Topic: Pianoteq 5

Too early to talk about it?, usually these silences on the forum means something.

Re: Pianoteq 5

I think its now the time to talk about it!

When do you think will be out and what features will have?

More gradations for Hammer Hardness, hopefully. 3 not enough! 5 better. If space for sliders is considered a problem, well, easy to workaround.

ADDED: for one approach, sliders aren't needed to get the same result; even if they have the appeal of immediacy of use, a single number entry box does the same job, while which (previously) slider is being addressed can be selected by radiobutton - pp, p, mf, f, ff. And if a slider's immediacy of use is too appealing to let go, make the setup be one slider and 5 radiobuttons.

Pianoteq is very good right now.  Acoustic pianos however have continuous levels of force, not 3.

Last edited by custral (31-01-2014 05:15)

Instead of 5 or more buttons, it would be better to make a curve, as we have for velocity, pedal and etc.

Last edited by Kridlatec (31-01-2014 16:57)
Pianoteq 6 Pro (D4, K2, Blüthner, Model B, Grotrian, Ant.Petrof)
Studiologic SL88Grand, Steinberg UR22mkII

Rohade wrote:

Too early to talk about it?, usually these silences on the forum means something.

Then for gosh sakes, keep quiet. Mum's the word!!!

;-)

PunBB bbcode test

I hope it will at least loose its typical "sound signature".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgPHF2A-DoE

Does this pianist apply a range pp different from his p, another range ff different from his f? Surely so, you can hear it.

custral wrote:

Does this pianist apply a range pp different from his p, another range ff different from his f? Surely so, you can hear it.

Hello Custral,

A decent piano player has approximately 20 gradations of volume on a decent piano.  A world-class concert performer, performing on a concert-prepared instrument, has approximately twice as many gradations (possibly more) of volume and touch.

Now, I imagine one asking, since Pianoteq has 127 non-zero note-on velocities whether is it possible to have 127 gradations of volume in Pianoteq.  I suppose the answer is that it is possible for this to be true, but I know of no person of any time period who was able to reproduce 120+ gradations in touch.

In addition, the referenced Pletnev-Scarlatti recording has been post processed by the recording engineer and mastering engineer.  What this means is that the German Steinway that Pletnev used ... exhibited a live sound that was since compressed.  It happens in commercial piano recordings that the piano gets "darker" and/or "brighter" withOUT a corresponding proportional decrease and/or increase in volume. 

Cheers,

Joe

Accepting your points all (shall say how, as contexts arise), let's open by remarking I myself can't claim anything LIKE 40 levels of control (or 20)! But I can achieve the levels even if by accident; the instrument makes this a cert, and besides, I'm not all alone on earth. Others can play better than me no risk, and I want to speak of Pianoteq as an instrument, one that has set out to compete with Acoustics, and is doing very well by most comers, including the special Others Cloud out there. And if my 'Pletnev' example turns out to be 'Pletnev plus engineers' then it was no example for the Others, or anyone, so let's forget it, talk turkey instead.

A certain recent poster's beef (one of them) with Pianoteq boiled down to fuzzy  location of the notes, and it happens such an aim (better location in space) of the notes is one I've had a long time. I'll post an FXP of my best effort to date, and warn I'm a bit deaf in my left ear right now, so make allowance. At core it tightens the Hammer Hardnesses, Why, since I noticed a certain (sampling) competitor-product in effect changed all HHs across the keyboard en bloc, and the localisation of notes at softest was fuzzy, at hardest had the precision of iceblocks all in a row. Called that a clue did I, and set to work. Look at the FXP and see my changes are not en bloc, (but somewhat are, in that where piano HH tightens toward forte's, the tightened mezzo HH keeps the Bluthner default's middle proportions to its untightened companions; same while tighter effect).

And there were my iceblocks, all in a row! And Phut went the above-mentioned beef, correct enough, but flimsy with just a bit of under-the-hood tinkering.

In a nutshell that's why I want 5 levels not 3 (and 7 would be better yet). Nothing like 40! Pianoteq is taking a righter approach than the competitor product. Just not enough of it. For it (begins to at 3 sliders) allow both spread-of-hardnesses AND tightness at the one setting - not true of the en bloc competitor - a little like an Acoustic does, but that little is a crucial step into simulating the real world of Acoustic pianos.

Why increased localisation should track hardness, my idea is that if your model for piano sound is ADSR, harder makes the A section peakier, and the ear hangs all it interprets during the following die-away on that first cue. It's a theory. Also, I don't know if Acoustic instruments lose THEIR localisation with soft strokes, I no longer have one.

Any that haven't got Bluthner, try the same with a model you do have. INSERT: your recipe is FIRST get an adequate stereo-microphone setup happening, NEXT crispen up the localisation of notes by tightening the Hammer Hardness levels. Less tightness is analagous to an unfocused photo. More tightness to a sharp-focused one.

