Topic: CME GPP-3: similar products? USB piano pedals

I'm interested in this product:
http://www.cme-pro.com/products-list/product-gpp.html

But since it seems old and not-available mostly everywhere, I would like to know if there are some valid alternatives
AND/OR
your opinion on that product (since I could find it somewhere anyway; I'm sending mails around), taking into account that I will use it via USB with Windows Seven and through Pianoteq.
For example, is it easily possible to do "assign to midi controller" with pianoteq and just press the pedal and you're done? etc.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Protopopov (01-05-2012 15:15)

Re: CME GPP-3: similar products? USB piano pedals

some discussion here: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=7

Protopopov wrote:

For example, is it easily possible to do "assign to midi controller" with pianoteq and just press the pedal and you're done? etc.

yes, you can do that

Last edited by doug (27-01-2012 22:57)

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I found that topic.
But it seems that it's impossible to find nowadays. So, any similar device?

Bump.
I have no money to buy a good new keyboard now, so I would like to find a USB pedal.
It must be USB because my keyboard just has ON/OFF sustain.

There are really no products like the CME GPP-3?
Only "jack" pedals?

Protopopov wrote:

Bump.
I have no money to buy a good new keyboard now, so I would like to find a USB pedal.
It must be USB because my keyboard just has ON/OFF sustain.

There are really no products like the CME GPP-3?
Only "jack" pedals?

Me too.
My sustain pedal is a mere switch, it is on 1/4 inch plug.
I want a 3 pedal set-up and want to NOT buy a whole new D/P or midi board
just to get that.
I suppose it will have to be USB and somewhere/somehow I might need some sort of a USB midi merge box to get its output into the midi note stream.

Not to play designer, but I am not at all sure that I need more than 127 levels (7 bits) out of a pedal, but if a 14 bit version is available for a little more money I would probably buy it.

http://www.ldlc.be/fiche/PB00121740.html

Those are ON/OFF pedals.
And as you can read on that page they're not available anyway.

they are available (maybe somewhere else), I own a 3 pedals model, but of course, those are switches only (and a bit noisy by the way) but there must be some other brands/models if you do some research on the net.

Last edited by Luc Henrion (01-05-2012 16:50)

There are many cheap-ish midi controllers that have two pedal inputs, usually one switch and one continuous controller (for example, the Behringer UMA25S).  You can also get something like the Novation Remote Zero, which I have, or the Behringer BCR2000.  You could get two MIDI Solutions pedal controllers, but it's way cheaper to just get a controller with additional pedal inputs.  You'll need to get a continuous sustain pedal like the Yamaha FC3 to plug into the "expression pedal" jack.

Please let me see if I got it. Your idea is to buy a cheap controller which does support continuous pedaling and use that together with my actual keyboard. So it goes like this:
* my actual keyboard => PC => Pianoteq;
* pedal => cheap controller => PC => Pianoteq assign MIDI Control;
Is this right?

It sounds like a nice workaround. Maybe too much stuff to plug / buy...

Protopopov wrote:

Please let me see if I got it. Your idea is to buy a cheap controller which does support continuous pedaling and use that together with my actual keyboard. So it goes like this:
* my actual keyboard => PC => Pianoteq;
* pedal => cheap controller => PC => Pianoteq assign MIDI Control;
Is this right?

It sounds like a nice workaround. Maybe too much stuff to plug / buy...

Yes, that's exactly it.  It seems bizarre, but buying an auxiliary keyboard is actually the cheapest solution.  You will always need to run your pedals through a MIDI controller -- the CME GPP-3 was just three pedals connected to a MIDI controller inside of a box.  I would recommend something like the Novation Remote Zero.  This way you get MIDI controls that might actually be useful to you (i.e. knobs, sliders, and buttons) instead of more piano keys, and it doesn't look silly.  Also, if you're concerned about having too many plugs lying around, make sure that the controller can run off of USB bus power -- most of them can.

Note that you can still use the pedal input on your main keyboard, so you will end up with three pedals.  You will of course have to assign different CC's (or MIDI channels) to each pedal.

Last edited by Coldsalmon (01-05-2012 22:02)

There has to be another, hopefully better, way of getting to 3 pedals.
The number of "keyboards" sold should lead to some interest in "piano".
That would seem to generate some market demand for a GPP-3 like unit.
Isn't ANYBODY making these in a basement or garage ?
I would guess 20 or 30 units at ~$100 could be profitable.

