Topic: PNOscan in TP40WOOD

I am absolutely amazed at the profound effect of putting the PNOscan strip into the TP40WOOD keybed has had on the touch feel, the sound when played through PianoTeq and the overall playing experience of this combination.

I was so ignorant of how good PianoTeq was supposed to sound! And how the TP40WOOD was supposed to feel! I was also woefully ignorant of the lengths to which PianoTeq, QRS and Fatar had actually gone to in designing such excellent products. I shamelessly flaunt them as a testement to the hard work that all involved in each of these companies have put in to produce their respective masterpieces.

I know Fatar have had their problems, but the thought that has gone into the design of all their various keybed types is awesome. If anyone else out their is even remotely considering replicating what I have done, I would say GO FOR IT!! I do not regret a single penny nor moment spent on the project. The rewards far outway both.

On the subject of QRS PNOscan and it's superior advantages over any other keyboard midi-sensing device out there, I would like to enlighten you to the calibration system.
There is an initial auto key height position, key down position calibration that is performed after the strip is in place. But then after this, you can set all the midi-send parameters to the exact timing of your piano/keyboard action. I will post a link shortly of a video demoing me playing the TP40WOOD keybed after syncing the timing. Now the hammers hit the string in PianoTeq when the hammer in The TP40WOOD hits it's stop (Key trigger parameter adjustment in PNOscan software). The hamer falls to rest on the action at the same time PianoTeq's hammer falls back (Key release parameter adjustment). And there is a beautfully easy repetition! (Key retrigger parameter adjustment)

Basically, you can customise PNOscan to most any keyboard. I heartily recommend PNOscan to anybody. I know it's not particularly 'cheap', but BOY IS IT WORTH IT!!!

I would like to personally thank all who have supported me through this project, on the forum, and via e-mail. I'd like to tahnk Modartt, QRS, Gabor of Gabor-Pianos (Cheshire UK), Lanny Davis, Wim (QRS Rep. for Europe), Fatar/Studiologic, Thomann.de, Bob my piano Tutor, and my darling wife for all her tolerance and generosity (and for allowing me to turn our living room into a temporary workshop!). I hope I have not missed anybody out!!! If I have, I thank you now.

TP40WOOD keybed is available to purchase at midi-store in the US. I'm not sure, but I think it's about $600US. 20% discount is available as most of you know for PNOscan (although I paid full whack!). Even if you bought a £3000 Nord, you wouldn't get a midi strip in it like this!!! I have spent in total around £2000UK and have a custom grand!

You do the math!!!

Regards,

Chris

Re: PNOscan in TP40WOOD

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci...5AAB24!651

I'd love to see what shell could be used other than the Empty Baby Grand Shells from the early 90's I've seen for 88 note controllers.
Do you plan on housing the keybed...?

Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....

teamsterjim wrote:

I'd love to see what shell could be used other than the Empty Baby Grand Shells from the early 90's I've seen for 88 note controllers.
Do you plan on housing the keybed...?

I'll use the housing that came with it! (I bought the NUMA Nero )

So you buy a Nero then add the Story & Clark PnoScan...
I played many controllers at NAMM everyyear, and the Kawaii MP series was always my favorite, but 3 years ago I really liked the Nero.
MY problem has been I use 88r's for synths and as a Master MIDI controller so the crappy M Audio KS88's have been fine with me, but every 2 years it seems the jeys from 6 nights a week start triggering maxVal and lose their softer contact.........
But I now have a LividCode and Deopfer Fader Box, so I think the Nero will be my choice next.
Thanks for sharing...

Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....

You're welcome

Saturday (yesterday) and today (24-25th September[2011]), I took all the caps off of the tops of the white keys (they'd basically started to fall off!). I Adjusted the height of the PNOscan strip accordingly and found it to be the best position for secure attachment to the TP40WOOD frame. Then (this morning) it took me literally half an hour to chisel off the wooden blocks on the end of the black key triggers. Reassembled, calibrated and this is the result...

