Topic: Casio PX330 information needed

I'm considering purchasing the PX330 after trying one out this past week. Can anyone tell me how Pianoteq sounds through the internal speakers, and how responsive Pianoteq is to the keyboard? Also, for owners of this keyboard or the PX130, how satisfied are you?

BTW, I have to say that I really like the brighter piano sound of the PX330 compared to that of the Yamaha's I'm used to using when software isn't feasible.

Michael

Last edited by Michael H (19-12-2011 16:13)

Re: Casio PX330 information needed

I have the older model (320) and I'm quite happy with its keyboard, but you can't expect a decent piano sound thru so little speakers, it's plain impossible to get real low frequencies. The level is also quite good but just a tad not enough if, say, you're playing with a choir...

Thanks Luc,

It helps for me to know that the keyboard feel is enjoyable from someone who's had the instrument for a while. In the store, it seemed as though rapid note repeats like trills were easier than on my Studiologic VMK188+, although the Fatar's action is better overall. The PX330 is about half the weight.

I expected as much as far as the bass response. I find myself sometimes doing jams with acoustic guitar players, and i thought the volume might do in those circumstances, or in a pinch for a wedding ceremony, or the like, with a flautist or violinist.

Also, I like the fact that plugging in a single small amp doesn't defeat the internal speakers, so a player still gets 'some' stereo sound, because IMO mono for piano loses too much. I wonder if you or anyone else has an opinion on that.

Last edited by Michael H (19-12-2011 18:09)

Ditto on that.

Stereo imaging is very important.  The little speakers in the Casio Privia models are just fine if you can sit a third bass or woofer speaker under the bench.  The sound gets spread out and you haven't changed the "foot-print" area of your set up.

The amazing thing about the newer Casio Privia models is their low overall weight and yet they still have an articulated and weighted action feel.

Lanny

Yes, as I get older the keyboards need to get lighter , and the Privias are a pleasant surprise.

It's hard to tell in a music store, but it seems as though the PX velocity response is better than on the similarly priced Yamahas, or maybe it just seems that way because the samples themselves are brighter in the first place.

[As an aside, why are music stores generally such miserable places to try out musical instruments? Many 88 note keyboards I try are hooked up mono (if they're hooked up at all), and VERY often there's no sustain/damper pedal attached. Weird sales ploy indeed.]

in fact I was surprised by the Casio when I was in Frankfurt a few years ago to decide on the purchase of a (not too expensive and lightweight) piano; I tested all exposed models by Yamaha, Korg and all, and, to my own surprise, I kept returning on the Casio stand. Many years ago, I would probably even not test it, such was the "toyish" reputation of Casio... well, as you see, I bought it and I'm happy with it ! There is one thing however: either I'm playing too heavily (???) either the keyboard itself is already ageing a little bit: some keys do exhibit a little noise now when I play fortissimo. To be honest, I'm carrying this keyboard a lot (no: really a lot !!!), only protected in a bag, so I'd expect it not to last as long as the keyboard residing in my studio... all in all, a "best buy" for me.

I have a PX-330 but I haven't used Pianoteq through it much at all yet. I do remember trying a Pianoteq electric piano, though, and it sounded good, however the main aspect that I noticed, after the PX-330's electric pianos, is the far superior sustain of Pianoteq, but that's not really testing the quality of the speakers.  Will comment on the acoustic Pianoteq sounds if/when I do some testing.

Greg.

Luc and Greg,

Everything is pointing me towards this keyboard, so I'm going to brave the holiday rush and try it out again today.

A noisy keyboard would be annoying, but if it happened after a year or two, I'd probably sell the keyboard and buy another. Who knows, maybe they'll even improve the Px series by then, although it already seems quite a bargain, especially given today's economy.

In spite of many good reviews, people do mention that the sustain could be longer. I guess satsfaction with that would depend on the type of music you're playing.

Personally, I'd like it if it were possible to adjust the reverb to get a bit more, instead of having just four basic settings. it MAY be possible to use external control to do this, since the midi implementation says that the keyboard responds to cc91 reverb send.

And of course, both of these are non-issues if used with Pianoteq.

I have a PX-330.. A fine, light lil critter... haven't tried with Pianoteq yet but should be fine... I have just been using an old GEM pRP7 mounted in a baby grand body and works well.

Casio is not bad for what it is for sure

I tried Pianoteq through the PX-330.  It sounds good, and quite loud. I haven't done a careful comparison of the loudness between Pianoteq and the internal sounds yet though.

