Topic: Roland RPU-3 Pedal + Fatar VMK-188 fix via Plogue Bidule

Hi, first post. Got a lot of useful keyboard info, from this forum, so am posting back.

Finally settled on a Fatar VMK-188 piano, after returning a Numa Nano. It uses the same graded action as the Doepfer keyboards (TP/40GH) for about half the price. Quality seems fine - perhaps because it was made by Fatar in its home country of Italy - the Numa Nano was made in China.

The only problem was getting 3 pedals. I settled on the Roland RPU-3, which was solid, but sometimes sent an errant CC value of 127. So, I wrote a filter in Plogue Bidule, to simply discard the CC values of 127. Works well. I posted the .bidule patch to muse.com/Plogue

The Plogue filter adds about 2 millisecond delay, which is unnoticeable. Also, tried Pure Data, which added a very apparent 20 millisecond delay- so, forget using PD.

Meanwhile, am overjoyed with tweaking the Pianoteq Carbon setting.

Last edited by Musesum (29-11-2011 01:36)

Re: Roland RPU-3 Pedal + Fatar VMK-188 fix via Plogue Bidule

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I've got a VMK188+ myself and it's by far the best feeling keyboard I've ever had, but it has a few idiosyncrasies, which I've found ways to work around for the most part. I feel it's worth the effort.

There's a sustain issue on some of these keyboards including mine, that's been documented elsewhere, where CC64 messages of either 0 or 127 are randomly generated. My workaround has been to use an Anatek Pocket Pedal attached via the midi out port rather than use the Studiologic's pedal jacks.

Not all the VMK's do this, and hopefully yours isn't one of them.

Regards,
Michael

I have a couple of other solutions to this issue, probably due to the electronics in the VMK188plus not de-bouncing the pedal properly. What happens is that when the pedal is lifted off and the MIDI data values approach the limit (0 or 127), inexplicably a rogue value of the other limit (127 or 0) is sent. So if the pedal is controlling a piano sustain, suddenly the sound goes to max sustain just when you lift your foot off.

The RPU-3 is a nice unit, capable of transmitting the full range [0,127] of values. Not only is it a great treat in Pianoteq (with sostenuto, Satie sounds wonderful), but it has potential as a versatile MIDI controller for other instruments (such as Sample Modeling's tasty Ms. Sax S).

One solution I devised uses virtual MIDI cables to route the MIDI data into the MIDIox utility (Windows). It's rather confusing, and I succeeded only in converting the MIDI channel number of the pedal controller data value of 127 to another MIDI channel. This is fine for Pianoteq, as you can have it listen on a different MIDI channel, so the 127's are ignored. Unfortunately it doesn't address the problem, is messy, and in different set-ups could be a hidden gotch-ya.

The problem is that we need to distinguish 127's that are genuine data from those that aren't, which means knowing what the previous values were. We can then check if a 127 is likely genuine (previous value large) or unlikely (previous value small), so we can reject a 127 after a 0 as 'impossible' operator input. In fact, rather than reject it, I retransmit it as a zero value (just to make sure!).

The solution below uses a script in LUA to do that. The script is loaded into the VSTLua client (available here - http://www.hermannseib.com/VstLua/index.html). VSTLua is loaded into an instance of the Cantabile Lite VST host, and Pianoteq is loaded into the host's rack immediately following, so that Pianoteq gets the MIDI stream via VSTLua. VSTLua scripting can be done in any plain text editor, and loaded into the client as described in the link above. Despite the version number, this script seems stable.

----------------------
--fix Roland RPU-3 pedals to suppress rogue output
--     specious 127 controller data values generated when pedal comes up to rest position
--     method: check data stream for the successive values of 0, 127 (ie 'impossible' operator input)
--     unfortunately 127 may be emitted when the previous value is > 0 and <= 15, at least for my pedals

vprint("\nDebounce Roland RPU-3 pedal unit   \n")
vprint("\tkills rogue value of 127 emitted when pedal is lifted off\n")

pedals = {64, 66, 67, 69}    -- MIDI codes for pedals - change to suit
lastdata = {0, 0, 0, 0}    -- store the previous data value. The size of this list = size of pedals list
bounce = 15        -- if your pedals need less de-bouncing, reduce this

function midiEventCb(midiEvent)         -- DO NOT CHANGE THIS FUNCTION'S NAME
    if (midiEvent.type==midi.cc) then
        local n = ispedal(midiEvent.byte2)
        if (n>0) then                            -- it's one of our pedals
            if (midiEvent.byte3==127) then        -- and could be rogue
                if (lastdata[n] > bounce) then    -- but probably ok if outside bounce limit
                    lastdata[n] = midiEvent.byte3
                    sendMidi(midiEvent)   
                else                            -- in bounce range -->  assume pedal is up
                    midiEvent.byte3 = 0
                    sendMidi(midiEvent)
                    lastdata[n] = 0
                end
            else
                sendMidi(midiEvent)
            end
        else
            sendMidi(midiEvent)
        end
    else   
        sendMidi(midiEvent) 
    end
end

function ispedal(x)
    local ndx = 0
    for k=1, table.getn(pedals) do
        if (pedals[k] == x) then
            ndx = k
            break
        end
    end
    return ndx
end
--------------------

The first thing to note is that it is worse than we thought (!). It turns out that rogue 127's can be preceded by numbers other than 0 - for my combination of keyboard/pedals that can be as high as 15. The identifier 'bounce' in the script sets this as an upper limit. You can change this to suit - operate the pedals and observe in Pianoteq's MIDI monitor window what values precede the rogue 127's.