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details..._25.09.mp3

I intend to make detailed instructions with pics etc. which I can then send to anyone who wishes to do the same. These instructions would not replace QRS's PNOscan inatallation instructions, which i would recommend you read thoroughly first, but would be an aid to the installation into the TP40WOOD (NUMA Nero) action frame.

Gadgety has expressed an interest and if anyone else would like more info, contact me via the forum e-mail service.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (25-09-2011 17:28)

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...yliced.mp3

after painting the wooden triggger tops with acrylic, PNOscan's optical sensors are given a reliable and consistent reflective surface on all keys. This has resulted in a perfectly uniform keyboard (whites finished yesterday, blacks today).

Wim, the European rep. for QRS has been extremely helpful to me. He's even sent me two more sensors, cables etc. completely free of charge. Lanny who used to work for midi9 has also been in contact with me. I am grateful for their support.

I realise now that, had I known what I know now, this project could have been completed within a few days! Really! I guess this has been a pioneering work in the sense of installing the sensors with the NUMA Nero's TP40WOOD specifically so there has been an element of trial and error. I wish to make the task for others who wish to do the same, easier. There's no point in others having to do it blind so to speak. In other words, I made the mistakes so you don't have to!

1. wooden plugs cut and glued between original  triggers and tops painted white

2. sides of wood plug/triggers blackened

3. PNOscan tested and installed using original sensor strip screws and clips and track holders supplied with PNOscan kit

4. Calibration

That's it!

Will post demo whwn blacks done.

Warm regards,

Chris

after a long no show on PianoTeq, I thought I'd better pop in!

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...lation.mp3

the link, a rough .mp3 demo of the keybed prepared for final calibration/regulation process. I had a real tough time trying to level perfectly black and whites, but with the help of Lanny and Wim, both of QRS/Midi9, I have been able to work out a perfect solution.

This does mean that the project is a little more complicated than I thought, but with persistence it can be done. For me, the hardest part of this project has been the constant need to problem solve, but it's paid off now and if I ever needed to repeat the excercise (minus many, many hours) I am now able with much greater ease (and experience!). The calibration perfecting is time consuming and intensive, for me anyway, but I've learnt a technique which will have the keyboard 'perfect'. It will perfectly faithfully reproduce what I play like a pen perfectly translates from the hand every movement to paper. That means that any inperfections in the musical performances/recordings will be my mistakes and cannot be at all blamed on anything else!

more soon,

Regards,

Chris

Greetings!

To find a method of calibration that was NOT hit and miss was a MIGHTY challenge for me. However, this evening I finally got the result I had been looking for. It is a VERY time consuming technique, but I'll let the results speak for themselves...

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...e_beta.mp3

I need to find a ball-park global increment for the blacks. Once I've found the correct increment, I can do exactly to them what I have to the whites.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (06-10-2011 22:19)

I have found that subtracting an increment of 96 from the 'at rest' position of the black keys is giving good results so far. I have sync'd a group of three successive blacks and their adjacent whites (F-B inclusive). I will do further testing shortly and when carried throughout the whole range, I'll post a demo (if I'm not tempted to demo a sneak-peak mean time!). This is a development on the process mentioned in the previous post. I'm about to go back to work on this with fresh ears, but as I said before somewhere, there is a certain sound that a key/note makes at any of it's velocities (especially noticeable in the low to mid+ range) when it's set 'spot on'. I think it may sound a little weird to most ears when completely 'in' as ther will be absolute faithful (+/-)reproduction of the PianoTeq models. We're so used to idiosynracies in musical instruments that when purer sound approaching 'perfection' is heard, it sounds synthetic. Of course, most realise the importance of the human element (ever tried to listen to regimented midi files for any length of time???), but do we realise that diversity in this created realm is an intended norm! I know personally the 'pursuit of perfection', as is evidenced in my many often lengthy posts. But of late, I also desire to enjoy the journey, 'cut myself a little slack' if you will!

I digressed!

I'll report back soon,

Regards,

Chris :,

Chris,

This most recent mp3 sounds really good. Thanks for continuing to post these. I don't know anything about the PNOscan hardware, so I can't ask intelligent questions. But I'm trying to understand. So...

