Topic: Ideas, suggestions, bug reports...

I'm surprised there isn't already a sub-forum about this (that's my first suggestion heheh)

...anyway....

First, a suggestion: on the keyboard at the bottom of the pianoteq interface, make it more visible which notes are being played - especially the black notes. This would help a lot to learn pieces from midi files, without needing to load another software like synthesia.

Also, a bug report - this has been kind of annoying... sometimes mouse clicks/drags are generated "at random" when moving the mouse. I don't know if it's a bug with JUCE or just in the linux version, or whatever. For example, sometimes when i move the mouse and it happens to drag across the onscreen keyboard, it plays a whole bunch of random notes. Sometimes also the menus behave strangely, like if i had clicked on the menubar, requiring an extra mouse click to use the interface normally.... anyway, it doesn't happen very often, but i just thought i'd report it.

Another small issue, i don't know if it's a bug or intended that way.... when right-clicking on the preset name to reload it, the "frozen" parameters are ignored. This is annoying because the velocity curve gets reset to whatever was saved in the preset. This doesn't happen when selecting another (or same) preset from the drop-down menu. (this isn't much of an issue, since the last selected preset is at the top of the list anyway)

Another suggestion: remember which windows are open, and their positions (EQ, effects, maybe others in the standard or pro versions)

Ok, that's all i can think of for now, peace

/* edit */

Suggestion/bug report: in fullscreen mode, at least in the "stage" version, the options window doesn't fit on the screen. I would guess this happens the same regardless of video mode/resolution....?

Last edited by delt (27-07-2013 22:28)
http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Re: Ideas, suggestions, bug reports...

delt wrote:

First, a suggestion: on the keyboard at the bottom of the pianoteq interface, make it more visible which notes are being played - especially the black notes. This would help a lot to learn pieces from midi files, without needing to load another software like synthesia.

Did you notice the possibility of playing step by step the MIDI file using the right arrow on the computer keyboard? The played keys are then a bright red, very easy to see. You can even play the file backward with the left arrow...

Oh my. delt's observation about the black keys is spot on correct (and the white keys, once compared to this red pickout, is pretty inadequate too).

Why can't this red note play feature be made an option for ordinary MIDI playback too?

It's a matter of how useful the display is being, and at present it rates as black notes 5, white  notes 30 - on a scale of 1..100.

With red rating 100.

Gilles wrote:

Did you notice the possibility of playing step by step the MIDI file using the right arrow on the computer keyboard? The played keys are then a bright red, very easy to see. You can even play the file backward with the left arrow...

How many people knew this? Good to know, thanks for sharing.
Could the Midi section be upgraded to look like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQNMi695so
Rather than the thin strip at the top. It would be nice to see the music dropping over the keys. It could also make tutorials more effective.

Another little glitch: when in fullscreen mode, the window can be moved left and right (and sometimes downwards) by clicking and dragging the very edges of the screen.

DonSmith wrote:
Gilles wrote:

Could the Midi section be upgraded to look like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQNMi695so
Rather than the thin strip at the top. It would be nice to see the music dropping over the keys. It could also make tutorials more effective.

I suspect that for many users of pianoteq, we consider it a software for recording piano for different projects and furthermore a software to use in daily piano play. Important for the users who work with recordings is usually that a program uses as little memory and power from the computer as possible.

For this reasons I would myself rather see Modartt focusing on sound alone rather then "teaching music" and flashy graphics which would probably consume memory and workload from the CPU.

I would instead encourage players to search the web for free learning programs for piano, there are soooo many out there you wouldnt believe. But last and foremost, I recommend having a human piano teacher rather then an artificial and too learn musical notes rather then looking at midi files and youtube videos. Musical notes is not hard to learn, its actually very simple. And once you learned it, a massive huge history of music is opened to you.

Sundance_k1d wrote:
DonSmith wrote:
Gilles wrote:

I suspect that for many users of pianoteq, we consider it a software for recording piano for different projects and furthermore a software to use in daily piano play. Important for the users who work with recordings is usually that a program uses as little memory and power from the computer as possible.

For this reasons I would myself rather see Modartt focusing on sound alone rather then "teaching music" and flashy graphics which would probably consume memory and workload from the CPU.

I would instead encourage players to search the web for free learning programs for piano, there are soooo many out there you wouldnt believe. But last and foremost, I recommend having a human piano teacher rather then an artificial and too learn musical notes rather then looking at midi files and youtube videos. Musical notes is not hard to learn, its actually very simple. And once you learned it, a massive huge history of music is opened to you.