FLUB : I uploaded the FXP while not logged in, so I'm appearing there as a Guest.

Last edited by custral (05-02-2014 03:38)

Fun to speculate on V5.
Given that V4 was very "D centric" I wonder if V5 might have some other highly regarded model as a base for thirty or so variants ?

I have commented previously on the 4th generation piano claim being somewhat in contrast to imitating 19th and 20th century instruments - so obviously I would LIKE to see (play) something from THIS century (or late last century).  Apart from the electronic stage pianos of the 60s, 70s, 80s.

Not where the piano has BEEN a long time ago, more where it is GOING and has been RECENTLY.
The Ravenscroft is still very young (10 years ?) Fazioli relatively young (30 or 35 ?) Stuart (15 or so years ?)
Steingraeber  (long established, but innovative)  Hurstwood Farm (young, also innovative).

I think these will be around long enough to be worth investing model development time in.
{though I wouldn't expect ALL of them in a low cost V4 -> V5 upgrade }

Last edited by tractor_music (05-02-2014 23:14)

To be honest, I'm also tiring of the Steinway sound usually captured in many software VSTs. The Bluthner was a good first step in at least showcasing variety in piano sound. For me, if Modartt would make a model based on any of the new innovative pianos coming out of the woodwork, maybe I would then consider buying.

lowendtheory wrote:

To be honest, I'm also tiring of the Steinway sound usually captured in many software VSTs. The Bluthner was a good first step in at least showcasing variety in piano sound. For me, if Modartt would make a model based on any of the new innovative pianos coming out of the woodwork, maybe I would then consider buying.

Just looked back at the V4 release date - Apr 2012.
V3 Feb 2009, Gee, over 3 years.
I don't know what that means in competitive marketing terms, other than unusually LARGE gaps between versions might cause concern.   
I think anything much over 2 years could be considered Long, but the 3 year + precedent is there so we may have to wait a while yet. 

A question worth considering is how much the innovations affect the actual sound vs affecting other (very desirable) attributes in the physical pianos, such as tuning stability, evenness between keys, ease of tuning, reliability of parts, and for want of a better term "feel" of the keys etc.
As I understand it bridge agraffes reduce the horizontal component of string vibration and thereby increase efficiency - hardy an issue in an electronic piano, just turn up the volume and/or stretch out the envelope

tractor_music wrote:

Fun to speculate on V5.
Given that V4 was very "D centric" I wonder if V5 might have some other highly regarded model as a base for thirty or so variants ?

I have commented previously on the 4th generation piano claim being somewhat in contrast to imitating 19th and 20th century instruments - so obviously I would LIKE to see (play) something from THIS century (or late last century).  Apart from the electronic stage pianos of the 60s, 70s, 80s.

Not where the piano has BEEN a long time ago, more where it is GOING and has been RECENTLY.

Tractor_music, I understand your point of view, and it is true that the instruments that are included in Pianoteq are reproducing existing instruments, whereas you are asking for new instruments. But Pianoteq is not only a set of instruments, it is also a tool for creating new ones, as one can see in the fxp corner and as one saw in a contest where it was asked to create new sounds. Listen for example to the pieces called "Afrodream", "Sus picious" or "Pianoteq Jam" on the page https://www.pianoteq.com/listen_by_instrument which do contain sounds that are not from the 19th nor the 20th century existing instruments. So maybe what you are asking for is just there in front of us but we don't see it?

tractor_music wrote:

The Ravenscroft is still very young (10 years ?) Fazioli relatively young (30 or 35 ?) Stuart (15 or so years ?)
Steingraeber  (long established, but innovative)  Hurstwood Farm (young, also innovative).

The chance for Stuarts seems narrow indeed, since the factory has fallen on hard times. No orders.

Very likely a result of Steinway's response to the instrument, which in Australia took the form of a price reduction below that of Stuarts'. Seriousness of the intent can be guaged by the amounts, a sacrifice of half the market rates.

Going nowhere, pity.

Digital technology go on...

And vintage technolog it's like going down, maybe they forgot how make it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhbL1RsOjNc

Am I crazy or the music box it's out tune and not the recording 9metal disc whatever...) wasn't make right ?  Or both?

custral wrote:
tractor_music wrote:

The chance for Stuarts seems narrow indeed, since the factory has fallen on hard times. No orders.

Very likely a result of Steinway's response to the instrument, which in Australia took the form of a price reduction below that of Stuarts'. Seriousness of the intent can be guaged by the amounts, a sacrifice of half the market rates.

Going nowhere, pity.