Are you essentially adjusting the velocity\strike force ratio? Or is it more a matter of changing the ratio of actual force to sensed force? (I don't know the number and location of the sensors on each key of your keyboard.)

Is there a way to come close to the same adjustments by changing the values of the parameters in PianoTeq pro? (Given how it has an adjustable vel curve and lets the user set the hammer hardness note by note.)

Are you playing through a Mac computer?

Hi Jake,

Essentially, in making a compenstory subtraction of '96' from the black key's 'at rest' measurement figure, I'm telling the PNOscan computer to 'make more shallow in ascent' the black's velocity curves. As I imagine it in my head, I 'fake' the black key heights to give them a shallower curve.

I tried using hammer hardness to level the original strip, but found that to be unworkable. The beauty of PNOscan inconjuction with the software (WinNessie) is that yu don't loose range. In otherwords, when making adjustments at the 'keyboard/sensor strip computer' end rather than by the parameters in PianoTeq, you are on the 'right side' of the setup. If your keyboard/sensor strip is not calibrated correctly, then no amount of adjustments in PianoTeq can fully and perfectly compensate.

I'm using a Windows Vista laptop.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (09-10-2011 10:21)

I've mentioned this program on this forum before, but I don't know if I've mentioned it to you. A Windows-only program that lets you edit the velocity response of a keyboard note by note. Requires Midi-yoke, but the setup time is well worthwhile and the loading is transparent in a host once the initial setup is done if you create a template:

http://users.belgacom.net/gc813607/index.html

It greatly expands the possible variations in the response to velocity. Hard to believe, really, that this is the only program out there that can do what it can do. I don't know if it will help you to do what you're trying to do.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (10-10-2011 05:54)

Thank you Jake

I did download both (from your previous links I believe) when I was still trying to resolve the inconsistencies of the original velocity strip in the NUMA Nero. PianoTuner is a great 'fix' for an imperfectly calibrated velocity strip, but the downside of any 'secondary' compension is that it cannot perfectly make up for the original inconsistencies. What I mean is that it is not going to change the original strips computations. With PNOscan, I am starting at the 'primary' source. I am able to calibrate perfectly this, or infact any, keybed. The difficulty I have had in choosing the global increment by which I compensate for the black/white velocity difference(s) has been in actually finding it. It has up till now been complete trial and error. I have now changed to '88' which on testing is much more level than the previous '96', but it may be slightly out +/-   It is the 'human' element that makes it difficult to align note-for-note curves. I have found that the bass is the 'litmus test' in the fact that it, compared to the rest of the range, most clearly exposes  any remaining inconsistencies. This is the best guide which I will use today to fine tune this increment, if need be. However, this is merely the 'global' increment after which will be micro tweaks! FUN!!!

Here's the latest demo .mp3 (last night [Sunday Oct. 9th)

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/8c68ca5bd...d341e47a7b

Thanks again Jake,

Kind Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (10-10-2011 09:12)

Chris,
I'm curious to know what MIDI the PNOScan system generates for the following test:

1) Play a note,  and keep the key held down.
2) Slowly release the key, just enough for the note to be terminated/damped. Mark this point, or memorise it.
3) Release the key fully.
4) Start recording MIDI events here.
5) Play a note, and keep the key held down
6) Slowly release the key to a point that is just below the damping point of return. I.e - the note should continue to sound. Hold the key very steady.
7) With the other hand, press down on the key again, all the way. 
8) Release the key all the way
9) Stop recording MIDI events.

To begin with, use the most basic MIDI mode if it has more than one method of generating MIDI

Yamaha and Casio tri-sensor actions will generate: Note-On, Note-On, Note-Off, Note-Off. ( I presume Roland would be the same)

Greg.

Last edited by skip (11-10-2011 11:16)

skip wrote:

Chris,
I'm curious to know what MIDI the PNOScan system generates for the following test:

1) Play a note,  and keep the key held down.
2) Slowly release the key, just enough for the note to be terminated/damped. Mark this point, or memorise it.
3) Release the key fully.
4) Start recording MIDI events here.
5) Play a note, and keep the key held down
6) Slowly release the key to a point that is just below the damping point of return. I.e - the note should continue to sound. Hold the key very steady.
7) With the other hand, press down on the key again, all the way. 
8) Release the key all the way
9) Stop recording MIDI events.

