Topic: Velocity curve for MAudio Keystation Pro88

Does anyone have preferred velocity curves for the Keystation Pro 88?  It's a bit too easy to hit 127 (and I am not a heavy player) and I was hoping to take some of the sting out by altering the velocity curve in Pianoteq.

Re: Velocity curve for MAudio Keystation Pro88

Maybe your Keystation 88 have sensors with a short dynamics range and reach 127 value, easilly cause the maximun value the sensor detect it's not much.  So if you hit the Keys wth a médium to Strong value, it reach the maxium the sensor can detect.

Try to adjust the graphic setting the extreme right side of the graphic bellow the 127 value.

Something like this (image on the right, ignore the left image):

PunBB bbcode test

The middle anchor point you can ignore,,or positioned upper or lower, the one gets better.

Last edited by Beto-Music (01-07-2013 23:44)

You yourself have the exact problem you encounter, so tailor a curve to your own liking.

Start say, by using the Moderately Fast curve. Since you're reaching 127 too easily (and never want to hear it again?), pull down the rightmost point some (until as hard as you can hit say Middle C and nearby is acceptable). Then you've got your basis for pulling down the points leftward of that output level (none should be higher than the rightmost, let's say).

Working in from the other end, if Moderately Fast's influence quietens as soft as you want to play overmuch, pull up the lowest inner point (your very leftmost point should be zero volume) until it's passably soft for you, then you have the basis for making points rightward of that as high or higher.

And of course make the leftward working-in-adjustments (louds) meet the rightward working-in-adjustments (softs) smoothly in the middle. See how that all results, for you.

I believe Pianoteq interpolates between points curvewise, not straightwise. And a click between existing points will insert a new point between, which can be dragged around until perfect and removed with a double-click.

But don't believe me till you've seen it work!

thanks for those replies.  I'll try that today.  It would be great to fix this as the Keystation's own velocity curves aren't up to the job.  It's a shame because it's a lovely keyboard in every other way.
THanks Custral and Beto-music.

Hi,

I'm using the same keyboard and I had the same problems since version 3.
In version 4 I used the keyboard calibration assistant and the KS88 built in velocity curve #5 and it ended up with a velocity curve (in pianoteq) like this:

X axis     Y axis
------------------
0             0
95           40
112         64
121         96
127         127

(Sorry I couldn't post the image).

You can try this as a starting point. Personally, I am quite happy with this setting, but take care that piano is not my main instrument so you may have a different taste and you will have to make some adjustments.

that's fab chickedog, I'll try it.  Thanks!

lovely.  This works!  Thanks.