Wow, I can't help thinking what I would do next in Wayne Stuart's position.
Price war ?  Probably not, that becomes a race to the bottom.
SOMEHOW capitalize on it ?   It IS high praise indeed.
Could he advertize ON this move ?

In the USA he might be able to allege "Dumping", i.e. under selling in order to starve him out.
No idea if Australia has similar laws against that practice.

Aus has a principle - 'in restraint of trade' - that notionally is illegal, and which I guess a smart lawyer could twist to whatever his purpose; and it also recognises 'dumping', at least in media reports. But no government or other official action EVER follows any clear infraction sourced from overseas (at-home infractions are different, if griped against by the right lobby). My source is THE BEETHOVEN OBSESSION, a performance-bio of the sole recording-history of Stuart pianos you'll ever get to hear, probably, and all by the pianist Gerard Willems.

OBSESSION wrote:

As Steinway competed with the brash Australian upstart, its business ethics came under question. During deliberations in the New South Wales parliament dealing with the government's support for the local piano, Treasurer Michael Egan accused Stuart's competitors of 'engaging in practices that could only be described as dumping.' He pointed the finger at Steinway, who, he claimed, had suddenly halved the price of their instruments, 'That was simply an attempt by Steinway to get the price of its piano under the price of a Stuart concert grand', the Treasurer told parliament.

That was perhaps in 2000, and whether Steinway backed off, or Stuart retaliated, isn't said. But it can't be the full hard-times picture. Maverick becomes older and crotchety, then cantankerous and unpredictable. The two sons aren't the equal of the four that took the Steinway dynasty onward, where always there was diversity of talents and always one who'd smoothly emerge as leader.

Wayne Stuart wrote:

Officially I have mothballed production. [. . .] I will eventually store the plant and retire. It will be held so long as I survive in case someone wants to resurrect it. Otherwise, it will go to the grave with me.

So that's it - 'in case' or 'otherwise'.

In one of the future versions, I would like to see the ability to print/export all the adjustable parameters with the associated value.   So for any preset or FXP file, I could quickly see what all the adjustments are - for instance, in one place I could see all the tuning, voicing, design adjustments, even mic locations. 

This feature would make tweaking and experimenting so much easier and efficient.  Now, when I load an FXP file, I have to go through screen by screen and write out the values.

Here's a relatively uncomplicated one: Time signatures and beat emphasis in the metronome.

I'd like to see an improvement in the electric pianos. While they're still nice to play, they seem to be lagging behind the acoustics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h7_iOweG_U

Maybe I'll change my user name soon .

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

Hey hey, they got the "bull by the horn"

-Reworked versions of Bluthner, D4, U4 upright, K2, YC5 ...  Soundboard and string algorithm for moddeling were improved.

-Improved microfones position.

New models:

Bosendorfer (1829)

Pleyel (1835)  -Not the 1926 version

Frenzel (1841)

S. Erard (1849)  -Not the other already available from 1922.

C. Bechstein (1899)  - Not the other alveady available from 1896

J.B. Streicher (1852)

J.Dohnal (1795)

J.Broadwood (1796)

Pianoteq 5.
5 it's a luck number.

Just need to change the MIDI music that come as demo in the midi player.
;-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (29-03-2014 17:07)

when it is put up for sale? ..

Any date ???

jarosujo wrote:

Any date ???

Before Summer, they're shooting for May

Honestly I expected this to be finished according to previous trends, which was around 2016, but this is a great surprise!

Last edited by lowendtheory (18-03-2014 12:51)

Oh that's some great news.. can't wait to see the new microphones in action..

it will cost you nothing to dream, and everything not to..

This is great news.  I almost hit the buy now to upgrade to V4 last night.  I am going to wait for V5 now unless they can guarentee me a grace period coverage.

I have been using Vienna Imperial for years now instead of PTQ but I can tell you, last night I downloaded the V4 demo (I still have V3) and it was an enormous quality increase.  The D4 is far superior to the old C3 etc.

I think V5 will bring me home here again.  Nothing plays like Pianoteq can for a real pianist.

Maestro2be

I think it should be possible to change mic positions in the Stage version as well . Two mics would be enough.

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (18-03-2014 17:45)

maestro2be wrote:

This is great news.  I almost hit the buy now to upgrade to V4 last night.  I am going to wait for V5 now unless they can guarentee me a grace period coverage.

I have been using Vienna Imperial for years now instead of PTQ but I can tell you, last night I downloaded the V4 demo (I still have V3) and it was an enormous quality increase.  The D4 is far superior to the old C3 etc.

I think V5 will bring me home here again.  Nothing plays like Pianoteq can for a real pianist.

Maestro2be

You're guaranteed free upgrades for 1 year after purchase.

as you can see (or guess) in the video you'll have several (18) models of mics, including cardio, omni and fig8 directivity. So any conventional miking technique is available: Blumlein, ORTF, MS, you name it.