I sent an enquiry on this to midiworks, I haven't heard back from them yet.
For those who don't know they sell just about all the parts needed to build
electronic organs;  manuals, pedals, swell pedals, cabinet work, electronics, etc.

I have been searching on the web but have not found any other complete pedals - I use the GPP-3 myself and that's really good, have you actually looked if any are offered on ebay perhaps?

What I did find though is a kit for a pedal - it seems to be made for 4 pedals and you still need a lot since the kit only seems to include the electronics but maybe worth looking at?
http://tomscarff.tripod.com/foot_pedals...B_MEGA.htm

Hans

creart wrote:

I have been searching on the web but have not found any other complete pedals - I use the GPP-3 myself and that's really good, have you actually looked if any are offered on ebay perhaps?

What I did find though is a kit for a pedal - it seems to be made for 4 pedals and you still need a lot since the kit only seems to include the electronics but maybe worth looking at?
http://tomscarff.tripod.com/foot_pedals...B_MEGA.htm

Hans

Thanks Hans,
I will write to them to see if they have contacts(pun) for making up the actual pedals.

Come to think of it, I might be able to salvage an actual pedal set from a junked (real WOOD) piano.
We have  a very low end dealer in a neighboring town, he basically picks up used and neglected pianos for next to nothing, wipes them off with a damp rag and ask $1500 or so for the uprights, more for the grands.
He probably has a busted up pedals set.

Last edited by tractor_music (03-05-2012 16:04)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fatar_vfp315_s..._3fach.htm

Last solution : http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-triple...edal-56508

Had no idea that Fatar had a similar product to the GPP-3...
cool
Hans

That Fatar thing doesn't seem to be continuous pedals...

Hard work and guts!

Can't really find anything about that.... and on their website I only find this one:
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/VFP3.htm

Both are not USB btw

I got to this one, B&H also list it, but is out of stock.
http://www.able.audiomidi.com/VFP-3-10-...P9234.aspx
I don't  know if any of its outputs are continuous or all on/off - - checking.

There is a Canadian web store that is still showing the GPP-3, which I might get despite its rep.

Last edited by tractor_music (02-05-2012 22:58)

here's the users manual for the Fatar:

http://www.synthax.de/media/files/studi...ide_V1.pdf

looks like it's just switched and kind of a weird output configuration to boot

I have the CME. Very bug-prone (this is my second and it's starting to output incorrect values which is not helpful).

CME GPP-3 product is unreliable, be careful ...

creart wrote:

have you actually looked if any are offered on ebay perhaps?

There is no second-hand stuff. You can only find shops (not normal users) that sell the GPP-3 but all those don't actually have it (out of stock).

About all the links posted.
When you read things like:

- Can control the computer by the foot
- Great used for playing games, factory test, Instrument control

it means that it's a on/off pedal. You can also guess it by the photos.
The only USB not on/off stuff in the market are expression pedals, but those really doesn't suit for a piano pedal.
The other links that have been posted are "actual piano pedals" but they're all jack (not USB).

tractor_music wrote:

There is a Canadian web store that is still showing the GPP-3, which I might get despite its rep.

I've found that months ago and I also emailed them. They have only one unit, but they only ship to Canada.
So if you live there... well, you can get the last GPP-3 unit in the entire internet.
As you said, despite all the bad stories about that product.

Bump.
Who knows, maybe in these months something new has been put in the market.

Here is a GPP-3 that's on eBay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/cme-gpp-3-pedal...2334b78132

Nice find man, thanks.
I wanted to update this topic but then I just went "meh". But since you've bumped it, well, here's my update: I've finally bought a DP. With time I got more serious with piano playing so I decided to go with the real thing.
So, yeah, I've solved this issue of mine saving up some money and buying a DP. Plug-and-play, ready to go instrument, way better than a non-weighted keyboard with a GPP-3 attached to it and boot the PC every time.
Still, when I want, I can connect it to the PC and use Pianoteq or other software.

Anyway, this may be helpful to other which had a similar issue. So if anyone wants to buy that used GPP-3 macinjazz found, go for it, I don't need it.

The Fatar is distributed  & re-badged by StudioLogic.
It is also generally believed to be the Kawai 3 pedal unit that comes with their VPC-1.
That is VFP3-D in its original form (there being one "D" indicating one D_ynamic pedal; sustain)

The VFP3-2D is the one with pots on left and right, switch in center. 
Actually GETTING one is the DIFFICULT part

Hard to believe nobody has started up a "cellar shop" to make a decent 3 pedal midi "speaking" unit.
Perhaps there are only a dozen people wanting it

Fatar and Studiologic are the one and the same company, basically, AFAIK.