With headphones (plugged into the PX, still listening to Pianoteq), it definitely sounds better - more highs and lows, for a fuller sound.  The sound through the speakers is a strident sound, emphasising the mids, I think. However, not extremely so.

Watch your levels. Using my laptop's line/headphone out, I have to have the volume at about half way to prevent clipping.

Overall I'd say it's most certainly usable, however of course I'd never recommend this as a sole method of listening to Pianoteq through loudspeakers.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (23-12-2011 09:37)

I forgot about the keyboard response. It seems fine, and in the past I've looked at how the velocity values change with key press force,  and it seems that I'm able to achieve the full range from 1 to 127 in a natural, linear fashion.  Using the default settings on the PX-330, it is easier for me to reach 127 than it is on my Kawai MP9000 on it's default setting.
(I prefer the default response of the PX-330 to the default response of the MP9000)

Greg.

Thanks Greg, that's great to hear! And good to know about the input levels.

Luc said the same thing, and I have to agree with both of you that the internal speakers alone would be inadequate in most situations. I think that might be the case for ANY internal speakers, unless it's one of these home console digital pianos with plenty of wattage and multiple speakers, unfeasible for live use. But it's very convenient to have those speakers anyway- they sure don't make the keyboard too heavy

If you get around to it, it would be interesting to hear how the sound volumes and fullness compare between the PX330's sounds and Pianoteq through the internal speakers. Just guessing, I'd figure Pianoteq to sound bigger and fuller, since the PX330 is pretty bright sounding.

How do you like the feel of the PX compared to your Kawai MP9000?

Last edited by Michael H (23-12-2011 18:53)

I agree - the PX-330 is very light, and that was one of the main reasons I bought it.

RE: the action, I think it has a lighter action than the MP9000. I never really get to play real pianos of any description,  except for very brief episodes in stores occasionally when I test things. ;^)  However, I think the MP9000 is probably a fair bit closer to the feel of a grand, however as someone who is more interested in playing, I suppose, pop/disco/funk style, I prefer the PX-330, and I wish I had bought something with an action like this a lot earlier.  Just for example, bashing out Supertramp chords never really felt right on the MP9000 - I had to really focus and it took a lot of energy - I felt like I was battling with the thing. (and it may well feel like that on a grand piano, too )
The PX is light and nimble - I can relax! (and it is graded, too, unlike the MP)

Greg.

Note that the volume of external sounds can not be adjusted with the PX-330's volume control.

Greg.

Greg,

Well, you can't have everything, right! I generally just use a C3 patch in Pianoteq, and since it's easy to have Pianoteq respond to patch changes, I'd probably create a handful of similar patches in Pianoteq, each at a different volume (and a few with different reverb levels too).

Since digital pianos in general don't offer a lot of controller functions, something like a Korg Nanokontrol would be useful too. It's an ingenious little device, small, powered by USB.

Michael

Yes, it would be good if Casio were to make a MIDI controller using their existing action. (although I think the PX-3 is supposed to be better for MIDI control than the PX-330, albeit with no speakers) 

It's a peaceful Christmas Eve here, so I'll get to the volume comparison after Christmas I think, especially as I don't know how to play any carols.   Through headphones, though, Pianoteq seems to be similar in level to the internal sounds. I have in the past played pre-recorded music through the Casio, though, and felt that the level was a bit low compared to the internal sounds. I'll look at this closer at some stage.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (24-12-2011 04:45)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I think the internal sounds could be a bit louder, although I think I heard some distortion even from the internal sounds, at max volume.  I also suspect they've tailored the EQ to optimise the sound through the speakers.  Anyway,  I think it is plenty loud enough for what it is.

Greg.

(just to make myself totally clear - I think the internal sounds are a bit louder than Pianoteq is, when I have Pianoteq playing at approximately maximum signal level into the PX-330. This could partly be due to the PX-330's EQ, and EQing Pianoteq might help)

yes, if you play really fortissimo, even the internal sound can distort, more so in the low range, as expected from such small speakers. And, depending on the sound car you use for Pianoteq, you might have to adjust the level quite a lot. But that's normal...

In the store there was a PX130 above a PX330. The sound I heard from the PX130 was WAY better with more presence and bass, and the only reason I can think of for that is that the PX130 was about 8-10 inches from the wall behind it, and the PX330 was close to 2 feet from the wall.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the sound on these instruments comes out the front, audience side. Good for the audience, not so good for us, unless we supplement the sound with an amp(s), which we'd probably do in most live situations anyway.