To begin with, use the most basic MIDI mode if it has more than one method of generating MIDI

Yamaha and Casio tri-sensor actions will generate: Note-On, Note-On, Note-Off, Note-Off. ( I presume Roland would be the same)

Greg.

Note-On, Note-Off, Note-On, Note-Off!!! Wiil check again now to see if I got it wrong!

Yep, note-on, note-off, note-on, note-off!!!

Chris,
Thanks for doing the test. Did you use Pianoteq to do the monitoring/recording? If not - what did you use? This is important, because some sequencers will translate the tri-sensor sequence (Note-On, Note-On, Note-Off, Note-Off) into "standard" Note-On/Note-Off pairs. My sequencer does this. (Ableton Live Lite) 

Anyway, assuming you used Pianoteq (which does faithfully record the raw MIDI from the controller), or some other raw recording utility, that means that the PNOScan system appears to emulate the double escapement in a different way to Yamaha and Casio.
The advantage of having the back to back Note-Ons is that the piano engine can in theory recognise that this is occurring, and impart a subtle change of timbre between successive notes, like occurs on a real piano, due to the hammer striking strings that are already vibrating.  PNOScan does not allow this to occur, because the piano engine will damp each note normally.   The advantage of the PNOScan method, however, is that the MIDI remains fully standard. IMHO the back to back Note-Ons is a fudge. ;^)

If PNOScan has a mode where it can generate some kind of extended MIDI format, it would be interesting to see how it behaved in that mode.  (quote from their web site: "Recordings can be output as standard MIDI files or on the on the QRS Pianomation® system for more dynamic playback." )

I've logged a feature request with Ableton to properly support tri-sensor keyboards. ;^) (it's a bit of a tricky problem, isn't it? It seems that we need a new note-specific sostenuto controller message for this feature!)

Greg.

Last edited by skip (12-10-2011 00:10)

Hi Greg,

I will do the test again shortly using the other mode on the PNOscan,

Regards,

Chris

skip wrote:

The advantage of having the back to back Note-Ons is that the piano engine can in theory recognise that this is occurring, and impart a subtle change of timbre between successive notes, like occurs on a real piano, due to the hammer striking strings that are already vibrating.  PNOScan does not allow this to occur, because the piano engine will damp each note normally.   The advantage of the PNOScan method, however, is that the MIDI remains fully standard. IMHO the back to back Note-Ons is a fudge. ;^)

By putting a note release velocity with a value of zero in the first note-off message, PNOScan could indicate that the note decays gradually after the first note-off message, rather than being cut off sharply. The midi rendering software could then recognise that the strings are still vibrating when the second note-on occurs. Pianoteq does recognise and take advantage of note release velocity information if it is supplied by the controller. I've no idea if PNOScan generates note release velocity but I think this would be the correct way to do it as it preserves  standard midi format (note-on, note-off, note-on, note-off).

John

John,
I like that idea a lot. That would also be a good way for a DAW to store the events! The DAW could have a "compatibility" setting to define how such a sequence would be rendered - either as is, or the Yamaha/Casio/Roland(?) way.   

Maybe PNOScan already does exactly this - Chris?

Just btw, all of my (small) collection of software pianos seem to behave well with the repeated Note-On sequence.  I'm not sure whether anything I have other than Pianoteq would honour release velocity. ;^)  Apparently the Galaxy pianos do NOT work properly with the repeated Note-Ons, but they are working on it. (I don't have any Galaxy pianos) I suspect it's purely by accident that the other ones work. ;^)

Greg.

Greg,

Mode 2 ('less dynamic range/loud' mode [my description]) Note-on, Note-off, Note-on, Note-off - just as Mode 1

Kind Regards,

Chris

A little homework today!