Last edited by EvilDragon (06-02-2014 15:42)
Hard work and guts!

VFP3 doesn't have USB.

Protopopov wrote:

VFP3 doesn't have USB.

Many/most keyboards take standard phono jack input for pedals, some can distinguish between switches and continuous (variable resistance) which is desirable for half pedaling.

Anyone used the Roland RPU-3 ?
Does that have switches or pots ?

Last edited by tractor_music (11-02-2014 17:30)

This thread is for people that have a keyboard that doesn't support continuous pedal and so need a USB pedals system.

Has anybody tried out Audiofront's MIDI Expression converter ?

http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

... it seems all we're looking for, but it could as well be a scam.

Last edited by Xain (27-04-2014 19:51)

I'm not sure this would help, but you could check the Yamaha P-105 with its 3 pedals (not a usb one) the LP5A. It's my guess but this could work with pianoteq.

it will cost you nothing to dream, and everything not to..

Xain wrote:

One way to try - BUY !

Should be safe enough with a credit card.

tractor_music wrote:

One way to try - BUY !

I will, and I'll let you know

Xain wrote:

I just spent some time browsing their forum.
Some problems, mostly minor.
At least it SEEMS that there are active users out there who have it and are trying different things with it - with several of them in various situations.

So, my guess is "NOT a scam"

Xain wrote:
tractor_music wrote:

One way to try - BUY !

I will, and I'll let you know

Anything to report ?

I get back to this problem once in a while, then I just PLAY and forget about it.

I went to a PTG meeting last week and started thinking YET AGAIN about 3 or more pedals.
I have seen a number of electronic keyboards built into piano cabinets and I got to thinking about lyres AGAIN and how nice it might be to have one with pedals just like a grand.
I could get a nice set of brass pedals for around $100, but that is ONLY the pedals.
They would need something to hinge on and electronics....  it would be expensive.

This is an interesting site for acoustic piano pedals and other acoustic piano parts;
http://www.vandaking.com/grand-piano-pedals.html

I'd built MIDI 3-pedal with continuous input using Roland RPU-3 and Arduino Uno for my Pianoteq 5.
Building converter box was relatively easy task, 1-day DIY and result is satisfying, it works perfect for me.

http://manoreken2.blogspot.com/2015/05/...teq-5.html

Hope this helps

manoreken2 wrote:

I'd built MIDI 3-pedal with continuous input using Roland RPU-3 and Arduino Uno for my Pianoteq 5.
Building converter box was relatively easy task, 1-day DIY and result is satisfying, it works perfect for me.

Hope this helps

It "helps"

Building it may be a 1 day project for YOU, scrounging around for all the bits and pieces would take me a week or three and probably put a couple of hundred miles on a vehicle.

PLEASE post further if you intend to build a batch of these, I have a rough idea of your likely costs and respect your right to make a fair profit if you want to do this as a part time business

SERIOUSLY, I think you have an immediate market HERE for 20 to 30, maybe hundreds once news spreads.
e.g. to pianoworld forums & beyond.

Last edited by aandrmusic (04-06-2015 18:16)

Hi aandrmusic,

> SERIOUSLY, I think you have an immediate market HERE for 20 to 30, maybe hundreds once news spreads.
> e.g. to pianoworld forums & beyond.

+1

There is definitely a market demand for this kind of product, but there is no supply. Strange!
I do not want to spend 3 to 5 hours to build another one, hope someone build and sell 3-pedal converter for you.

manoreken2 wrote:

Hope this helps

Great work! And nice documentation!
I like the idea of the 1M-pulldown-resistors to be protected against contact-problems of the poti in the pedal. I integrated it in my Arduino Nano project today (just had to plug the resistor into the breadboard :-)

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...69#p938169

I do not understand, what is the idea of the squareroot in your code:  float sensorSq = sqrt(sensor01);

Would you please be so kind to explain it to a programming noob like me?

cheers

Last edited by groovy (06-06-2015 20:03)

Hi groovy,

Yes, 1M resistor is there to `pull-down', to return 0V when TRS plug is not connected.

> I do not understand, what is the idea of the squareroot in your code:  float sensorSq = sqrt(sensor01);

I added a explanation of this sqrt on my blog page. Sqrt is there for pedal feeling improvement.