Convinced or not yet ? :-)

Luc Henrion wrote:

as you can see (or guess) in the video you'll have several (18) models of mics, including cardio, omni and fig8 directivity. So any conventional miking technique is available: Blumlein, ORTF, MS, you name it.

Ups, my alter ego hacked my account and posted the video . I will delete my first lines.

Luc Henrion wrote:

I know that many of you love the flexibility of that.   However, I just want to play the piano.  I do not wish to need a sound engineer to get things set up before I can do that.

I rely on FXP files deposited on this site and built-in setups like Blues, Jazz, etc ...

I hope they have been developed to a level where they will work well without additional tweaking.

ddascher wrote:

I know that many of you love the flexibility of that.   However, I just want to play the piano.  I do not wish to need a sound engineer to get things set up before I can do that.

I rely on FXP files deposited on this site and built-in setups like Blues, Jazz, etc ...

I hope they have been developed to a level where they will work well without additional tweaking.

I hope that as well and that is one reason Galaxy Vintage D is still my favourite. It is like an Apple product as it has character. Either you like it or you don't because you cannot tweak everything. I just experienced that the presets in Pianoteq haven't reflected the whole potential of the software so far but I could tweak much to my liking.

Last edited by Modellingoptimist (18-03-2014 18:36)

njaremko wrote:
maestro2be wrote:

Maestro2be

You're guaranteed free upgrades for 1 year after purchase.

Thanks, I confirmed this with support.  That's a great policy .

Before some fanatic crazy fórum member suggest this, I will do myself !!!

What about a option for vintage microfones response and vintage recording device tapes/discs emulation:

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

Luc Henrion wrote:

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-03-2014 04:06)

you are not required to change mic settings, there are plenty of presets to choose from. But should you wish to go further, you can.

I wonder if there are still samples being used for noises? If so there is a high chance of quick improvement here since sampling is a mature technology.

Yes, samples are still used for noises.

Hard work and guts!

Seems as if things might be easier than I expected then. I'm so excited.

I once tried to feel velocity changes in the samples used for noises. I adjusted noises to maximum and played the last trebble Keys.  But I did not noticed any velocity changes in the noises at all.
So I presume the noise sample use some sort ot algorithm to adjust volume, fadding and duration, to make it seamless.

EvilDragon wrote:

Yes, samples are still used for noises.

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-03-2014 16:04)

which date to the sale?

Regards

Hey Niclas, what about a fine mp3 of the V5 version?

:-)

Changing subject a little bit, I was thinking about V-Piano and Physis piano. I don't hear much talk or fuss about theses product anymore. 
I believe V5 it's already superior to both.

Last edited by Beto-Music (27-03-2014 14:20)

Beto-Music wrote:

Hey Niclas, what about a fine mp3 of the V5 version?

:-)

Changing subject a little bit, I was thinking about V-Piano and Physis piano. I don't hear much talk or fuss about theses product anymore. 
I believe V5 it's already superior to both.

There MIGHT BE conversation about them in their respective fora and "owners groups";
Also, I think they are in different segments of the market,
i.e. for people buying the "Complete with Keyboard, speakers and cabinet" products who are looking for something other than "digital pianos".

I see Pianoteq as an alternative to "computer based sample players".

Superiority/inferiority of these three products may not be all that relevant if they are in different market spaces, i.e. not competing directly with each other - "head to head".

Well... I'm not sure... 

Let's supose someone was looking for a complete digital piano (cabinet/speaker et...) and really  liked pianoteq demo, he can buy a good digital piano controller or digital piano model with fine action but afordable price, and buy pianoteq, and the final price would be friendly than buy V-piano or Physis piano.

tractor_music wrote:

I see Pianoteq as an alternative to "computer based sample players".

Superiority/inferiority of these three products may not be all that relevant if they are in different market spaces, i.e. not competing directly with each other - "head to head".

Pianoteq 5, Pianoteq 5, Pianoteq 5 etc.

When ?

Lylo wrote:

Pianoteq 5, Pianoteq 5, Pianoteq 5 etc.

When ?

They want to release in May.

V5 will have many new vintage pianos from Kremsegg Musem Collection:

Bosendorfer (1829)
Pleyel (1835) 
Frenzel (1841)
S. Erard (1849) 
C. Bechstein (1899) 
J.B. Streicher (1852)
J.Dohnal (1795)
J.Broadwood (1796)

I found a page Kremsegg Museum:

http://www.oberoesterreich.at/en/activi...astle.html

http://www.schloss-kremsegg.at/

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

Bosendorfer 1829 :

PunBB bbcode test

Last edited by Beto-Music (04-04-2014 02:44)

Are the electric pianos (rhody, Wurly ect...) also getting  a significant update??