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2840/p1070193r.th.jpg
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6921/p1070192.th.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9640/p1070202y.th.jpg
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9444/p1070196v.th.jpg
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4310/p1070200e.th.jpg
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4214/p1070205.th.jpg
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/190/memo0002z.th.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5085/p1070207v.th.jpg
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/971/p1070208a.th.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3968/p1070209d.th.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5408/p1070210k.th.jpg

Last edited by sigasa (13-10-2011 20:56)

Chris, did you also check release velocity?

Can the double-escapement release point and full release points be adjusted?

EDIT: I guess the key retrigger adjustment would be equivalent to the double-escapement - yes?

Greg.

Last edited by skip (14-10-2011 01:02)

skip wrote:

Chris, did you also check release velocity?

Can the double-escapement release point and full release points be adjusted?

EDIT: I guess the key retrigger adjustment would be equivalent to the double-escapement - yes?

Greg.

It measures all key movements. I believe it does send key release midi
as it certainly measures it!

ALL piano specific midi is fully customisable using the PNOscan/WinNessie software. Key Trigger Position, Key Retrigger Window, Release position.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Chris

Chris,
Thanks again, and thanks for being patient. It looks like a very good system indeed.
Just by the way, I suspect there would be a lot of room in my Kawai MP9000 for the PNOScan sensor strip, because the existing (standard) sensors are right at the ends of the keys, on the hammers, near the capstans. (nowhere near where the PNOScan strip is placed) I think the same would apply to the current Kawai RM3 Grand action (and possibly some others?).  So, because both the sensors and the hammers are well out of the way, it might be an easy install.

Regarding the release velocity, what I really wanted to know was the actual release velocities that occur when you do that specific test sequence. (the test you have already performed, earlier).   It would also be good to know whether the release velocity for the first note-off is consistent, or whether it changes with the actual speed of repetition. If, by chance, it works like the way JohnG suggested, the release velocity for the first note-off should of course ALWAYS be zero, regardless of how fast the partial repeat is played.

Greg.

Greg,

I will have a look at the velocity figures. To be sure, are they the figures that are displayed in the PianoTeq midi dialogue during the test? How can I tell if PNOscan is transmitting release velocity?

Regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

I will have a look at the velocity figures. To be sure, are they the figures that are displayed in the PianoTeq midi dialogue during the test? How can I tell if PNOscan is transmitting release velocity?

Chris,

I think you will see one of the following three scenarios:

If PNOScan is transmitting release velocity it will show up in the Pianoteq midi dialogue window as a non-zero (and variable) velocity in the note-off messages.

If the velocity value in the note-off messages is always zero then it means that PNOScan is signalling a note-off event by sending a note-on midi message with a zero velocity instead of an explicit note-off message (this is a valid midi alternative to a note-off message).

If the velocity in the note-off messages is always the same (e.g. 64), then it indicates that PNOScan is sending true note-off messages but is not actually reporting release velocity.

regards,
John

Results as follows;

Note-on = variable
Note-off = 0
Note-on = variable
Note-off = 0

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (14-10-2011 20:20)

So that confirms PNOScan does not send key release velocity.

Thanks,
John

Chris, John, thanks for your help.

Just a nit - I'd prefer Pianoteq to display a Note-On that has a zero velocity as is, OR, perhaps, to display just "Note Off", without any velocity value at all. This would give us all the information. At the moment, it is impossible to distinguish between a true zero-velocity Note-Off, and a Note-On with zero velocity. 

As an aside, I notice that a zero velocity Note-Off in Pianoteq sounds like it is sustaining without any damping at all. (as long as the default velocity curve, that is flat-lined at 127, is of course altered to allow this)

Greg.

I have achieved my best calibration by far today. Results here
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/7a6866f4c...6134700e2f

Last edited by sigasa (15-10-2011 00:49)

Chris,

Out of curiosity, what is the technique you use for calibrating your keyboard ? Do you rely solely on your ears to judge the  relative volume of notes or do you also compare the midi velocities generated. Do you compare volume/velocities for adjacent notes and work your way along the keyboard ? How do you judge that you are striking the notes that you are comparing with the same force ?