Personally, I'd prefer the speakers to be top facing, but this keyboard does so much, that this is a minor thing.

Good point. I still haven't listened to the PX-330 through the main "front" speakers.

Well, I just bought a PX-330 today! I'm looking forward to unpacking it, and trying it out in a decent listening environment (home ), probably tomorrow, and I'll post back with an initial take then.

Congrats! I hope it goes well.

There's a small negative thing I feel I should mention, though, in case it saves you time.
(I didn't think of it before). If you will be using USB MIDI, I strongly urge you to disable internal sounds, because otherwise you will probably notice sloppy MIDI timing.  (a bit of latency).  This is done in the MIDI settings. ("Local Control").  A quicker workaround is to simply select a preset on the PX-330 that doesn't use the sample layer morphing processing.  (such as an electric piano). I.e - just press the electric piano button and that's it.

If you will be using the standard MIDI connection, I don't think you will have a problem.

I haven't reported this to Casio, because I doubt whether I'll ever need to use both the internal sounds and the external sounds simultaneously. It's a non-issue for me.

Greg.

I didn't detect a difference between MIDI via USB or not... there is always some latency, it's inherent to MIDI and to any software instrument, including PianoTeq but the sound card has a dominant role in this latency, and it can be very, very small with good drivers.
BTW, you won't be able to use USB MIDI on a 64 bit platform, there are no drivers... yet? Blame Casio for this !

Luc,
If you haven't already, try pressing the electric piano preset button. You might notice an improvement. (but as I say, only using USB, at least I think so)

I'm not the only one to notice this problem - at least one other person has encountered this over on the Pianoword forum.  Disabling Local Control fixed their problem.

It's always possible that Casio have rolled in a firmware update of course.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (28-12-2011 10:51)

maybe that's because mine is a 320... but for the same reason as you (never internal + external sounds together)  I didn't care either ;-) And I've been using MIDI via USB recently for a dozen of performances without noticing any provblem...

Last edited by Luc Henrion (28-12-2011 11:46)

The 320 is a COMPLETELY different instrument I think you'll find.  It doesn't even do the sample layer morphing - that was introduced in the new range (130/330/PX-3/730/830 etc etc)

Greg.

Thanks for the tip Greg, I read it after I had already played for quite awhile, and I didn't notice sloppy timing, but I was pretty much just zoning out on what a cool instrument this is.

I checked out a number of things:

1) A/B-ed  it to my Studiologic VMK188plus as far as keyboard action and responsiveness with Pianoteq. The Casio reaches higher velocities easier with Pianoteq, a little too easy for me right now, meaning some velocity curve adjusting in Pianoteq. Both keyboards feel quite good to me. Initial impression is that I like the Fatar a bit more, it seems deeper, and I can dig in a bit more. This may entirely change with a new velocity curve. If possible I'd like to replace the Fatar, because it's electronics are flaky.

2) The main two piano sounds are excellent. I've been using Yamaha's almost exclusively for live digital piano sounds: Motif's, P60, P85, and at one point an S90es. The overall brightness of the Privia sound is a welcome change, and I'm thinking it will sound outstanding live.

3) I tried Luc's suggestion of using a single amp along with the internal speakers- it sounds terrific! This is just using a small Peavey KB1 amp with 20 watts RMS and weighing about 17 pounds at a low volume so things blend, emphasizing the bass.

4) I hooked up Pianoteq to the internal speakers of the Privia, going midi out to my netbook via USB (tried standard midi to USB also)  then using either netbook onboard sound or an E-mu 0204 external soundcard back into the Privia. They both sounded quite good through the Privia internal speakers, however Pianoteq didn't have as much bottom end as the internal sounds of the Privia. There was also low level ground noise from the speakers until I hooked up a hum eliminator in series, then sound was super clean. So, it's good to be aware that this type of hookup creates a ground loop (at least it did for me, whether using an AC adapter on the computer or not).

These are just first impressions, but I'm already loving this keyboard!

Luc Henrion wrote:

maybe that's because mine is a 320... but for the same reason as you (never internal + external sounds together)  I didn't care either ;-) And I've been using MIDI via USB recently for a dozen of performances without noticing any provblem...

Luc,

Have you figured out an easy way to do patch changes to midi devices with the Privia?

I'm glad you like it - thanks for the feedback.

