Topic: Midi Controller on iPhone to manage Pianoteq ?

Hi, I'm looking forward to understand if it's possible to have an app on my iPhone that sends MIDI events to Pianoteq where I can assign to specific functions like: specific presets, use of the metronome (up/down the beats, ecc. ecc.).

I'm looking at MIDI Controller app for iPhone/iPad, will it work ?

I mean: if I tell Pianoteq to accept MIDI event from that MIDI Controller app on iPhone/iPad I think that I can also assign specific MIDI events, am I right ?

Thanks, Roberto.

Pianoteq Stage 5.0.1/20140527 - Pianodisc Quiettime Magic Star V. 4.0S - iMac Late 2009 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - 12GB RAM - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz - SSD OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240GB

Re: Midi Controller on iPhone to manage Pianoteq ?

Never had a Mac, so this is just discussion. If you HAVE some particular "app" actually in your hands, does it provide some way (Bluetooth, USB, DLNA, WiFi) of getting its MIDI into to a Mac? If so, ignore what follows.

Otherwise, LoopBeXX Developer Home Page has a module ipMIDI developed for MAC, which it says duplicates the function of its LoopBe1 and LoopBe30 modules.

And so? Those Windows modules can 'cable' playable MIDI signals to Pianoteq. You just have to tick the "Listen to all MIDI sources" box on the Options > Devices page.

Thus with Pianoteq you can listen to MIDI-sourced music, given a software that reads MIDI script and cranks it out to LoopBe. So with your iPhone or Tablet app generating MIDI, and sending it to MAC, Pianoteq should 'hear' the signals 'cabled' to it by ipMIDI (for example WinAmp for Windows can use LoopBe1 to transmit MIDI music to Pianoteq, and WinAmp for MAC may well do too via ipMIDI). Music does play. But will it (Pianoteq) also do what you want with your control signals?

I don't know, maybe some not all; just discussing the field as I know it to be. Have a look at the linked page's Products section, see if ipMIDI can get you further. For all I know, your OS may make redundant the Windows' OS's need for a WinAmp-like software to first feed ipMIDI and thence feed Pianoteq, so studying the ipMIDI FAQ will be time well spent (it's illustrated).

I imagine (having found you're using hardware that makes your piano a controller), your present aim is not to have to devote some of your piano's keys to sending not a note but a control signal, and hence the need for an app on a phone. However the central problem's the same - for instance, can a cc control Metronome in Pianoteq?

Instance by instance the answer to that may be no, as of now, and you'll have to plead your case with Modartt, who may then see it worthwhile to implement.

But sometimes too, you MAY be able to control something in Pianoteq that you want to, immediately. One of the answers to a recent thread clearly described the method, and it's easy.

Last edited by custral (26-06-2013 07:36)

Yes, I'm sure there's such a thing because I remember reading about it a couple of years ago. I don't have an iphone or an iAnything, so I can't tell you what it was. But a search of the app store should do the trick.

Latency may be an issue. Or it may not.

Last edited by doug (26-06-2013 01:41)

Thanks for the reply, I'll look further to see if it can help me.

I discovered to other options:
1) try a metronome app (to be installed on my iPhone/iPad) that is able to send its sound to my iMac, I'm thinking at Airplay technology
2) this I can already use it! Use the logmein app on my iPhone/iPad to connect remotely to my iMac and manage the Pianoteq interface, the ipad is better due to its larger display; this way I can use everything of Pianoteq features.

Maybe the second option will be my favourite one among other solutions.

Pianoteq Stage 5.0.1/20140527 - Pianodisc Quiettime Magic Star V. 4.0S - iMac Late 2009 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - 12GB RAM - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz - SSD OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 240GB

Maybe this one?

http://www.itouchmidi.com

Yes, I think iTouchMidi could be the solution!

but...I've just discovered that the Pianoteq metronome isn't assignable to specific MIDI Control !!!

Or am I wrong ?

Ok, iTouchMidi is the solution to manage Pianoteq from my iPhone/iPad (apart of the metronome that, actually, on this version of Pianoteq 4.5.1 isn't assignable to MIDI Control).

I already installed the server version my iMac and installed the free version of the ITM MidiLab on my iPhone, configured the port fowarding on my router (as I'm not @ home right now!) and it works!

I'm a little bit confused on which ITM client application I should buy as does exist some versions:
- ITM DJ
- ITM TILT
- ITM MATRIX
- ITM PAD
- ITM KEYS

I reasonably discard the DJ, TILT, KEYS versions.

The MATRIX version could be useful but it hasn't slider control assignable (I'm thinking on volume of Pianoteq, manage the tempo/volume of metronome (when it will be possible!)), I like in this version the chance to change the lablels of the buttons.

The PAD version is perfect (imho) but I'm not understanding if it's possible to change the labels (I think no).

What do you think ?

I notice that if you right-click the number field in the GUI's Metronome, you get a dialog asking you for the value to set. IIRC, the method to control via cc exactly needs you to do that as Step 1. Step 2 is then to press the key, button, whatever, on your controller, to send what your right-click followed by entering a number does via GUI. You've then 'trained' the cc Pianoteq uses for metronome speed to expect that value always, when you press that button on the controller.

My memory may not be wholly correct, but it's not far wrong either. Check by trawling back thru likely recent threads and their answers. Training the assigned cc for a single metronome speed is thus easy. A range of speeds is probably going to be more cumbrous, if my memory's fully correct, needing retraining the cc.

Last edited by custral (26-06-2013 09:56)

Hi, just to know if someone found a way to manage the metronome in Pianoteq with MIDI commands, I'm using ITM Pad on my iPhone and I can send MIDI commands to Pianoteq for various settings.

What I'm lacking is the possibility to setup a specific metronome value in Pianoteq, I can only start/stop it and increase/decrease its value by a specific rate (if I remember well 5 bpm), right clicking over a specific value in metronome on Pianoteq (e.g. 100) doesn't allow me to assign a specific MIDI command.

I'm using the 5.4.2 Pianoteq stage.

Someone found a solution to this ? I really need metronome when playing in particular for scales and arpeggios (I play the piano).

Thanks very much.