I agree with your arguments and the main aim for Modartt, but the elements for the midi are already there: the sound map of the midi file, the ability to slow it down, the note by note (colour keys) as mentioned by Giles. It doesn't have to be a major project, its not re-inventing the wheel, just a re-layout of the midi section. At the moment we could detach and re-size some elements, why not the same for the midi. As the software stands at the moment, it already has tutorial abilities. This also great for beginners and professionals. This is to Modartt's credit.

Just updated from Stage to Standard, and took the promotion to grab me the blüthner add-on

There's a setting under "design" in the upper right, called "duplex scale". When switching to the Blüthner, this parameter becomes "aliquot strings", but the tooltip still says "adjust weight of the duplex scale resonance".

(...if i'm not mistaken, this feature refers to the extra sympathetic strings on the blüthner, right?)

It is probably not a bug but I don't understand why the cursor condition reset his position on default, mint 0, every time I change a parameter (effects, equalizer).

Pitou wrote:

It is probably not a bug but I don't understand why the cursor condition reset his position on default, mint 0, every time I change a parameter (effects, equalizer).

Not happening here...what version and what "package" (standard, stage) are you using?

4.5.1 pianoteq stage for me

Reviving this thread with a feature request:

preset management for "action", "mallet bounce" and "sound recording" sections, please :-)  Just like you have it with effects and equalizer already.

Another suggestion/feature request: Volume slider completely at minimum = volume at zero (-inf db)

This is sort of rediculous, but if you want to fully mute Pianoteq make a velocity map preset with all velocities set to zero.

Feature request: separate saved velocity curves for note-ons, pedal, etc.

For example, i create a velocity curve for the sustain pedal. I save it, but then the note-on velocity curve is also saved along with it.

varpa wrote:

This is sort of rediculous, but if you want to fully mute Pianoteq make a velocity map preset with all velocities set to zero.

Even with velocity set to zero, notes are not completely muted, plus there's the action/hammer noises, pedal noises etc. that are not affected by velocity.

So, i say either this (volume to minimum == zero output) OR remember window positions so i can close pianoteq completely and re-open it without re-positioning everything the way i like.

(OR both )

Own window manager titlebars/decorations on all windows, and not override the window manager's keys for moving etc.

I encountered a bug in Stage:

Select the D4 Honky Tonk preset

Change the Reverb type

Piano sound changes to "not" honky tonk.

I find that with the zero velocity map the piano sound is completely silent but there will are pedal/action sounds (which are rather quiet so I do not notice them if playing another instrument).   At any rate, I agree it would be nice have a mute button to easily mute/unmute pianoteq.

An option to IGNORE program changes from .MID files!!!!

(and possibly other controls from midi files)

more feature requests that I think would definitely help to get even more realism:

- offer the humanize function for more parameters, not only strike point. It would be nice to have a little humanize on the hammer hardness, and possibly the overtone mix?

- offer randomize function for unison spread, so that you can have this parameter vary across the keys (don't know if that is done by the condition setting already?)

Last edited by User123123123 (07-11-2013 15:37)

User123123123 wrote:

- offer the humanize function for more parameters, not only strike point. It would be nice to have a little humanize on the hammer hardness, and possibly the overtone mix?

Hammer Noise, Blooming energy, Blooming inertia are the other three parameters that have Humanize. Hammer hardness is not something that needs to be humanized, really.

User123123123 wrote:

- offer randomize function for unison spread, so that you can have this parameter vary across the keys (don't know if that is done by the condition setting already?)

This can be done in Pro version.

Hard work and guts!

Cool, didn't know that!

Yeah, I agree about the hammer hardness, in reality it also does not change from note to note.

More feature requests :-)

- round robin for key release samples (don't know if this already exists, sometimes they sound pretty machinegun like)

- key press down samples (when playing ppp I hear loud release noises but virtually no noise when pressing down a key. that is a bit odd)

- don't know if this is there already: velocity layers for key down / release samples

User123123123 wrote:

- key press down samples (when playing ppp I hear loud release noises but virtually no noise when pressing down a key. that is a bit odd)

That's because when you play ppp there's nothing significant to hear when you press the key, really.

Hard work and guts!