I'm just thinking about the low end EQ issue.  It may be that in order to achieve a sound with the right amount of bass, the overall volume will have to decrease, and that could be an issue.  I.e, it's conceivable that the input to the PX-330 will clip unless the overall signal level is dropped, and hopefully it won't have to be reduced to such an extent that the overall volume is insufficient.

Greg.

to Michael: no, it wasn't necessary for me, I had to play a "basso continuo" of pieces by Vivaldi and Monteverdi, so I only needed 2 different sounds: PianoTeq for... the harpsichord (!), and a "church organ" provided by "the virtual organ company" - available here, by the way:
http://www.virtualorgancompany.com/

skip wrote:

I'm glad you like it - thanks for the feedback.

I'm just thinking about the low end EQ issue.  It may be that in order to achieve a sound with the right amount of bass, the overall volume will have to decrease, and that could be an issue.  I.e, it's conceivable that the input to the PX-330 will clip unless the overall signal level is dropped, and hopefully it won't have to be reduced to such an extent that the overall volume is insufficient.

Greg.

Greg,

I believe you're right, and there's a limit to what the low wattage  internal speakers are capable of, especially with bass, but the inputs, surprisingly, seem to be pretty hot.

Luc Henrion wrote:

to Michael: no, it wasn't necessary for me, I had to play a "basso continuo" of pieces by Vivaldi and Monteverdi, so I only needed 2 different sounds: PianoTeq for... the harpsichord (!), and a "church organ" provided by "the virtual organ company" - available here, by the way:
http://www.virtualorgancompany.com/

Luc,

That sounds like an interestingly different type of performance from my perspective, since I normally do weddings, parties, pop/jazz gigs, etc.

Nice organs! There's a decent harpsichord in the Privia I found, but nowhere near the quality of Pianoteq's.

It was interesting for sure, and not so common for me either: yesterday I was playing piano (a real one...) with a singer for covers of french artist Claude Nougaro; much more difficult, believe me! Maurice Vander is a terrific pianist, listen to "une voix, dix doigts", you'll see what I mean ! ;-)

Last edited by Luc Henrion (30-12-2011 16:49)

Luc,

Very nice! Thankyou. There's so much good music, and so many good musicians that we never get to hear unless someone introduces us.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Michael

Michael - just curious - have you been able to boost the bass enough?  It seems that if the internal sounds are being EQ'd for the internal speakers, that this EQ is not being applied to the line in. It would have been ideal if there had been an option to apply the same EQ to the line in, although admittedly that's a rather subtle detail for a keyboard of this style and price.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (03-01-2012 07:38)

Greg,

I haven't tried anything other than a very basic bass boost yet which didn't do much, but I'll probably attempt more in the next few days. As you say, Casio must have tailored the sound and speaker EQ. They did a nice job, but even they didn't get a LOT of bass from those small speakers. So I'm not expecting miracles.

It would help matters perhaps if Pianoteq's EQ was a little more sophisticated- it's difficult or impossible to adjust narrow frequency bands. Then again, it could just be my lack of expertise, or else the Pro version has more fine control.

It sounds to me as though Casio is cutting some lower midrange along with boosting the bass, so that they can get more volume without distortion. Does that sound right to you?

Michael H wrote:

It sounds to me as though Casio is cutting some lower midrange along with boosting the bass, so that they can get more volume without distortion. Does that sound right to you?

I did some more listening, and you're really stretching my abilities now. I simply don't know. All I know is that when I switch to headphones, the sound is fuller with more bass, and generally a lot better, as you'd expect.

Greg.

Greg,

I spent some time with Pianoteq going through the PX330 internal speakers today and I wasn't able to get a lot of bass no matter what I did with EQing. I did notice some improvement by moving the microphones around a bit, but not all that much.

In contrast to that, a small pair of Logitech computer speakers that I recently bought (2.5wattsx2) gets a much more even and full range response except it's at a lower volume.

This leads me to believe that the PX330 speakers don't have a linear response pattern, and that trying to get Pianoteq to sound solid through those speakers would be pretty time consuming. Maybe one of these days...

Last edited by Michael H (06-01-2012 00:35)

I'm quite sure that the Casio amps + speakers system is not "neutral", and that they deliberately removed some low-end to be able to get more level, there are some laws of physics you can't avoid: more low = less level, more level = less low, that's so simple ;-)

Yes, I too noticed that boosting the bass in Pianoteq didn't seem to have much effect.

Greg.