registers two MIDI-Interfaces then and listens to all. I left the Doepfer jumpered on its default MIDI-channel 1.

The notes and sustain-events (continuous cc64) are merged perfectly in the notebook and I can use my piano-connected sustain-pedal (Fatar on/off-type) as an "emergency-backup" simultaneously.

The harder job will be to put the PCB into a case. I guess, I will try an alu-box from Hammond. Or has someone in the forum a 3D-printer?? ;-)

cheers

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141217/o2ez7tca.jpg

groovy wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

Maybe the signals can be merged inside the computer as you describe it. This would be great when I think about live use since the signal from the keyboard wasn't interrupted. As backup I could let the on/off sustain pedal plugged for playing the internal sound in case of emergency.

It works, I was able to test it. I bought the universal midi controller from Doepfer and connected one of its analog inputs with the Roland DP-10 foot-pedal. Doepfer's MIDI-out is connected via a cheap MIDI-to-USB-adaptor to my Pianoteq-notebook. A second USB-port of the notebook is connected as usual with my Kawai ES3 Piano.

Pianoteq registers two MIDI-Interfaces then and listens to all. I left the Doepfer jumpered on its default MIDI-channel 1.

The notes and sustain-events (continuous cc64) are merged perfectly in the notebook and I can use my piano-connected sustain-pedal (Fatar on/off-type) as an "emergency-backup" simultaneously.

The harder job will be to put the PCB into a case. I guess, I will try an alu-box from Hammond. Or has someone in the forum a 3D-printer?? ;-)

cheers

CONGRATS !!!

My FFF {or "3D printer" to the masses} is what has kept me from practice since early July (-:

Tell me what you want made up and I'll give it a try, but I can tell you ahead of time that a simple electronics "project box" in plastic will be easier/simpler/quicker and quite cheap - even a "Tupperware" or "Zip-lok" sandwich box from the local WalMart would protect it from the rigors of gigging.

EDIT:
I think you are probably in Europe, I am in USA, so making up a box and sending it to you would make sense only if you have no alternatives.
... and WalMart, Tupperware, Zip-Lok probably don't relate to your local market ?
(-:

Last edited by tractor_music (18-12-2014 03:37)

tractor_music wrote:

CONGRATS !!!

Thank you! And a very nice offer!

tractor_music wrote:

My FFF {or "3D printer" to the masses} is what has kept me from practice since early July (-:

Congrats from me, you are steps ahead.

Tell me what you want made up and I'll give it a try, but I can tell you ahead of time that a simple electronics "project box" in plastic will be easier/simpler/quicker and quite cheap - even a "Tupperware" or "Zip-lok" sandwich box from the local WalMart would protect it from the rigors of gigging.

EDIT:
I think you are probably in Europe, I am in USA, so making up a box and sending it to you would make sense only if you have no alternatives.
... and WalMart, Tupperware, Zip-Lok probably don't relate to your local market ?
(-:

Yes, you're right. I will try something like this http://www.musikding.de/Hammond-1590BB_1 which I used for a guitar "stompbox" in the past with some success.

Best regards

Last edited by groovy (18-12-2014 12:21)

That looks like a nice box and the price is OK.
I would probably go even cheaper, e.g. a plastic sandwich box from a grocery store.
Easy to cut, or melt holes in with a soldering iron

groovy wrote:
Modellingoptimist wrote:

cheers

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141217/o2ez7tca.jpg

Nice! Thanks a lot! For these purposes DIY electronics stores usually offer dedicated metal boxes which are quite cheap.

Thank you. Until the enclosure arrives, I'll use the following (ugly) work-around :-)

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141218/33q6t6j4.jpg

Hello,

I'd like to present you my first proof-of-concept of a continuous controller based on a magnet and a hall-sensor.

I was inspired by a similar project with a Kawai VPC-1 sustain-pedal at the pianoworld forum:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre...ost2395062

I'm using an old Roland DP-6 and removed its switch and the cable, so my modification is reversible:

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150321/m5n44pbl.jpg

In the middle of the foto you can see a little black part with 3 legs, this is a Honeywell hall-sensor of the linear type and for 5 V. Next to it I placed a litte neodym-magnet. Depending on the pedal movement the magnet has a different position. If everything is well adjusted, I get a continuous voltage between 0.01 V and 4.88 V (green wire) from the 5 V power-supply (white and black wire).