On the separate issue of key release velocities I guess it would be a simple matter for PNOScan to generate these since it monitors the position of the key against time. Presumably QRS Technologies think there is no particular benefit of this, or that most software ignores it.

regards,
John

This post from Joseph Felice about release velocity makes a lot of sense:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...7428#p7428

However, remember that the main reason we were interested in release velocity initially in our discussion here was an alternative means of conveying damperless double-escapement repeats.  It appears that PNOScan does implement double-escapement repeats (repeats for relatively shallow key returns), but just not damperless. I accept that this is too is probably an extremely subtle thing to be concerned about.

Greg.
p.s I think it would be interestisting to see what a piano would sound like with metallic dampers. If Pianoteq ever models this, then release velocity may be more important. Hows that for a tangential thought. ;^)

Last edited by skip (16-10-2011 11:51)

johng wrote:

Chris,

Out of curiosity, what is the technique you use for calibrating your keyboard ? Do you rely solely on your ears to judge the  relative volume of notes or do you also compare the midi velocities generated. Do you compare volume/velocities for adjacent notes and work your way along the keyboard ? How do you judge that you are striking the notes that you are comparing with the same force ?

On the separate issue of key release velocities I guess it would be a simple matter for PNOScan to generate these since it monitors the position of the key against time. Presumably QRS Technologies think there is no particular benefit of this, or that most software ignores it.

regards,
John

John,

My technique has varied, but basically, PNOscan is highly accurate. However, I have still to figure out how to compensate for, even noe after all this time and work, irregular velocities, particularly the higher ones [velocities]. I have tried and tried to understand what is causing this. I think it may be in the hardware setup. But that doesn't really make much sense to me me because all notes work, full range etc. etc.. And each time I re-calibrate, the exact same notes behave in the same way no matter how I vary the calibration technique. I may seem like a perfectionist, I guess I do want it sounding as perfect as perfect can be, but that should be achieveable with PNOscan as it is optically precise and comes with debugging software. If only I understood it fully!!!

I am in no way complaining though. It is all good experience and I am very happy with the PNOscan itself. I only need to understand completely how to use the software and what it is that is causing the variations.

When I do, I will post detailed instructions on how to achieve perfectly uniform velocity. My demos sound ok, but PNOscan is capab;le of even better, I am convinced of this.

As an encouragement to anybody here looking for their 'dream' setup. DON'T GIVE UP. REMEMBER THOMAS ALVA EDISON! LIGHT BULB!!!

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (16-10-2011 22:30)

skip wrote:

This post from Joseph Felice about release velocity makes a lot of sense:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...7428#p7428

However, remember that the main reason we were interested in release velocity initially in our discussion here was an alternative means of conveying damperless double-escapement repeats.  It appears that PNOScan does implement double-escapement repeats (repeats for relatively shallow key returns), but just not damperless. I accept that this is too is probably an extremely subtle thing to be concerned about.

Greg.
p.s I think it would be interestisting to see what a piano would sound like with metallic dampers. If Pianoteq ever models this, then release velocity may be more important. Hows that for a tangential thought. ;^)

Greg, if you mean by damperless repeats, that you can play rapid repeating notes and during this control via your repeat technique whether the notes sustain during a trill (for example) or not, then YES, PNOscan does do this. I can play a trill above release point and the notes will not sustain, or below release point and they will - during the same trill. It all depends on how high I lift my fingers to trill. It can be controlled.

Regards,

Chris

[previous reply deleted - re-entering a new one]
Chris,
I think it would be more accurate to say that the PNOScan trills are "legato". They are not truly damperless - not in the same way that may result from the MIDI that is generated by a Yamaha or Casio tri-sensor keyboard. (I want to find out how Roland behaves too)  I say may, because it depends on the piano emulator itself how it responds.

The way PNOScan appears to work at the moment, it always sends a Note-Off before it sends the Note-On for the next note. That is equivalent to lifting the damper.  The repeated notes may well sound as if the damper is not being lifted, because there is only a tiny time delay between the Note-Off and the next Note-On, but it's not the same as simply not lifting the damper at all. However, it may be possible for the piano emulator to infer from the timing that the damper is not being lifted, and to then impart a change  of timbre between successive notes, due to the fact that the hammer is striking strings that are already vibrating.  It seems to me, though, that it would be easier for the emulator to deal with the MIDI sequence from current tri-sensor keyboards, because the fact that the damper is not lifted is conveyed more directly.