This would be very useful: on the prefs/settings window, MIDI OUTPUT device!!!!!! (for layering sounds in all kinds of ways)

- VST plugins as master-insert effects
- Master EQ - Lo, LowMid, HiMid, Hi - with on/off button, working  as a global (not changed by presets)
- Audio player
- Hammond organ emulation

Regards,
Jacek

EvilDragon wrote:
User123123123 wrote:

That's because when you play ppp there's nothing significant to hear when you press the key, really.

Hm that sounds right.

I think I had in mind an old piano that makes some constant noise regardless of how hard you hit a key. So that for ppp, the noise becomes louder compared to the strings sound. This could be included in the condition control, a change of the key noise velocity dependence.

How about a left/right BALANCE control? This would be useful to quickly layer an instrument model on one side, and another instrument on the other side.

Stereo effect adjustment please. Current default value is little weak.

Thats already there, under microphone setup

User123123123 wrote:

Not for STAGE.
Probably time for upgrade then :-)
How exactly is it done ? Do you have to manually place microphones to adjust it ?

jarosujo wrote:
User123123123 wrote:

Not for STAGE.
Probably time for upgrade then :-)
How exactly is it done ? Do you have to manually place microphones to adjust it ?

I started with Standard, so don't know 100% what you see^^. You can adjust microphones as you wish in standard and pro, AND you get a stereo width slider extra. And by the way one for sound speed below it .

Presets for the mic/output settings, like there is for velocity curve - would be very very useful, instead of having to "carry" them from one preset to another using freeze-paramteres.

There is an option for "Mics preset".  If you go to "Save preset as...", then choose "Preset type". 

I was just looking for this myself.

Ah, nice. Now how do you load them into your current preset ?

nm, found it!

Last edited by delt (19-03-2014 23:21)

Bug: as of version 5.0.1, the --midi <filename> commandline argument fails to load a midi file. It just makes pianoteq revert to the built-in demo.

This occurs at least on linux, can't test with windows or mac.

delt wrote:

Bug: as of version 5.0.1, the --midi <filename> commandline argument fails to load a midi file. It just makes pianoteq revert to the built-in demo.

This occurs at least on linux, can't test with windows or mac.

Just tested it on Mac (OSX 10.9.4) and it works correctly.

Works correctly on linux (64 bit) for me.

dracayr wrote:

Works correctly on linux (64 bit) for me.

Confirmed. Tested with an arbitrary midi-file from the download-area:

$ ./Pianoteq\ 5/amd64/Pianoteq\ 5 --play --midi overtherainbow.mid

$ ./Pianoteq\ 5/amd64/Pianoteq\ 5 --version
Pianoteq version 5.0.1/20140526 -- http://www.pianoteq.com
Copyright (c) 2014 Modartt.

DUH...sorry about that. The problem was with my script used to start pianoteq

i aer stipud :3

Hello everyone, it's been a while!

Just thought of two small feature requests that i personally would find useful, and probably others as well -- both concerning minor details in the user interface.

(1) The first one might seem a bit strange, but i noticed that the Mac version has the "close window" X button for native windows on the left (those windows managed directly by pianaoteq) following the mac interface, whereas the windows and linux versions have the close button on the right - following the interface of windows, and the default theme that comes with most linux distributions. However, i'm using a Mac-like theme in linux lately, and i've gotten used to having the close button on the left. It would be nice for the linux version of pianoteq to have an option for this.

(2) My second feature request is a systray/notify icon for pianoteq, so that it can run without mapping a window on the screen. Maybe two checkboxes "enable systray icon" and "start minimized to systray"? ...this way it would be possible to have pianoteq start automatically at normal desktop startup, without having to move the window out of the way each time and/or use a tool like devilspie or xdotool to do so.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.... and greetings to everyone, i haven't posted here in a while!

delt wrote:

(1) The first one might seem a bit strange, but i noticed that the Mac version has the "close window" X button for native windows on the left (those windows managed directly by pianaoteq) following the mac interface, whereas the windows and linux versions have the close button on the right - following the interface of windows, and the default theme that comes with most linux distributions. However, i'm using a Mac-like theme in linux lately, and i've gotten used to having the close button on the left. It would be nice for the linux version of pianoteq to have an option for this.

Hello delt,

I take this as an opportunity for throwing in my request once again: uniform placement of the close button in the Mac version so that it's also on the left side in the menus.

formerly known as Notyetconvinced

A simplified mode for microphones could be fun:
For example, it would be great to have a piano view with all the microphones together positioned correctly by the pianoteq's team, and then the user should only mix the volume of the different mics to his taste, without the need to change their place or the phase or nothing else. In fact, like an assisted microphone mode...
Actually, I feel that there is too much risk to alter the sound in a bad way if you change something to the microphones.