Because the lever of the DP-6 is made of aluminium, I put a small sheet iron on it, so the magnet and the little screw are attracted. The PCB is fixed temporarily by another magnet, so it can be positioned too. At least the 3rd-dimension is adjustable by the wires of the sensor.

Once I have found the best position, I plan to glue the components with epoxid and to solder the sensor.

To get a continuous MIDI CC 64 (sustain) from the voltage range, I used again my separate Doepfer Wheel Electronic. I just had to unplug my other (passive) potentiometer-based pedal and to connect the two output wires of my new (active) pedal with GND and the measuring input of the Doepfer WE.

When I'm finished, I'll let you know. I hope it is interesting for you, despite my very limited language, sorry :-)

cheers

Last edited by groovy (21-03-2015 22:11)

So ... finished. The wiring has changed, because I found out, that I don't need an external 5V-power-supply.
I can use the 5 V input reference-voltage of the Wheel Electronic! All I need now is a stereo-cable to transport 5 V, GND and the sensor-output. The resulting MIDI-Signal for sustain has a range between 0 and 125.

Have a nice day

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150322/x3meb7fe.jpg

tractor_music wrote:

I would probably go even cheaper, e.g. a plastic sandwich box from a grocery store.

... OK, you get, what you pay for ;-)

->
http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150410/ihyxjj48.jpg

(My standalone continuous sustain pedal based on a magnetic field sensor and the Wheel Electronic.)

Modellingoptimist wrote:

Check this out: http://midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

Quite expensive, though. I'll try to build it cheaper.

There are 'Arduino nano's around, small systems-on-a-chip for ~10 EUR. Being opensource hard- and software, these can be programmed and flashed with every PC. I recently started my very first project with a nano and was able to convert the analog output of a Roland DP-10 Sustain-Pedal to MIDI:

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150509/ju6ms3sb.jpg

Great work!  In fact it is so tiny, it even could be built inside the pedal unit itself I guess.

geert wrote:

Great work!  In fact it is so tiny, it even could be built inside the pedal unit itself I guess.

Thank you, geert!
I thought about your proposal too, but at the moment I tend more to the modular and non-invasive approach. Several pedals or other custom controllers can be combined this way.  But indeed there are further ways to strip the setup down: It is possible to send the MIDI data over the USB-Port directly. But then a process on the PC has to receive these serial data and to present it as an MIDI-Input to the Operating System. I found a nice little software (20 kB), that does exactly this: ttymidi

I start ttymidi from the command-line and pianoteq then lists an additional MIDI device named "ttymidi". The incoming sustain data from ttymidi are automatically merged by pianoteq with my USB-keyboard data on the second USB-port of my netbook.

Pros:
+ no external powersupply needed (5V supplied by USB from the netbook).
+ no additional MIDI-to-USB-Interface required.
+ no 5-pin DIN-cable required.
+ simplification.

Cons:
- 5V from USB is eventually* not as stable as a recommend external Vin of 7-12 V for the Arduino nano.

(*I observed that a static hold pedal-position can result in a "fluttering" controller-value, e.g. if the pedal is full down for a longer period, the output can flutter between 126 and 127. This is not really a problem for the MIDI-bandwidth, but these are unnecessary events. With the external power-supply I presented in the blue-box foto, the events seem to be always deterministic, e.g. 127 statically in this situation. I guess a small change in the program code could work-around it easily if needed).

Have a nice day

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150514/4gptlxwx.jpg

groovy wrote:

I observed that a static hold pedal-position can result in a "fluttering" controller-value, e.g. if the pedal is full down for a longer period, the output can flutter between 126 and 127.

Just found a useful MIDI option in Pianoteq to handle this problem. With 'Maximum parameter value' set to 95% (default is 100%) I can simply filter out the unstable values 126/127 in Controller 64 (Sustain Pedal) before they are processed by Pianoteq. Nice!

Nevertheless it would be better to avoid the flapping at the source (Arduino nano) with more intelligent own programcode.

EDIT: ... and this is my new solution, that simply avoids sending 126 and 127 over the MIDI bus:
if (controlValue != lastcontrolValue && controlValue < 126 )

Last edited by groovy (09-06-2015 18:50)