Second, the script hard-codes the standard MIDI controller numbers for pedals. If you prefer to use different MIDI controller numbers, use can substitute them in the bracketed list. Also, if you have only 1, 2 or 3 pedals, you need only put 1, 2 or 3 numbers in that list - it will also make the script a little faster. (How much I don't know - I haven't benchmarked anything here).

If you decide to edit the pedal controller numbers list **you must edit the lastdata{} list also**. Both lists must have the same number of items in them.

Enjoy!

Does the current (2016) Roland RPU-3 have any issues working with the Roland A88? Is the issue mentioned here also a problem when the RPU-3 is used with roland products?

hyper.real wrote:

I have a couple of other solutions to this issue, probably due to the electronics in the VMK188plus not de-bouncing the pedal properly. What happens is that when the pedal is lifted off and the MIDI data values approach the limit (0 or 127), inexplicably a rogue value of the other limit (127 or 0) is sent. So if the pedal is controlling a piano sustain, suddenly the sound goes to max sustain just when you lift your foot off.

The RPU-3 is a nice unit, capable of transmitting the full range [0,127] of values. Not only is it a great treat in Pianoteq (with sostenuto, Satie sounds wonderful), but it has potential as a versatile MIDI controller for other instruments (such as Sample Modeling's tasty Ms. Sax S).

One solution I devised uses virtual MIDI cables to route the MIDI data into the MIDIox utility (Windows). It's rather confusing, and I succeeded only in converting the MIDI channel number of the pedal controller data value of 127 to another MIDI channel. This is fine for Pianoteq, as you can have it listen on a different MIDI channel, so the 127's are ignored. Unfortunately it doesn't address the problem, is messy, and in different set-ups could be a hidden gotch-ya.

The problem is that we need to distinguish 127's that are genuine data from those that aren't, which means knowing what the previous values were. We can then check if a 127 is likely genuine (previous value large) or unlikely (previous value small), so we can reject a 127 after a 0 as 'impossible' operator input. In fact, rather than reject it, I retransmit it as a zero value (just to make sure!).

The solution below uses a script in LUA to do that. The script is loaded into the VSTLua client (available here - http://www.hermannseib.com/VstLua/index.html). VSTLua is loaded into an instance of the Cantabile Lite VST host, and Pianoteq is loaded into the host's rack immediately following, so that Pianoteq gets the MIDI stream via VSTLua. VSTLua scripting can be done in any plain text editor, and loaded into the client as described in the link above. Despite the version number, this script seems stable.

----------------------
--fix Roland RPU-3 pedals to suppress rogue output
--     specious 127 controller data values generated when pedal comes up to rest position
--     method: check data stream for the successive values of 0, 127 (ie 'impossible' operator input)
--     unfortunately 127 may be emitted when the previous value is > 0 and <= 15, at least for my pedals

vprint("\nDebounce Roland RPU-3 pedal unit   \n")
vprint("\tkills rogue value of 127 emitted when pedal is lifted off\n")

pedals = {64, 66, 67, 69}    -- MIDI codes for pedals - change to suit
lastdata = {0, 0, 0, 0}    -- store the previous data value. The size of this list = size of pedals list
bounce = 15        -- if your pedals need less de-bouncing, reduce this

function midiEventCb(midiEvent)         -- DO NOT CHANGE THIS FUNCTION'S NAME
    if (midiEvent.type==midi.cc) then
        local n = ispedal(midiEvent.byte2)
        if (n>0) then                            -- it's one of our pedals
            if (midiEvent.byte3==127) then        -- and could be rogue
                if (lastdata[n] > bounce) then    -- but probably ok if outside bounce limit
                    sendMidi(midiEvent)   
                else                            -- in bounce range -->  assume pedal is up
                    midiEvent.byte3 = 0
                    sendMidi(midiEvent)
                    lastdata[n] = 0
                end
            else
                sendMidi(midiEvent)
            end
        else
            sendMidi(midiEvent)
        end
    else   
        sendMidi(midiEvent) 
    end
end

function ispedal(x)
    local ndx = 0
    for k=1, table.getn(pedals) do
        if (pedals[k] == x) then
            ndx = k
            break
        end
    end
    return ndx
end
--------------------

The first thing to note is that it is worse than we thought (!). It turns out that rogue 127's can be preceded by numbers other than 0 - for my combination of keyboard/pedals that can be as high as 15. The identifier 'bounce' in the script sets this as an upper limit. You can change this to suit - operate the pedals and observe in Pianoteq's MIDI monitor window what values precede the rogue 127's.

Second, the script hard-codes the standard MIDI controller numbers for pedals. If you prefer to use different MIDI controller numbers, use can substitute them in the bracketed list. Also, if you have only 1, 2 or 3 pedals, you need only put 1, 2 or 3 numbers in that list - it will also make the script a little faster. (How much I don't know - I haven't benchmarked anything here).

If you decide to edit the pedal controller numbers list **you must edit the lastdata{} list also**. Both lists must have the same number of items in them.

Enjoy!