Last edited by manoreken2 (07-06-2015 05:09)

manoreken2 wrote:

Hi groovy,

Yes, 1M resistor is there to `pull-down', to return 0V when TRS plug is not connected.

> I do not understand, what is the idea of the squareroot in your code:  float sensorSq = sqrt(sensor01);

I added a explanation of this sqrt on my blog page. Sqrt is there for pedal feeling improvement.

Ah, thank you, manoreken2!
Yes, the response of the sustain-pedal can be calibrated with pianoteq alone, nothing else needed. I did this procedure with my Roland DP-10 this morning (after using just the defaults for a few weeks).

This is my result with the calibration-assistant:

Sustain pedal map DP-10

The assistant detects, that the output range of the Arduino is 0-127 and automatically suggests/sets point 1, 2, 4 and 5 in the curve.

The midpoint for half-pedalling (point 3) is a bit tricky with the assistant. I could not determine it very reproducibly with the assistant-help. So I measured the throw(?) of the Roland-pedal at the tip (26 mm) and pressed it down halfway (13 mm). The assistant then sets the midpoint to [60; 64].

It is a good idea, to finetune the midpoint further manually in pianoteq with [x; 64] for individual preference.

thnx

PS: The curve: [0, 10, 60, 117, 127; 0, 0, 64, 127, 127]

Last edited by groovy (07-06-2015 09:50)

If any of your keyboards have an assignable "expression" and/or "volume" jack, does anyone else just assign that to CC#64, and problem instantly solved for the continuous sustain pedal?

http://soundcloud.com/delt01
Pianoteq 5 STD+blüthner, Renoise 3 • Roland FP-4F + M-Audio Keystation 88es
Intel i5@3.4GHz, 16GB • Linux Mint xfce 64bit

Another expression pedal to usb converter.

USB MIDI expression pedal

I've downloaded and tried the software, which is really nice and intuitive. Interestingly, the signal can optionally be filtered which should help with noisy/old potentiometers. The company is from Sweden and seems respectable. They've replied to me very quickly and have confirmed that they ship worldwide. I've just ordered one.

Hi pianojoe,

Certainly, There are some variety of products of pedal to USB(MIDI) converter that connect one pedal.
While, I suppose, this thread is about CME GPP-3 equivalent product (see thread title ), that have continuous input 3-pedals (sustain, sostenuto and soft pedal) like the real piano. Strangely it seems this kind of product is very rare to find

Last edited by manoreken2 (08-06-2015 15:20)

Who likes to have three (up to eight) continuous controllers for a reasonable price, could think of this:

A merge of manoreken2's code with my Arduino Nano prototype, 2 hours of work and around 10 EURO of invest:     

Jack socket, 6.3mm stereo
3 x 0.27 €

Arduino Nano
5.70 €

shrink tube
1.55 €

:-)

groovy wrote:

Who likes to have three (up to eight) continuous controllers for a reasonable price, could think of this:

A merge of manoreken2's code with my Arduino Nano prototype, 2 hours of work and around 10 EURO of invest:     

Jack socket, 6.3mm stereo
3 x 0.27 €

Arduino Nano
5.70 €

shrink tube
1.55 €

:-)

I've been looking at your links but I am afraid I wouldn't know how to even start putting those things together, let alone program any code...

I've been looking at your links but I am afraid I wouldn't know how to even start putting those things together, let alone program any code...

It is not so difficult.

Just connect a pedal-poti with 5V, Ground and one of the analog inputs of the Arduino.

Connect the Arduino with a USB-cable to your PC. 

Install the software Arduino on your PC. It is free available for Linux and all other main Operating Systems.

Put my little program that I posted here in a text file and upload it to the Arduino nano hardware via USB (just one klick in the Arduino-Software).

Install an USB-to-MIDI program like 'ttymidi' or 'hairless' or others, that I don't know, on your Audio-PC.

That's basically all.

I agree, it isn't THAT difficult.
Ahh, but not difficult for WHO ?

Not all musicians have programming or soldering aptitudes, or inclination toward learning such skills.
I just have INERTIA

I just commented in Groovy's thread, I will probably pick what seem (to me) to be the best of Groovy's and Manoreken2's projects and HACK out my own.
(THANK YOU BOTH)

The THREE (or more) pedals has a LOT of APPEAL and once done it will probably motivate me to PRACTICE a lot more.

Yes, there are 8 analogue inputs on an Arduino - and pianoteq supports up to 8 pedals, SUCH a coincidence.