High quality mode option

I'm sure this must be an old topic - given the relatively low cpu hit of PT, small installation size, and on average more powerful processors currently, would it make sense to offer an HQ option? (Conversely, a "draft" quality mode could also be added). The HQ mode would not alter the sampling frequency (i.e. you would not be required to alter the sampling frequencies of all other surrounding software and hardware) - but it seems unlikely that the sound quality would not increase at least a bit if algorithms not requiring minimal computation were replaced with alternative ones requiring fewer shortcuts and preserving greater faithfulness. The idea would be to keep the latency the same at the same buffer setting at the expense of increased cpu load and installation size (if opted at installation), if possible. It would not be surprising if these less efficient algorithms already exist for testing and other purposes. 

There are a substantial number of plugins (and standalones) that offer the option to manually or automatically adjust the quality mode. In any event it would be interesting to know whether there are any algorithms that do offer slightly better sound. The sound is now getting so good I want even better!

Custom presets stack instead of just A/B.

Currently I can work simultaneously with two presets, A and B, I can switch and sync it. It's very easy to lose your settings accidentally. Also it would be better if I can make comparison between 3 and more presets. My suggestion:

1. Arbitrary long working presets stack instead of just A/B slots. Using listbox I can load arbitrary preset than stored in the stack. Initially the stack is empty.
2. Save button to place current settings in the stack. No overwrites.
3. Empty stack button.

Last edited by Ross (08-04-2015 21:17)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

I would like the ability to save/stick the Export WAV parameters, specifically Sample Rate and Bit Depth.  Everytime I export a file I have to keep changing from the default settings.  Should be simple enough. 
(maybe you can already do this but I have not figured it out)

honjr wrote:

High quality mode option

I'm sure this must be an old topic - given the relatively low cpu hit of PT, small installation size, and on average more powerful processors currently, would it make sense to offer an HQ option? (Conversely, a "draft" quality mode could also be added). The HQ mode would not alter the sampling frequency (i.e. you would not be required to alter the sampling frequencies of all other surrounding software and hardware) - but it seems unlikely that the sound quality would not increase at least a bit if algorithms requiring minimal computation were replaced with alternative ones requiring fewer shortcuts and preserving greater faithfulness. The idea would be to keep the latency the same at the same buffer setting at the expense of increased cpu load and installation size (if opted at installation), if possible. It would not be surprising if these less efficient algorithms already exist for testing and other purposes. 

There are a substantial number of plugins (and standalones) that offer the option to manually or automatically adjust the quality mode. In any event it would be interesting to know whether there are any algorithms that do offer slightly better sound. The sound is now getting so good I want even better!

Meridian Audio's new Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) sampling technology, which is being licensed worldwide, creates digital audio files that in fidelity surpass every recording technique in history, according to several sources I've read. MQA will probably usher in a new golden age of recording and listening. The files are roughly the size of a WAV CD file so can be streamed and stored easily. The can be played on virtually all existing digital audio devices, but to get the benefits of MQA encoding, either special hardware (MQA compatible DACs, such as Meridian's Explorer2 selling for USD 300) or MQA-decoding software on your computer is required. This means that Pianoteq could one day produce MQA-level digital audio output for playing and recording. To take advantage of MQA, a "super-realism" mode for PT might make sense. Even if the latency of such a mode turns out to be unacceptable for playing live, it would still be very useful for producing and recording music digitally. I also think that samplers will be able to take advantage of MQA technology.

This MQA sounds interesting though the 48kHz 24 bit audio covers the frequency and dynamic range of human hearing so I'm somewhat skeptical there is any room for improvement.   I'm also skeptical of putting my music in proprietary formats.  ... reading a little about MQA I find virtually no real technical info on it, but lots of hype.  I would guess it is a new compression algorithm.   Might be more efficient than ACC, OGG, MP3, but if you use high bit rates on these you get very close to lossless quality.

Last edited by varpa (10-04-2015 19:41)

scorpio wrote:

I would like the ability to save/stick the Export WAV parameters, specifically Sample Rate and Bit Depth.  Everytime I export a file I have to keep changing from the default settings.  Should be simple enough. 
(maybe you can already do this but I have not figured it out)

Modartt, Thank you!