I will feed some different MIDI into Pianoteq and see how it sounds at the moment.

Note that if Pianoteq allocates a new voice for every repeat, and fades out the previous voice slowly (to avoid a click), there may well be a bit of phasing sound due to the interaction between the multiple voices sounding simultaneously for the same note. This may impart enough of a timbre change to avoid successive notes sounding identical, without requiring the tri-sensor back to back Note-Ons.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (16-10-2011 23:40)

I've just tested Pianoteq. There is no discernible difference in the sound between the two types of repetition sequences. ;^)  I can see that more concurrent voices are consumed for the back-to-back Note-On method, however, if there is any difference in the sound it is inconsequential.  (the polyphony count does increase a lot for a rapid single note repeat - about 16 for successive Note-Ons, and about 8 for standard Note-On/Note-Off pairs, but this will depend on the repetition rate too)

For rapid repeats, NEITHER method produces truly satisfying repeats - there are sequences of notes that sound 100% identical, interspersed with the odd note that sounds different - it does not sound very natural.  Will upload files a bit later.

Haven't tried any other virtual piano yet - I'll have to "play" the MIDI file to these, because I can't use my DAW due to the fact that it converts the tri-sensor MIDI sequence into standard Note-On/Note-Off pairs.

So, Chris - I agree with you. At the moment, Pianoteq is, to all intents and purposes, behaving the same.  Nevertheless, I would still feel better about PNOScan if it conveyed the damperless double-escapement repeats explicitly.

Greg.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...to_A88.mp3

Tonight I tried again to create uniformity. I sounds quite good as is, but I was unable to test the higher velocities as it was/is the early hours of the morning (now 03:13 - why am I still awake???)

I will test the higher velocities later on (after sleep!)

p.s. only done from middle see upwards to A88 (top piano A)

Regards,

Chris

The file in the above post is only 96 encoded. Pretty poor quality. I will split the file and post a 160 encoded mp3 demo shortly. May I encourage anyone with Focusrite's VRM monitoring hardware i.e. VRM Box or Saffire Pro 24 VRM, to listen to the file I will post next through the virtual AURATONE 5G monitors on the 'PROFESSIONAL STUDIO' setting.

kind Regards,

Chris

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...ncoded.mp3

as described in previous post,

Regards,

Chris

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...0.2011.mp3

Best yet, close to absolute uniformity!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci...5AAB24!667

Middle Eb to C#

lots of work, good result

Regards,

Chris

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci...5AAB24!669

escapement inherent in TP40WOOD as demonstrated here.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,
Are you referring to the slight "give" in the action, as the key moves down?  If so, do you have the "ES: mechanical Escapment Touch Feeling Kit " option, which is mentioned here:  http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40WOOD.htm

Thanks,
Greg.

skip wrote:

Chris,
Are you referring to the slight "give" in the action, as the key moves down?  If so, do you have the "ES: mechanical Escapment Touch Feeling Kit " option, which is mentioned here:  http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40WOOD.htm

Thanks,
Greg.

Yes, on key depress there is a slight build up to escapement point at which there is a sudden give (or release) and the key finishes it's travel.

No, there is no escapement kit in this keybed. It is just designed this way. As soon as I took out the silicone plungers, I could feel this escapement point so clearly. The rubbery spongey silicone of the original midi strip disguises this feeling.

It is actually a much better 'grand touch action' than people realise. And I only found this out becasue I had to take out the original strip to install PNOscan, which of course is a 'non-contact' optical strip. This means that you only feel the action itself, and nothing else i.e. no spongey rubber/silicone.

Hope this explains Greg,

Kind Regards,

Chris

Thanks - all clear. I have a bit of that spongy feeling in my Casio too.

Greg.

Here is a better example. The weight is perfect. Sometimes it goes past this point, sometimes not. Therefore you can clearly see the point at which this 'escapement or release or let-off takes place.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci...5AAB24!671

Regards,

Chris

STICKERS!!!!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci...5AAB24!675